1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    14 Nov '21 21:18
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/10/211027094914.htm
    yes, it could be every galaxy has trillions of earth like planets...
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 00:42
    @ogb said
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/10/211027094914.htm
    yes, it could be every galaxy has trillions of earth like planets...
    Uh…I read the entire article…what did I miss that indicates to you there may be TRILLIONS of EARTH-LIKE planets in every galaxy?

I definitely think there are some more, somewhere. Just the sheer vastness of space, and the astronomically (pardon the pun) high volume of galaxies, stars, and solar systems. But trillions of earth like planets in every galaxy?

That could mean there is a bunch of good grass out there, man.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 02:45
    @Liljo
    That was just his opinion I think. But like the man said, if there are aliens, WHERE ARE THEY?
    So that could mean we just get one civilization per galaxy. If true, that would still leave hundreds of billions of civilizations around and the nearest one maybe in the magellanic clouds or Andromeda. Getting there would be a bitch though🙂
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    16 Nov '21 01:13
    @sonhouse
    You're not kidding,SH .

The universe is so big. I'm not sure how many galaxies are believed to exist, but well over 100 billion. And the Milky Way is just average in size, with over 400 billion stars!
    I read that if you could make a model scale of the Milky Way that was the same size as the North American continent, our entire Solar System would be the size of a basketball.

A BASKETBALL!?!?!?!

Yep. It might take us a minute or two to get to Andromeda...And once there, where would we begin to search?
  5. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    16 Nov '21 02:54
    @Liljo
    So we have over 400 billion stars already? I remember when the Milky Way only had 100 billion stars. Are they multiplying like rabbits?
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    16 Nov '21 03:28
    @bunnyknight
    I too thought that. However, the other night I was watching an episode of "How the Universe Works" and they said the MW had 400 billion stars. For decades I thought there were 100 billions stars in the MW, and 100 billion known galaxies.

Either way, they also said MOST stars have planets. Lets say there are "only" 100 billion stars in the Milky Way...If there are more planets than there are stars...that is truly mind-boggling!
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    16 Nov '21 03:301 edit
    A quick search on the internet says there are, in fact, 100 billion stars in our galaxy.

And there are an estimated 1 TRILLION stars in the Andromeda galaxy! ! !
  8. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    16 Nov '21 19:05
    @liljo said
    A quick search on the internet says there are, in fact, 100 billion stars in our galaxy.

And there are an estimated 1 TRILLION stars in the Andromeda galaxy! ! !
    So when I finish construction of my hyper-jump spacecraft and be able to visit every star system to study it for a day, it would take me 100 billion days to explore our galaxy.
    My hunch tells me that I may not live that long.
  9. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    16 Nov '21 19:19
    @bunnyknight said
    So when I finish construction of my hyper-jump spacecraft and be able to visit every star system to study it for a day, it would take me 100 billion days to explore our galaxy.
    My hunch tells me that I may not live that long.
    correct and nearly every star has planets...half of which sustain life. That's why there are aliens walking among us today !!
  10. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    16 Nov '21 21:58
    @ogb said
    correct and nearly every star has planets...half of which sustain life. That's why there are aliens walking among us today !!
    you don't seemed to well informed
    where do you get your info from?
  11. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    17 Nov '21 06:22
    @ogb said
    My estimate is a bit more conservative:
    I figure about 1 in 50,000 planets to be habitable, which would give us only about 2 to 3 million habitable worlds in our galaxy. Out of those about 50% have microbial life; 2% have plant life; 0.1% have cute animals and 0.001% have intelligent life. However, if an advanced race colonized a whole lot of planets, it would make the above estimate worthless.
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    17 Nov '21 10:54
    @bunnyknight
    All the speculation about star/planet numbers is just that and largely irrelevant.
    We can't get there,they,if there is a "they" they can't get here.
    All the supposed alien encounters involve beings much like us to which the only logical explanation is time travel from a future time on earth.
    The new James Webb telescope launch on Dec 18th is interesting but I don't think it will find any hard evidence of alien life
  13. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    17 Nov '21 20:101 edit
    @venda

So space travel is impossible but time travel isn't?

You're backwards...go sit down 🙄

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.astronomytrek.com/5-bizarre-paradoxes-of-time-travel-explained/amp/
  14. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    18 Nov '21 01:11
    @bunnyknight said
    My estimate is a bit more conservative:
    I figure about 1 in 50,000 planets to be habitable, which would give us only about 2 to 3 million habitable worlds in our galaxy. Out of those about 50% have microbial life; 2% have plant life; 0.1% have cute animals and 0.001% have intelligent life. However, if an advanced race colonized a whole lot of planets, it would make the above estimate worthless.
    Ya know, BK, I could twist one up, rock back, take a few tokes, and prolly listen to you all night.

Good stuff. Enjoyed.

Yeah, I know all this is conjecture, but that's one of the most beautiful things about the whole human experience--the fact that we can imagine these things.

I definitely believe the universe is just simply too immense for this planet to be the only one that is inhabited. I have to believe that somewhere out there is a species or civilization more advanced than ours, while somewhere out there there is a civilization that just invented the wheel.

I think we are not alone. I just believe that, due to the spacing of objects in space, we will never meet one another.
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '21 02:39
    @liljo said
    Ya know, BK, I could twist one up, rock back, take a few tokes, and prolly listen to you all night.

Good stuff. Enjoyed.

Yeah, I know all this is conjecture, but that's one of the most beautiful things about the whole human experience--the fact that we can imagine these things.

I definitely believe the universe is just simply too immense for this planet to be the onl ...[text shortened]... alone. I just believe that, due to the spacing of objects in space, we will never meet one another.
    Not just the spacing but the timing. I can't do all the math but our "enlightenment" of the past several thousand years is a flash in the pan of the 14 billion year old universe. The fossil record shows that species come and go and likely the existence of an extraterrestrial intelligence is both too far away AND too distanced in time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree