1. Germany
    Moves
    31 Jul '11 17:14
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Many diseases evolve a resistance to antibiotics. Selective breeding is good evidence that species evolve. Dogs evolved from wolves and there were selective breeding experiments using foxes by the Soviets that are very convincing.
    Just because we have not witnessed a change in species during our lifetimes does not mean it does not happen. Different spec ...[text shortened]... r of chromosomes than both parents.
    Does all of this meet your criteria for "valid proof"?
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '11 21:52
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The theory of evolution does not explain the origin of life, nor is the origin of life relevant for the validity of the theory of evolution. Biological evolution is a specific case of a more general algorithm that also appears in computer science, economics, language, and more.
    They need better evolution teachers here in the US. I guess its just being mis-represented.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Jul '11 22:162 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    They need better evolution teachers here in the US. I guess its just being mis-represented.
    In the bible belt it is deliberate obfuscation so they can tear down evolution as a subject to be taught in science, instead, the right wing christian nutjobs want to teach impressionable young people that creationism it the ONLY way to view life. One step from being Iranized.

In their fight against evolution, they profess an interest in science. The real interest is to DESTROY science, any science that refutes the biblical fairy tale of creation as if it were real.

The story is real, just as valid as the Inuit version of creation and the Australian aborigine version. Also just as false.

You can't expect people who have seen many cultures up close to believe a god would allow thousands of versions of creation, some of which are diametrically opposed to one another, only to have ONE out of thousands be the real story and ALL the others false.

If that is the case AND there is a god, that god is certifiably insane.

Not someone I would want to have in charge of MY life.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 04:33
    I am glad to see that evolution has gotten over here on the science forum
    where it belongs. I hope it doesn't come back to the spirituality forum.
    I hope there are some real scientist on this forum. Have a good discussion.
    I will be happy to leave you alone now.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 05:15
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am glad to see that evolution has gotten over here on the science forum
    where it belongs.
    Wow! Finally, you are admitting that the Theory of Evolution is science. A while back you would have claimed it was a religion.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 05:48
    I thought...
    See, right there -- that's where you went wrong.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 09:56
    They probably do. It's the theory of evolution, not the theory of genesis. It explains how lifeforms evolve from earlier lifeforms. To start this process, you first need some kind of "life". How this life came to be on Earth is an interesting question, but the theory of evolution does not concern itself with this question. You don't need to understand bird trekking patterns for quantum mechanics to be valid, either.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 23:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Wow! Finally, you are admitting that the Theory of Evolution is science. A while back you would have claimed it was a religion.
    It is the common belief held by those who propose it that is a religion.

Once you make it the origin of life and a totally natural process outside of God's influence or control that you make it a religion.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 00:421 edit

Once you make it the origin of life and a totally natural process outside of God's influence or control that you make it a religion.
    What is it with you? You are stuck on the idea that evolution talks about the origin of life. How many times and how many people do you need to tell you evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life?

What part of 'its all about what happened to life AFTER life started' do you not understand?

You figure continually throwing in the strawman of genesis that is a valid argument against evolution?

You really need to get outside more, smell the roses.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 09:541 edit
    Am I the only one amused by Eladar's use of "religion" as an insult?
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 10:17
    I'm sorry, but you simply do not know what you are talking about.

Not about evolution and not about religion.

Go back to talking about how the gods were astronauts, that's more your level.

Richard
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 18:55
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Am I the only one amused by Eladar's use of "religion" as an insult?
    It's not an insult. It is the truth. It is only those who look down on religion that would consider it an insult.

Words are telling.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 18:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is it with you? You are stuck on the idea that evolution talks about the origin of life. How many times and how many people do you need to tell you evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life?

What part of 'its all about what happened to life AFTER life started' do you not understand?

You figure continually throwing in the strawman of ge ...[text shortened]... a valid argument against evolution?

You really need to get outside more, smell the roses.
    I am not the one who says that evolution has to do with the origins of life. It is many of the evolutionists I've run into that believe it is. If you don't, then it doesn't apply to you.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 19:38
    Nobody knows the origin of life. We were not there and that is that.

Evolutionists don't feel a burden to explain how life started. We do know that amino acids can form in complex sequences and that is enough for us. If trillions of them form in different ways the odds become more likely that something very unusual will happen, like something that can self replicate under the right conditions.

We don't know, but neither do you creationists. We could take the easy way out like your camp does and say god did it, but explaining the existence of life with god (another existence) just seems so primitive we can't bring ourselves to insult the intelligence of our our own species.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 19:46
    Metal,

Do you feel that you have the authority to speak for all evolutionists?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree