1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 08:42
    @metal-brain said
    I agree. There is no fatalism.
    So do I.
    There are precautions you can take to increase your chances of survival,but the outcome can never be guaranteed.
    You may be fully protected to ride your motorbike,and be fatally attacked on the way to the garage.
  2. Joined
    08 Dec '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '22 20:32
  3. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    29 Oct '22 22:18
    @damionhonegan said
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwzN5YwMzv0
    great video Sabine clearly agrees that there is a Block of Time, and everything that has happened, and will happen already exists in the Block of time.. Even Einstein agrees.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '22 01:531 edit
    @mlb62 said
    great video Sabine clearly agrees that there is a Block of Time, and everything that has happened, and will happen already exists in the Block of time.. Even Einstein agrees.
    How do you know the future already exists? I like Sabine's videos for the most part, but I don't think she explained how the future has already been determined. Here is the video I saw before and I am still not compelled to agree with her just because the brain is made of particles. It is like she is giving science with the gobbly gook.

YouTube
  5. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    30 Oct '22 03:001 edit
    @metal-brain said
    How do you know the future already exists? I like Sabine's videos for the most part,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpU_e3jh_FY
    I very much agree with her, about free will is an illusion. So there is nothing anyone can do to change the future because its already here. Its been here since the big bang.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '22 06:25
    @mlb62 said
    I very much agree with her, about free will is an illusion. So there is nothing anyone can do to change the future because its already here. Its been here since the big bang.
    What did she say that compelled you to believe her?
    I don't recall her explaining anything that convinced me.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Oct '22 13:24
    @mlb62 said
    This all sounds a bit far fetched to me and I didn't really follow ,or be convinced by, the video.
    Just to clarify,If I am destined to be murdered by my wife in Nicaragua on the 24th of May 2029 there's nothing any of us can do about it?
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    01 Nov '22 03:17

Removed by poster

9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '22 02:43
    @venda
    Good point.
    It isn't only the big events in your life that would have to be fate. Every little choice you make in your life could result in a different timeline of events. A seemingly insignificant choice could result in meeting someone you otherwise would not have. Every little thing in your life would have to be fate. That time I fell asleep and burned that apple crisp could be important to how the future plays out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect
  10. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    02 Nov '22 09:58
    @metal-brain said
    @venda
    Good point.
    It isn't only the big events in your life that would have to be fate. Every little choice you make in your life could result in a different timeline of events. A seemingly insignificant choice could result in meeting someone you otherwise would not have. Every little thing in your life would have to be fate. That time I fell asleep and burned that app ...[text shortened]... sp could be important to how the future plays out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect
    Looking back,I can think of numerous decisions and events that changed my life forever.
    I can't believe they were all inevitable
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Nov '22 17:31
    @venda
    Seems to me there are too many variables to say there is no free will.
    Someone shoots at you, the wind moves the bullet that one inch out of the say so it misses. That example would be the uncontrolled forces of nature getting in the way of an intention to kill.
    If we say there is no free will then you would be also saying some god controls the movement of every atom in the universe and runs things how it wants.

For one thing, I don't thing a god would set up such a situation where said god WANTS to control every atom in the universe.
    That seems a stupid proposition from the get go.
    I can't imagine a being with god like powers actually WANTING to control every atom in the universe.

Without that god running every atom in the universe, then the universe is in free flow and anything can happen, like the death knell dealt 66 million years ago marking the end of the age of dinosaurs.
    One would have to imagine a god DECIDING it was time to end dinosaurs.

Just about as likely as Earth being flat.
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    04 Nov '22 16:42
    @mlb62 said
    Sonhouse... your example of the soda straw introduces another dimension . That's confusing to me when trying to understand Time/Space. How can all time exist at once, when time is relative? So does that mean space (and dimensions) are relative, too ?
    If all time exists at once then I cannot see that there is any such thing as time.
    If it does not exist as a linear progression from point a to point b then it’s a separate thing from the concept we may have developed in order to make sense of our own perceptions.
    Perhaps there are an infinite streams of time running simultaneously.
    Would time exist with out the existence of sentience to experience it. Or is the illusion of time dependent on the existence of a sentient being.
  13. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    04 Nov '22 20:06
    @kevcvs57 said
    If all time exists at once then I cannot see that there is any such thing as time.
    If it does not exist as a linear progression from point a to point b then it’s a separate thing from the concept we may have developed in order to make sense of our own perceptions.
    Perhaps there are an infinite streams of time running simultaneously.
    Would time exist with out the existence ...[text shortened]... ntience to experience it. Or is the illusion of time dependent on the existence of a sentient being.
    I think both.
    Plants and creatures have little or no sense of time although some creatures will have memories eg "the last time I attacked this creature I had a bad experience"-a predator attacking a porcupine for example.
    Very young children have little sense of time. Everything is "now".
    They don't care what happened yesterday or what might happen tomorrow
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Nov '22 18:39
    @venda
    My guess is those theorists are making the case that all the events in the universe, an asteroid hitting Earth killing dino's, the Vesuvius eruption and the like, are like stills on a movie where each 'still' is some coordinate system where each time hack is quantized, each time hack being something like 10 to the minus 33 seconds per hack as just an example and each tick follows another because of forces in the universe having been laid out or some such, where if you were a god, you could jump from time frame to time frame like looking at individual stills in a movie.
    The thing is, that is all conjecture, there is nothing they can point to as a way to prove or disprove that concept. I think it fails the falsifiability test.
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    09 Nov '22 01:51
    @sonhouse said
    @ogb
    I presume that means all time is like on a movie reel where we could see any time if we had the right tools.
    Each "frame" must be distinguishable from another by being given some unique label, or else there is an inherent order. The latter is more sensible, and is essentially a labeling scheme using the inherent order of the integers. This is an extra coordinate, otherwise known as a dimension, and we may as well call that dimension...time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree