1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '13 17:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Here is the thing: A HS student most often does not know WHAT he or she will be taking in college. It is best to be well rounded educationally and algebra trains you in problem solving techniques that can have benefits in other areas even if it is not directly involved in math. So you can't say when a kid is 16 in most cases just what they want to do 2 or 3 ...[text shortened]... want after all. Can't have people actually using their brains to think through your line of BS.
    As I understand it, we were talking only about Algebra II being required for graduating HS. Those students that want to learn Algebra II will pick it, if they find Algebra I interesting. There is no need to require Algebra II or Spanish II to graduate. If the students are interested in learning more in these areas they will pick them.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '13 20:19
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Are you basing your opinions upon empirical statistically significant surveys of large
    numbers of school children from a representative range of backgrounds in a representative
    range of schools... Or are you basing it on your own limited perspective as a teacher where
    the students likely to stand out and be noticed are the trouble makers and those that don't
    want to learn?
    I am basing my observation on 15 years of teaching in 2 different districts and 4 different schools, as well as my year substitute teaching for many different schools and school districts.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Dec '13 21:34
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It would be better for everyone if those who don't wish to learn were not in school at all.

Schools are jammed packed with kids who don't want to learn,
    A teacher with this attitude will probably find his/her pupils do not want to learn.

In my experience all students want to learn. It's the tasks we provide them
    with that they sometimes find boring. (My experience is only up to Year8
    so I admit I haven't had a class of older teens trying to act cool!)
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '13 23:352 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    A teacher with this attitude will probably find his/her pupils do not want to learn.

In my experience all students want to learn. It's the tasks we provide them
    with that they sometimes find boring. (My experience is only up to Year8
    so I admit I haven't had a class of older teens trying to act cool!)
    Exactly what is your experience? A student's experience is very limited.

Btw, it was not an attitude. It was an observation. You can ask any teacher in the public school system who teaches general level kids and they will repeat what I've said.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '13 23:51
    It appears to me that most students at the HS level are more interested in learning how to be popular and sports than in learning academics.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 19:07
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It appears to me that most students at the HS level are more interested in learning how to be popular and sports than in learning academics.
    Speaking of sports, the local school district canceled school today because the football team made the state championship game!
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 19:24
    Speaking of sports, the local school district canceled school today because the football team made the state championship game!
    I know American football is a very important activity in Texas.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 20:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I know American football is a very important activity in Texas.
    I'm in Oklahoma.
  9. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 08:04
    I am basing my observation on 15 years of teaching in 2 different districts and 4 different schools, as well as my year substitute teaching for many different schools and school districts.
    You teach? I guess they mean it when they say only dumb people are teachers... how did they word it? Oh yeah... those who can't do, teach.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 16:201 edit
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    You teach? I guess they mean it when they say only dumb people are teachers... how did they word it? Oh yeah... those who can't do, teach.
    I've seen a lot of pretty stupid teachers.

My math test scores consistently placed me in the top 95th-99th percentile. In 7th grade I took the SAT as part of a program out of Princeton.

I've taught everything from 7th grade math through AP Calculus.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 18:53
    Originally posted by humy
    I believe that forcing kids to take a class that they do not learn from is a waste of time.

So are you implying that kids cannot learn maths so it is a wast of time trying?
    If so, then it is strange that both I and, with just one exception, all the kids that I knew at school learned maths just fine; the exception being a certain psychop ...[text shortened]... choose to be a toilet cleaner if you don't know maths and insisted on never learning it.
    You Knew RJ when he was in High School? Wow.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 21:411 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You Knew RJ when he was in High School? Wow.
    Actually it just goes to show how ignorant humy actually is when it comes to the problems in education we have in the US.

I'd say you are probably pretty ignorant too. How many years have put in the classroom beyond your student years?
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 21:43

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 21:48
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    It takes, or should take, only minimal wits to insult the likes of Eladar without also insulting all teachers everywhere. Effin' moron.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 21:56
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    It takes, or should take, only minimal wits to insult the likes of Eladar without also insulting all teachers everywhere. Effin' moron.
    As you can see from my reply to his post he was completely wrong about me, but was right about many other teachers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree