1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 19:55
    http://phys.org/news/2013-11-evolution-debate-engulfs-texas-board.html#firstCmt

Now the argument is over textbooks for biology.

Another really annoying attack: The objection is since evolution does not cover creation the entire science must be wrong.

Pardon me while I puke.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 23:01
    Yesterday I watched the first hour of this long (4 1/2 hour!) video rebutting creationists like Kent Hovind and Kirk Cameron. I will probably finish it by the end of the week.

YouTube
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 00:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2013-11-evolution-debate-engulfs-texas-board.html#firstCmt
    Now the argument is over textbooks for biology.
    Another really annoying attack: The objection is since evolution does not cover creation the entire science must be wrong.

Pardon me while I puke.
    They also decided that high school students no longer are required to take Algebra 2 in order to graduate. 🙄🙄
  4. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 01:42
    Originally posted by caissad4
    They also decided that high school students no longer are required to take Algebra 2 in order to graduate. 🙄🙄
    Here I thought kids were at that level by 9th grade. History is the area that needs scrutinized in terms of accuracy. If I remember right science talked about evolution and a blurb about creation when I was going through the pipeline.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 03:27
    In the US many kids get college diplomas and are unable to understand Algebra 2.

I don't think that's bad. I don't see why everyone is forced into algebra. Most people never use it.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 05:52
    Originally posted by Eladar
    In the US many kids get college diplomas and are unable to understand Algebra 2.

I don't think that's bad. I don't see why everyone is forced into algebra. Most people never use it.
    Algebra hones one's analytical thinking skills and grasp of logic.

Most people never "use" history or literature in their daily lives, either. Shall we toss them out, too?
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 09:553 edits
    Originally posted by Soothfast

Most people never "use" history or literature in their daily lives, either. Shall we toss them out, too?
    well said.
    And most people never "use" science knowledge in their daily lives.
    Toss that out and it's goodby progress and hello stone age.
    I think I should also point out that algebra is very important in science!
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 11:00

The only reason they never use it is because your education system is so bad that they never learn it in the first place. Anyone who has learnt it, uses it.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 16:20
    There is no need to hold up a person from graduating from high school just because they have no credit for algebra 2. That can be learned in college, if necessary. I am not aware of any jobs available to high school graduates in the U.S. that require a need for understanding algebra 2.

The Instructor
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 14:26
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There is no need to hold up a person from graduating from high school just because they have no credit for algebra 2. That can be learned in college, if necessary. I am not aware of any jobs available to high school graduates in the U.S. that require a need for understanding algebra 2.

The Instructor
    Just another symptom of why the US has fallen so far behind the rest of the developed world in education and science. Again, you are part of the problem not the solution.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 17:05
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Just another symptom of why the US has fallen so far behind the rest of the developed world in education and science. Again, you are part of the problem not the solution.
    The U.S.A. is not far behind at all. That is just propaganda.

The Instructor
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 03:13
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The U.S.A. is not far behind at all. That is just propaganda.

The Instructor
    Only in the estimate of your ruined brain. We are somewhere around #17 by many tests of educational achievement.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 17:35
    Originally posted by Soothfast

If you don't understand what you are doing and totally forget everything within a few months, what use was it?
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 18:365 edits
    If you don't understand what you are doing and totally forget everything within a few months, what use was it?
    Isn't that missing the point?
    That's like saying knowing all about medicine is useless because most people don't!!
    It (algebra, just like medial knowledge ) is useful, both to some individuals that know it and to society as a whole, because some people DO understand and remember it and then go on from there to USE it!

And the more people learn algebra, the more benefit society will get out of it. At least just for the simplest most basic algebra that you would be most likely to want to use, it is not as if it difficult to learn! I am sure at least 95% of people can learn just the very basic algebra with ease if only they had good tuition. I for one certainly could teach you or almost anyone else it so they understand it (to a basic level -not so sure about the really advanced stuff that involves matrices combined with imaginary numbers etc )

Something doesn't have to be understood and used by the majority of people to be useful!
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 19:10
    Originally posted by humy
    Isn't that missing the point?
    That's like saying knowing all about medicine is useless because most people don't!!
    It (algebra, just like medial knowledge ) is useful, both to some individuals that know it and to society as a whole, because some people DO understand and remember it and then go on from there to USE it!

And the more people learn alge ...[text shortened]...
    Something doesn't have to be understood and used by the majority of people to be useful!
    I didn't say it wasn't useful. I just said taking it is a waste of time, money and effort for many. Making it a requirement for all is simply stupid.