1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Dec '13 09:14
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    Actually the most literate city in the world is in the USA. That city is Seattle, Washington.
    We are talking statistically. One literate city doesn't compensate for 1000 illiterate ones.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    06 Dec '13 09:445 edits
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    Children learning quicker than adults is a myth. Depending on what age you classify children and adults.
    "learning" what? I was talking specifically about algebra (and nothing else ) which is a language of sorts.

It is a well known documented fact that Children of virtually all ages find it easier and quicker to learn a foreign language than an adult. This is because the child's brain generally has greater flexibility and adaptability and the ability to rapidly grow new neural connections when it comes to learning language while adults, don't. I would surely think the same must be true for algebra because, after all, although it is not a 'natural language', it is a kind of language nevertheless.

My mother, who is perfectly intelligent, never went to school and thus never learned algebra. She once tried to learn it as an adult and she for one will testify to how hard it is to learn such a thing (she never had any success ) if you were never taught algebra at school! This has meant that, hypothetically, if she wanted a career in science or engineering, extremely sadly, she would just have to forget it! -and that just would not be fair.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '13 22:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is a waste of time trying to teach and advance course in anything to someone who has not done the beginner course. You are basically talking about students who didn't do enough math in school, then get to college and want to do something that requires math. And they fail as a result.
    Surely this is a good argument for improving math education in schoo ...[text shortened]... o the more advanced math have little hope of doing anything science related at university level.
    They pass their college algebra class. They just get nothing out of it.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Dec '13 23:26
    Originally posted by Eladar
    They pass their college algebra class. They just get nothing out of it.
    Maybe the learning gets buried but it is still there, their brains are better off for the learning, even if it doesn't show up right away.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 19:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Maybe the learning gets buried but it is still there, their brains are better off for the learning, even if it doesn't show up right away.
    You know that they learned something that is simply buried?

I take it that you are against testing in general because it can't test knowledge that's buried.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 02:00
    Originally posted by humy
    who is saying all collage students require algebra? It obviously depends on what they are learning. If it is physics or physics-related then algebra is absolutely essential and if it is art it is certainly not.
    golden ratio?
  7. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 02:43
    I didn't say it wasn't useful. I just said taking it is a waste of time, money and effort for many. Making it a requirement for all is simply stupid.
    Yep, let's just keep dumbing down education in the US. If a kid doesn't understand something in 5 seconds with little effort, let's just toss it out. Why ruin their childhood by making them work their brains a bit.
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 03:49
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Yep, let's just keep dumbing down education in the US. If a kid doesn't understand something in 5 seconds with little effort, let's just toss it out. Why ruin their childhood by making them work their brains a bit.
    I believe that is one of the main objectives of the Texas Board of Education. 🙄🙄
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 09:59
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    golden ratio?
    oh yes 🙂 forgot about that. So algebra even has its uses in art. Come to think of it, there is also fractal art.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 11:59
    Originally posted by humy
    oh yes 🙂 forgot about that. So algebra even has its uses in art. Come to think of it, there is also fractal art.
    One of my daughter's master projects at Wesleyan (music composition) was to make what she called a fractal drum.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 15:27
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There is no need to hold up a person from graduating from high school just because they have no credit for algebra 2. That can be learned in college, if necessary. I am not aware of any jobs available to high school graduates in the U.S. that require a need for understanding algebra 2.

The Instructor
    electrician

just to show how ridiculous that claim is.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 18:37
    Originally posted by Phranny
    If you want to make kids learn then require them to pass a competency exam. Making them take a class, but not requiring them to learn is what we have today.

It is a total waste of time and money.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 20:431 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    electrician

just to show how ridiculous that claim is.
    Algebra I and Spanish I is good enough for most high school students in Texas. Algebra II and Spanish II should be elective, as well as any courses to be an electrician, carpenter, etc.

P.S. I graduated from a high school in Texas many years ago. I remember taking geometry, trigonometry, and Algebra I and II, but only Spanish I. I still qualified to enter college. Some chose to take vocational courses, like 4H or carpentry, instead.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 01:15
    If you want to make kids learn then require them to pass a competency exam. Making them take a class, but not requiring them to learn is what we have today.

It is a total waste of time and money.
    How would you go about "requiring" students to learn?
    Are you going to turn pedagogy upside down with your revelations?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 01:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    How would you go about "requiring" students to learn?
    Are you going to turn pedagogy upside down with your revelations?
    That would be where inspiring teachers come in. If the teachers are the result of the previous generation of so-so education, what do you think the next generation is going to get in the way of teachers?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree