Is our future history?

Is our future history?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
11 Jun 12

Originally posted by Thequ1ck
If time travel eventually becomes possible, will the stories of Jesus and other mythologies actually be the workings of our future selves telling fables of our current day and futures?

Shouldn't the notion of a temporal loop be our new religion?
As far as I can tell, this last question doesn't even really have much meaning.

Richard

K

Germany

Moves
11 Jun 12

So we need to reduce religion to a hypothesis or else eradicate it?

Suppose we do manage to hypothesise existence, what would the leading theory be?
Since religion does not attempt to explain anything, Occam's razor does not apply to it.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
11 Jun 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
Also, all those future time travellers will be getting influenced by other time travellers who come after (or came before).

The reason why time travel is impossible, is there is always some lunatic that goes back and kills the guy that invented it.
Suicide?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Jun 12

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7214412/Heinlein-Robert-a-All-You-Zombies

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
12 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Since religion does not attempt to explain anything, Occam's razor does not apply to it.
Maybe it's not the sharpest tool in the box then.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
12 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
As far as I can tell, this last question doesn't even really have much meaning.

Richard
Of course it does. It's the difference between looking forward and looking back.

One creates, one destroys.

Big difference. Apparently...

K

Germany

Moves
12 Jun 12

Maybe it's not the sharpest tool in the box then.
Even the sharpest tool does not work if you apply it to nothing.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
12 Jun 12

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Even the sharpest tool does not work if you apply it to nothing.
Does not work or does not have an effect?

Moves
12 Jun 12

Does not work or does not have an effect?
Is there a difference?

Take a sharp knife and try cutting a vacuum with it...

Is it the knife's fault if the vacuum is not now in two pieces?

Note: vacuum here meaning a volume of empty space and not a household cleaning tool.
For some reason I feel that I need to make this clear... can't for the life of me think why...

Moves
14 Jun 12

Of course it does. It's the difference between looking forward and looking back.

One creates, one destroys.
And what, pray, does that mean? In scientific terms, not in sociology waffle?

Richard

Moves
14 Jun 12

The word religion describes a certain set of beliefs.

While all religions are different they do all (unless you can describe an example otherwise) have one thing in common.

They ALL include a faith based belief in some kind of life after death for us humans.

Many also include beliefs in a deity or deities and all kinds of other nonsense but the thing that they all have in common
that is the hall mark of a belief set that can be classed as a religion is belief in life after death.

Thus whatever the hell "Shouldn't the notion of a temporal loop be our new religion?" actually means...

And as far as I can tell it's meaningless nonsense...

There is nothing about the idea of temporal loops (whatever they are) as far as I can tell that includes or suggests
a life after death.

Thus my answer must be no. Whatever the hell belief in this is, it is not a religion or religious belief.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
15 Jun 12

Originally posted by googlefudge

While all religions are different they do all (unless you can describe an example otherwise) have one thing in common.

They ALL include a faith based belief in some kind of life after death for us humans.

Many also include beliefs in a deity or deities and all kinds of other nonsense but the ...[text shortened]... r must be no. Whatever the hell belief in this is, it is not a religion or religious belief.

This song says it all for me. But I will BE right back to you on the language stuff.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
15 Jun 12

Many also include beliefs in a deity or deities and all kinds of other nonsense but the ...[text shortened]... r must be no. Whatever the hell belief in this is, it is not a religion or religious belief.
Yes, I can provide an example. Of a successful 'religion' as you put it.

Buddhism.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
15 Jun 12
4 edits

Many also include beliefs in a deity or deities and all kinds of other nonsense but the r must be no. Whatever the hell belief in this is, it is not a religion or religious belief.
Faith based and life after death. Aren't those just atrophies of the mind?

Moves
15 Jun 12

Yes, I can provide an example. Of a successful 'religion' as you put it.

Buddhism.
Actually no, Buddhism does include a notion of life after death (of a sorts).

However they don't like to admit it.

Aaron Rah did some digging on this including going to a number of Buddhist temples and
questioning the monks there and he did get them to (grudgingly) admit that they do believe
in a continuation of 'something' after death.

Can't find any of the video's right now where he talks about this (there are several) but I will
post one when I next come across it.