Most influential scientist

Most influential scientist

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
04 Dec 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
He didn't invent the light bulb?
Ah, found this:

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/edison.asp

One thing though: In defense of DC V AC, AC is certainly easier to transform from one voltage to another, etc., but using AC generates losses in both transforming up to the ultra high voltages needed to limit losses on the overheads, but the lines ...[text shortened]... re would be less AC hum in the air, the bane of audio and video and my own amateur radio rigs.
I wonder for many uses if we couldn't replace electric wires in the home with optical cables.

Lighting is the obvious first point of call.

Have a central light box, with optical fibres leading to all the lights in the house, which would
remove a lot of the electrical wiring running about the house and mean that you could do things like collect the waste heat from your central light box to heat water in your heat storage tank for added overall energy efficiency.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
04 Dec 11

Nikola Tesla.
He may not have been the most influential but he was one of the most innovative.

Where would we be without the AC current.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
04 Dec 11

We've gone from scientists to inventors.

Or was Edison really a scientist?

I think he only played with what was already there. Agreed?

-m.

Moves
04 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Correct! He didn't invent the light bulb.

Too be pedantic he made it practical, safe and durable.
Nope. Joseph Swan made the lightbulb practical, safe and durable. Thomas Alva Edison then stole his patent, and pirated his invention all over the USA. Swan, not having the legal nous Edison did, then was forced to accept the situation and "collaborate" with this thief.

And he had 1,000+ patents covering electrical devices we think trivial but someone had to invent them.

Well, quite. He owned the patents; someone else did the work. And was usually not paid nearly well enough for it, and certainly never got the slightest public recognition.

Let's be honest: Edison wasn't just not a great scientist, he wasn't even the great inventor he is usually said to be. What he was is one of the great business tycoons leeching off people with real talent. It's about time this is recognised.

Richard

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Dec 11

"Swan received a British patent for his device in 1878, about a year before Thomas Edison"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan

All the lightbulbs had swans on them when I was a kid but I had never heard of Joseph Swan!

Thanks.

s

Moves
05 Dec 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Nope. Joseph Swan made the lightbulb practical, safe and durable. Thomas Alva Edison then stole his patent, and pirated his invention all over the USA. Swan, not having the legal nous Edison did, then was forced to accept the situation and "collaborate" with this thief.

[b]And he had 1,000+ patents covering electrical devices we think trivial ...[text shortened]... coons leeching off people with real talent. It's about time this is recognised.

Richard
Thanks I didn't know this.