Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    27 Jan '10 15:22
    Is time a constant or does it change?
    How do we know?
    Kelly
  2. 27 Jan '10 15:28
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Is time a constant or does it change?
    How do we know?
    Kelly
    Time is dependant of the gravitational field, and for the oberver in accelleration.

    How it's measured? By bringing an atomic clock to the site in question, and compare it with a stationary one.

    Yes, we know, theoretically, and practically.
  3. 27 Jan '10 22:14
    What do you mean by is it a constant?
  4. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    28 Jan '10 06:48
    Does time change, does it alter its speed, course, volumn, however
    you describe time, or does it remain the same and what we use to
    measure it get altered by forces we apply to them? If you agree it
    changes or disagree, how would you know your right after all? If what
    we used to measure time can be affected by some stess or force it
    would cause the same type of read out as if time itself changed?
    Kelly
  5. 28 Jan '10 08:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Does time change, does it alter its speed, course, volumn, however
    you describe time, or does it remain the same and what we use to
    measure it get altered by forces we apply to them? If you agree it
    changes or disagree, how would you know your right after all? If what
    we used to measure time can be affected by some stess or force it
    would cause the same type of read out as if time itself changed?
    Kelly
    Time is dependant of the gravitational field, and for the observer in accelleration.

    How it's measured? By bringing an atomic clock to the site in question, and compare it with a stationary one.

    Yes, we know, theoretically, and practically.
  6. 28 Jan '10 16:11
    Relative velocity changes the relative rate of time. A gravitational well changes this as well. This was first chosen theoretically, and then shown experimentally. If the experiments have been incorrect, then it would be one mighty coincidence that they concurred with theory so precisely.
  7. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    28 Jan '10 22:48
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Is time a constant or does it change?
    How do we know?
    Kelly
    I think there are two types of 'constant'
    there are physical/mathematical constants such as e, pi, G

    then there is the constancy of metrics
    eg acceleartion is constant with regard to constant force

    TIME is a metric.
    So what are you asking it is constant with?
  8. 29 Jan '10 00:39
    Time is relative. Time passes at the same rate for you, but time may change at a different rate for another person. I believe time slows down as you speed up.

    Do a google on speed of light and time and I'm sure you'll find several hits that will go into the paticulars.
  9. 29 Jan '10 06:40
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Does time change, does it alter its speed, course, volumn, however
    you describe time, or does it remain the same and what we use to
    measure it get altered by forces we apply to them? If you agree it
    changes or disagree, how would you know your right after all? If what
    we used to measure time can be affected by some stess or force it
    would cause the same type of read out as if time itself changed?
    Kelly
    What do you think the theory of relativity is about?

    Here's a hint. It answers your question.
  10. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    29 Jan '10 15:38
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I think there are two types of 'constant'
    there are physical/mathematical constants such as e, pi, G

    then there is the constancy of metrics
    eg acceleartion is constant with regard to constant force

    TIME is a metric.
    So what are you asking it is constant with?
    Is it a constant or no, does it change? Like I said earlier we know we
    can alter devices we use to measure time with and claims that time
    changes are due to putting some devices under stress of specific
    forces resulting in the change of readings between two devices that at
    one time held the same time. So why is it thought that the time and
    not the device itself was altered, why do people think time itself
    changes and not the items that go through specific stresses?
    Kelly
  11. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    29 Jan '10 15:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Time is relative. Time passes at the same rate for you, but time may change at a different rate for another person. I believe time slows down as you speed up.

    Do a google on speed of light and time and I'm sure you'll find several hits that will go into the paticulars.
    Our perceptions can be altered, we may view things differently for
    several different reasons, time may appear to slow down while you are
    in a crash, but that isn't because time has changed.
    Kelly
  12. 29 Jan '10 22:13
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Is it a constant or no, does it change? Like I said earlier we know we
    can alter devices we use to measure time with and claims that time
    changes are due to putting some devices under stress of specific
    forces resulting in the change of readings between two devices that at
    one time held the same time. So why is it thought that the time and
    not the devi ...[text shortened]... do people think time itself
    changes and not the items that go through specific stresses?
    Kelly
    Reasons why people think time is relative:

    1.) The speed of light is independent of reference frame.

    This has been confirmed many times over, both experimentally and theoretically. From this, we can show that the time that elapses for an observer at rest is not the same as the time that has elapsed on a space ship.
  13. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    29 Jan '10 23:04
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Is time a constant or does it change?
    How do we know?
    Kelly
    How old is planet Earth?
  14. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    30 Jan '10 02:38
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    How old is planet Earth?
    Do not know
    Kelly
  15. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    30 Jan '10 02:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by amolv06
    Reasons why people think time is relative:

    1.) The speed of light is independent of reference frame.

    This has been confirmed many times over, both experimentally and theoretically. From this, we can show that the time that elapses for an observer at rest is not the same as the time that has elapsed on a space ship.
    Time differs or the different conditions caused either the observer, or
    devices being used to measure time to become altered? Can we say
    that an exact point in time like "now" for example is the same
    throughout all of the universe? If we were to freeze all of the universe
    at a single point in time would it all stop at once, is there a now
    everywhere at the same moment?
    Kelly