1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    14 Aug '22 17:531 edit
    https://www.grunge.com/731050/why-the-past-present-and-future-may-exist-all-at-once/
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 15:05
    @ogb
    I presume that means all time is like on a movie reel where we could see any time if we had the right tools.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Aug '22 07:40
    @ogb said
    https://www.grunge.com/731050/why-the-past-present-and-future-may-exist-all-at-once/
    If "all trime exist now", how can we avoid that bodies crash into each other, which we would perseive to take the sam space one after another?
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 02:08
    @ponderable said
    If "all trime exist now", how can we avoid that bodies crash into each other, which we would perseive to take the sam space one after another?
    i think it would exist in distinct spaces, although the units of distinction are unclear.

I'm pretty sure that none of us really exist. This is a computer simulation of reality.
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 04:31
    It seems to me that a lot of these kinds of articles boil down to the question of how to define time.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 06:171 edit
    It seems the discussion might be talking more about other universes, co-existing in maybe slightly different dimensions, or even phases, than other times.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 17:57
    @Suzianne
    I wonder what exactly they mean by the idea all time is squashed into one unit, what that means considering that is not the way WE experience time.
    Time as a dimension where all time is in one "place"?
    The other dimensions hypothesized by theories like string theory are said to be hiding out in plain sight, just like extremely rolled up dimensions like a soda straw and one kind of experiment to try to suss that out is to measure the strength of gravity at closer and closer distances, I think they are measuring something like a millimeter difference looking for measurable changes in the inverse square law of gravitational attraction.
    So far no joy even at 1 mm. They are preparing experiments to get that distance down to 100 micron, 1/10th of a millimeter, not sure if that has been successful yet.
    It is clearly very tricky to measure inverse square at that kind of distance separating two masses.
    One thing, it has to be done in a vacuum because I think they rely on the two masses swinging by each other measuring the attraction between them but at micron levels you have to deal with the virtual particles flashing in and out of existence in nanosecond time frames, that has been measured by plates very close together, called the Casimir effect, the virtual particles tend to push the horizontal plates together with some small force because virtual particles tend not to be there in the space between the plates and the virtual particles on the outside of the plates tend to make a force pushing them together. So forces like that has to be taken into account at sub millimeter distances measuring gravity.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    26 Aug '22 19:53
    I don't think the original post here should have been down-rated. The Webb telescope thread ogb posted was recently deleted by the poster, and I think we're verging on becoming an insular bunch that scares off folks who have a genuine curiosity about scientific topics.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '22 00:06
    @ogb said
    Is this about whether or not fatalism exists? The implication is that there is no free will and nothing you can do will change your future. Is the way we will all die set in stone? If so, why bother going on a healthy diet, wearing a seat belt or motorcycle helmet? It will not change anything, right?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Aug '22 10:54
    @Metal-Brain
    You have free choice. You can take a pistol and shoot yourself any time you want.
    You can take that free choice and NOT shoot yourself too.
    You can not drink water for a week and you die or you drink water and live.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '22 20:28
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You have free choice. You can take a pistol and shoot yourself any time you want.
    You can take that free choice and NOT shoot yourself too.
    You can not drink water for a week and you die or you drink water and live.
    I agree. There is no fatalism.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Aug '22 22:17
    @ogb

No.
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    29 Aug '22 17:59
    @sonhouse said

I wonder what exactly they mean by the idea all time is squashed into one unit, what that means considering that is not the way WE experience time.
    Time as a dimension where all time is in one "place"?
    Sonhouse... your example of the soda straw introduces another dimension . That's confusing to me when trying to understand Time/Space. How can all time exist at once, when time is relative? So does that mean space (and dimensions) are relative, too ?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 03:43
    @ogb
    The soda straw analogy is about just hypotheses not proven yet so the curled up nature of these supposed extra dimensions may have nothing to do with reality.
    Unless some real evidence turns up, it is just a hypothesis. More like a thought experiment than reality, at least at this point in time. What will show up a hundred years from now as science advances is another story, totally unknown to us ATT.
  15. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 04:26
    https://whatifshow.com/what-if-you-met-a-time-traveler/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree