1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 18:19
    @sonhouse said
    @ogb
    That is all well and good but it seems to me to be putting humans on a much higher stage than we deserve, where the universe deems us so important as to want to dup every twist and turn of humanity.

Even from an energy usage standpoint it doesn't make sense, new energy created every time a kid sneezes?

I think the universe is mysterious enough as it is to be p ...[text shortened]... atement can NEVER be falsified, it is impossible to find a falsification of GOD, just as an example.
    The energy in a sneeze comes from the sun.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 18:34
    @wildgrass
    As well as the energy in a fart🙂 We are stardust, we are golden🙂, Hey that might make a nice song....
  3. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    25 Nov '21 04:50
    @wildgrass said
    The energy in a sneeze comes from the sun.
    I used to think of energy as a primitive, unorganized, undisciplined form of matter. Another words, matter is just energy in solid form. Matter is also the ultimate, rarest and most precious state of energy, to be admired and cherished.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Nov '21 17:36
    @bunnyknight said
    I used to think of energy as a primitive, unorganized, undisciplined form of matter. Another words, matter is just energy in solid form. Matter is also the ultimate, rarest and most precious state of energy, to be admired and cherished.
    Energy is matter or matter is energy?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Nov '21 18:05
    @wildgrass
    That would be both. Just recently physicists managed to make actual matter particles from intersecting beams of photons, which is just a field, electromagnetic field which is massless, but you jam enough power in those photons and you can create new matter that was not here before.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '21 20:08
    @wildgrass said
    Repeat after me:

heat is work and work is heat.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Nov '21 03:45
    @Shallow-Blue
    Well, heat CAN cause work, like in the sun, the work from the heat of fusion expanding an enormous mass against the 'force' of gravity, AND Work can cause heat, specifically a difference in heat from one medium to another, hot side V cold side, like in a Peltier converter, coverts that temperature difference directly to electricity, not notably efficient but does the job for some stuff, like it works in reverse, pump in electricity, and lo and behold, one side gets hot, the other gets cold, so that is how you get those little beach coolers with the batteries inside keeps the inside cool at the expense of keeping the outside hot but that side is insulated from the inside so the inside doesn't know about the cheating🙂
  8. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Nov '21 03:56
    @wildgrass said
    Here's a simple analogy:
    If I disassembled your car into 20 million parts and pieces, threw it into a big box and gave it to you, would it be your car? Not really. Only if all those parts and pieces were properly put together would it become your car.

So the next time you pick up a simple rock consider the amazing conditions and actions it took to turn primal energy into that simple rock -- and be amazed. And the same goes for your cute cat that was actually assembled from primal energy which got turned into matter gigayears ago.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Nov '21 09:56
    @sonhouse said
    @Shallow-Blue
    Well, heat CAN cause work,
    You missed the reference. No surprise, as it is a very English one, probably not much known across the herring pond.
    YouTube
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '21 05:59
    @Shallow-Blue
    Unless you are in the frigging QUANTUM world then all bets are off as to where heat can go🙂 Didn't know of those dudes so missed the ref...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree