Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    02 Jul '10 11:52
    http://www.physorg.com/news197211098.html

    I imagine a new fight over this one. There may be a cure for ambiguous genitalia but now they seem to think they can extend that cure to homosexuality, prevent girls from being interested in boy things and vice versa.

    I can see the yelling starting up now.
  2. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    02 Jul '10 11:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.physorg.com/news197211098.html

    I imagine a new fight over this one. There may be a cure for ambiguous genitalia but now they seem to think they can extend that cure to homosexuality, prevent girls from being interested in boy things and vice versa.

    I can see the yelling starting up now.
    And the prize for the most bigoted, most ignorant, most prejudiced article goes to...

    Cure homosexuality! The idiocy never stops.

    the New York-based group of clinical researchers whose work is traced by Dreger and Feder suggest that prenatal dexamethasone can also be used in this population to prevent the "abnormality" of homosexuality, as well as the "abnormal" interest these girls tend to have in traditionally masculine careers and hobbies.


  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    02 Jul '10 16:52
    But the New York-based group of clinical researchers whose work is traced by Dreger and Feder suggest that prenatal dexamethasone can also be used in this population to prevent the "abnormality" of homosexuality, as well as the "abnormal" interest these girls tend to have in traditionally masculine careers

  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    02 Jul '10 16:53
    The Religious Right scares the heck out of me.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    02 Jul '10 17:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Religious Right scares the heck out of me.
    As well they should! I wouldn't be surprised at an Taliban connection
  6. 02 Jul '10 23:01
    I don't believe the Religious Right is responsible for the scientific study mentioned at the start of this thread. How things jump from "gay _______" to "Religious Right bashing" always amuses me.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    02 Jul '10 23:17
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I don't believe the Religious Right is responsible for the scientific study mentioned at the start of this thread. How things jump from "gay _______" to "Religious Right bashing" always amuses me.
    American University (AU) is a private United Methodist-affiliated research university in Washington, D.C

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_University
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    02 Jul '10 23:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    As well they should! I wouldn't be surprised at an Taliban connection
    Well, there's the Bush - bin Ladin connection...
  9. 02 Jul '10 23:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    American University (AU) is a private United Methodist-affiliated research university in Washington, D.C

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_University
    So is Wofford College---that doesn't mean that their science department is in league with the crazy-ass Robertsons, Becks, and other RR loons of the world.
  10. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    03 Jul '10 01:13
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    So is Wofford College---that doesn't mean that their science department is in league with the crazy-ass Robertsons, Becks, and other RR loons of the world.
    You can't trust such a university to be unbiased. Just like researchers who used to say smoking isn't that bad for you, I guess you can figure out who is covering their payroll.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    03 Jul '10 01:59
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    So is Wofford College---that doesn't mean that their science department is in league with the crazy-ass Robertsons, Becks, and other RR loons of the world.
    Who else is trying to "cure" women of wanting to work in traditionally male jobs?
  12. 03 Jul '10 10:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Who else is trying to "cure" women of wanting to work in traditionally male jobs?
    But was that a quote from the researchers, or was it what the scientists said?

    Also, lets suppose there is a treatment that will prevent tomboyism. What word would you use to describe it? Would "cure" be wrong simply because it is wrong to label tomboyism as undesirable?
    The same questions apply to homosexuality.

    I certainly believe that if such a treatment was effective that it would be quite popular, and I cant think of a good argument for preventing its use.
  13. 04 Jul '10 09:36
    clearly sounds like junk science promoted by someone with an agenda.

    also reminds me of experiments that the Nazis did...trying to prove this, that or the other thing about the various crazy ideas in their heads.

    I don't think there is a single mainstream scientist who holds this view.

    And if folks wanted to verify that, I think they could contact the psychology department of any major university and have a professor there give his/her opinion on the subject...

    leave the poor folks alone. They have enough problems without people trying to force them to be something they are not.

    How would you feel if someone said...here, take this pill and you will no longer be attracted to your wife.

    Of course, there is a pill like that (it is called marriage)....
  14. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    04 Jul '10 11:07
    Originally posted by r99pawn77
    clearly sounds like junk science promoted by someone with an agenda.

    also reminds me of experiments that the Nazis did...trying to prove this, that or the other thing about the various crazy ideas in their heads.

    I don't think there is a single mainstream scientist who holds this view.

    And if folks wanted to verify that, I think they could conta ...[text shortened]... be attracted to your wife.

    Of course, there is a pill like that (it is called marriage)....
    For one thing, if this worked and it eliminated homosexuality completely, what would be next? Black skin? Blue eyes? red hair? Short people?
  15. 04 Jul '10 12:25
    How many homosexuals would like to be hetero?
    How many of them want a treatment even if one worked?

    Wouldn't it be better to invent a treatment against homophobia?