1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    05 Jun '20 19:20
    are theses theories all dead now? I haven't heard anything new for ages..
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 01:54
    @ogb said
    I think they're still being actively researched, but there's a problem with evidence. As far as I know there's no real evidence for anything much outside the standard model.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 07:34
    @ogb said
    The Problem is that These theories are so complex that it is very difficult to unterstand the advances they re making. (I don't Claim to understand the theories deeply enough)
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 20:00
    @ponderable said
    The Problem is that These theories are so complex that it is very difficult to unterstand the advances they re making. (I don't Claim to understand the theories deeply enough)
    These things tend to take years before any significant advancements are made.
    I think all research scientists must be related to conveyancing solicitors!!
    Then , all of a sudden someone will come up with a new slant on the theory, publish a paper and it gets in the media again
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jun '20 08:32
    @venda
    You think that is a bad thing?
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    22 Jun '20 19:02
    @sonhouse said
    @venda
    You think that is a bad thing?
    No.
    The fact that these things are being thought about must be a good thing
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jun '20 22:35
    @venda
    I read somewhere String and M theory are like 23rd century science seeping into the 20th and 21st century. Maybe we have to wait till the 23rd century to fully understand those theories and whatever comes to replace them.
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    22 Jun '20 22:47
    @sonhouse said
    @venda
    I read somewhere String and M theory are like 23rd century science seeping into the 20th and 21st century. Maybe we have to wait till the 23rd century to fully understand those theories and whatever comes to replace them.
    sounds like time travelers from the future are helping us now..I agree with sonhouse about this..
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 01:29
    @ogb said
    sounds like time travelers from the future are helping us now..I agree with sonhouse about this..
    Exactly! Without time travelers from the future to help us understand this, the travelers from the future wouldn't know enough to help us with it now. We need help with it now, so we can get that same help from those who benefited later on and came back here to where we are to help us with... that thing we could use some help with.
  10. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 13:05
    @sonhouse said
    @venda
    The speed of advancement in other fields of science suggest we may not have to wait as long as that.
    I may not see the answers in my lifetime though(I'm 68)
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Jun '20 02:54
    @ogb said
    Theories are cheap.

Experiments are expensive.
  12. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    25 Jun '20 03:04
    @lemon-lime said
    Exactly! Without time travelers from the future to help us understand this, the travelers from the future wouldn't know enough to help us with it now. We need help with it now, so we can get that same help from those who benefited later on and came back here to where we are to help us with... that thing we could use some help with.
    U lost me. Can you re-explain that thought so that a simple rabbit could understand?
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Jun '20 04:45
    @bunnyknight said
    U lost me. Can you re-explain that thought so that a simple rabbit could understand?
    It's a paradox.
    A future understanding of string theory is accomplished by travelers from the future coming here to help us with understanding string theory. If we didn't have those future scientists helping us with this, there would be no future scientists who could travel back in time to help us with this.
  14. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Jun '20 05:43
    @lemon-lime said
    It's a paradox.
    A future understanding of string theory is accomplished by travelers from the future coming here to help us with understanding string theory. If we didn't have those future scientists helping us with this, there would be no future scientists who could travel back in time to help us with this.
    Can't tell if you're being serious or not...
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Jun '20 14:47
    @soothfast said
    Can't tell if you're being serious or not...
    A paradox is a scenario that doesn't work, and time travel is an idea that lends itself to paradoxes.

The grandfather paradox is a familiar one. If you go back in time and kill your grandfather before he has children, there will be no future you who could go back in time. You wouldn't exist because your father or mother didn't exist, but this is impossible because you were the one who caused your own non-existence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree