Age of the earth

Age of the earth

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
04 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @great-king-rat
No-one knows.
No-one knows for sure.
There are theories, some more credible than others.

h

Moves
04 Oct 17

Originally posted by @fabianfnas
No-one knows for sure.
There are theories, some more credible than others.
yes, and the least credible of them (including the none scientific ones) is that a bearded old white man did it by magic.

E

Moves
04 Oct 17

The Big Bang.

What caused the big bang? No-one knows.
So you are saying there is no natural explanation.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
04 Oct 17

Originally posted by @eladar
Any explanation will ultimately be natural.

But in the meantime: goddidit (so no more research necessary)

Infidel

Moves
04 Oct 17

As far as I know, the lightest atoms were created during the Big Bang (been a while since I read about this, so I may be misremembering some stuff. Pretty sure Wikipedia has more details) whereas heavier atoms are created in the cores of stars and freakish things such as supernovas and hypernovas. So yes, for atoms (and their building blocks) there are "natural" explanations.

As far as timepoint zero of the big bang and the "energy" in there... no, I'm pretty sure science currently has no explanation(s) for this "event".

There may be wild theories, but to be fair they are, AFAIK, heavy on the fiction and light on the science. So, with no solid scientific explanation for the time being we'll have to do with "dunno". What's more, this may very well be something we'll never be able to explain.

E

Moves
04 Oct 17

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
Any explanation will ultimately be natural.

But in the meantime: goddidit (so no more research necessary)
Thanks for you testimonial.

E

Moves
04 Oct 17

As far as I know, the lightest atoms were created during the Big Bang (been a while since I read about this, so I may be misremembering some stuff. Pretty sure Wikipedia has more details) whereas heavier atoms are created in the cores of stars and freakish things such as supernovas and hypernovas. So yes, for atoms (and their building blocks) there a ...[text shortened]... to do with "dunno". What's more, this may very well be something we'll never be able to explain.
We'll never be able to explain.

Thanks for your honesty.

Infidel

Moves
04 Oct 17

We'll never be able to explain.

Thanks for your honesty.
"... may very well be..."

You're welcome.

h

Moves
04 Oct 17
1 edit

Obviously wrong.
Once nobody knew the explanation for rainbows. Now we know of the natural explanation (refraction) . Each time we find a natural explanation of something, that is one less place for the fictitious god/gods to hide. There is no reason to think that, in the future, we necessarily cannot possibly ever know the natural explanation of the big bang. Science has a habit of changing unknowns to knows.

E

Moves
04 Oct 17

Originally posted by @humy
Obviously wrong.
Once nobody knew the explanation for rainbows. Now we know of the natural explanation (refraction) . Each time we find a natural explanation of something, that is one less place for the fictitious god/gods to hide. There is no reason to think that, in the future, we necessarily cannot possibly ever know the natural explanation of the big bang.
So you argue even though there is no explanation, there might be in the future, so there really is an explanation.

F

Moves
04 Oct 17

So you argue even though there is no explanation, there might be in the future, so there really is an explanation.
You don't even believe in the scientific explanation about rainbows?
Another 'goddidit' explanation?

E

Moves
04 Oct 17
1 edit

You don't even believe in the scientific explanation about rainbows?
Another 'goddidit' explanation?
Where did I say that?

I believe God created the universe and the natural laws under which it functions.

F

Moves
04 Oct 17

Where did I say that?

I believe God created the universe and the natural laws under which it functions.
And this is exactly the wrong place to preach those ideas - because this is the Science Forum.

E

Moves
04 Oct 17

And this is exactly the wrong place to preach those ideas - because this is the Science Forum.
You are the one bringing it up.

F

Moves
04 Oct 17

You are the one bringing it up.
As do you.
I skip it if you skip it.