Is time a constant?

Is time a constant?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Feb 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
It's impossible to predict the future more than statistically. We have a free will. These two statements hold hands.
To add to my previous comments:
Not only can we only predict the future via statistics, but the same applies to the past.
Much more interestingly, the same applies to the present. That is what quantum mechanics is all about.
If a photon of light could be in two places at once, then it is. It even affects the statistics of both the past and the future. It can even interfere with itself.

Free will is another mater altogether.

F

Moves
16 Feb 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
To add to my previous comments:
Not only can we only predict the future via statistics, but the same applies to the past.
Much more interestingly, the same applies to the present. That is what quantum mechanics is all about.
If a photon of light could be in two places at once, then it is. It even affects the statistics of both the past and the future. It can even interfere with itself.

Free will is another mater altogether.
Free will is indeed an elusive matter.
(Did I write that?)

K

Germany

Moves
16 Feb 10

Actually, in a closed system, you can deterministically calculate the future even if only in theory. The question remains: is the universe as a whole a closed system? And if it is, is it possible to write down a closed expression for the Hamiltonian (even if only in theory)?

F

Moves
16 Feb 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Actually, in a closed system, you can deterministically calculate the future even if only in theory. The question remains: is the universe as a whole a closed system? And if it is, is it possible to write down a closed expression for the Hamiltonian (even if only in theory)?
Can we? Even if it was possible to know all the positions of all particle in the system, we wouldn't know the velocities of them. So there will always be an uncertainty. In macrosystems, a collection of particle tends to cancel eachothers uncertainty, but in the level of particles we cannot. And thoughts originates in particles, i.e. electrical currents in our nervous system, so we cannot really predict our human actions.

Newtonally, yes, but quantumally, no.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Feb 10

Even without God rolling the quantum dice doesnt Chaos theory tell us that we will can never measure initial conditions accurately enough to predict the future?

a

Moves
16 Feb 10

I would be interested to know why a closed system would be deterministic. I could understand that the wavefunction itself may evolve in a deterministic fashion, but according to my understanding, we could not measure this without disturbing the system.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Feb 10

Originally posted by amolv06
I would be interested to know why a closed system would be deterministic. I could understand that the wavefunction itself may evolve in a deterministic fashion, but according to my understanding, we could not measure this without disturbing the system.
Sure, you disturb the system, but you can still get information. For instance, if you have a paddle wheel with a small generator that has a linear voltage out for linear change in paddle wheel RPM's, you can measure the velocity of flow of a stream, but if it is the same size as the stream, you would really disturb the reading. If it was the size of a bee, in the same stream, the reading would be more accurate because it would not be sucking much energy out of the flowing water.

A bit simplistic but that is my take on it.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Feb 10

Originally posted by sonhouse
Sure, you disturb the system, but you can still get information.
But the information you can get is not sufficiently accurate to predict the future. That is what Chaos theory is all about ie a small change in initial conditions may result in a large change later on meaning that if you don't know where every molecule of air is now, you cannot predict the weather in one week.

K

Germany

Moves
17 Feb 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Can we? Even if it was possible to know all the positions of all particle in the system, we wouldn't know the velocities of them. So there will always be an uncertainty. In macrosystems, a collection of particle tends to cancel eachothers uncertainty, but in the level of particles we cannot. And thoughts originates in particles, i.e. electrical currents i ...[text shortened]... system, so we cannot really predict our human actions.

Newtonally, yes, but quantumally, no.
The quantum description of a closed system contains neither positions nor velocities of particles. It just contains the wavefunction of the system.

K

Germany

Moves
17 Feb 10

Originally posted by amolv06
Well, if you "disturb" a system it's obviously not closed anymore. You would need a quantum description of the measuring apparatus/method as well, which would not be able to interact with anything else, and then you get a deterministic evolution of the system, at least in theory.

I'm not sure how nuclear/particle decay fits into the picture, though.

K

Germany

Moves
17 Feb 10

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Even without God rolling the quantum dice doesnt Chaos theory tell us that we will can never measure initial conditions accurately enough to predict the future?
Yes, but since chaos theory involves deterministic problems, that's just a practical reason why it's not possible to determine the future deterministically, not a theoretical one.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Feb 10

A more important question is whether or not the universe is deterministic at all. For example, if certain events are essentially random does that mean there is some unknown input from 'outside' the system?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
17 Feb 10

Yes, but since chaos theory involves deterministic problems, that's just a practical reason why it's not possible to determine the future deterministically, not a theoretical one.
That is a theoretical barrier though, isn't it? Chaos theory tells us that small uncertainties in the initial conditions of many simple systems lead to large uncertainties in future states, and quantum mechanics tells us that the exact position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously. Taken together, it would be impossible (both practically and theoretically) to accurately predict the future state of any chaotic system involving both the positions and momenta of particles.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Feb 10

Originally posted by PBE6
... and quantum mechanics tells us that the exact position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously.
Actually, my understanding of Quantum Mechanics so far, is that particles do not have an exact position and momentum. They have every possible position and momentum in a sort of probability cloud. If this is so, then the universe is not fully deterministic.

K

Germany

Moves
20 Feb 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
Actually, my understanding of Quantum Mechanics so far, is that particles do not have an exact position and momentum. They have every possible position and momentum in a sort of probability cloud. If this is so, then the universe is not fully deterministic.
You shouldn't look at a particle as having a position and momentum with a certain uncertainty. Rather, the position and momentum of particles are not well-defined as in a classical sense (I hope the distinction is clear).