Problems with RJ Hinds:

Problems with RJ Hinds:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
11 May 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
You go somewhere else.
By and large that is what I have done. And will again. Now.

I can't prevent other people feeding you. Just thought I'd pop in a mention. Bye.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 May 14

Originally posted by DeepThought
According to the Wikipedia page "impact events" a 1km diameter wide object is expected to hit the earth every 500,000 years. This means over 100 such impacts since the one implicated in the extinction of the dinosaurs. There have been no such impacts in the last 6,000 years. So if you insist on denying a history prior to that there haven't been any such impacts, but you can't convincingly explain the impact craters either.
No one really knows how all the crators were formed. Some may be impact crators from asteroids while others are known to be from underground nuclear tests and from a volcano like this one in Hawaii.

Airplane Flying inside Volcano Crater Lava Lake Hawaii

The Mount St. Helens earthquake and eruption not only produced a hugh crator but also a Little Grand Canyon from water and mud flows.

Mt. St. Helens Eruption May 18, 1980

The Young Earth Creationists theorize that most of the crators on earth probably occurred at the time of the big flood that is spoken of by legends in most all, if not all, cultures in the world. A catastrophe of earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, storms, and even some asteroids or meteors falling to earth during the year long flood period probably produced the majority of the geological features on the earth in a relatively short period of time.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
12 May 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
No one really knows how all the crators were formed. Some may be impact crators from asteroids while others are known to be from underground nuclear tests and from a volcano like this one in Hawaii.

Airplane Flying inside Volcano Crater Lava Lake Hawaii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpr7QXXw6OE

The Mount St. Helens earthquake and eruption not onl ...[text shortened]... duced the majority of the geological features on the earth in a relatively short period of time.
Your flood requires far too much water. Impact craters are distinguishable from volcanic craters in a number of ways.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 May 14

Your flood requires far too much water. Impact craters are distinguishable from volcanic craters in a number of ways.
I don't know enough to distinguish them, but I don't have any reason to think they are older than a few thousand years old.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 May 14

I wonder which would have more energy, a super volcano explosion or a giant asteroid impact?

F

Moves
12 May 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
I wonder which would have more energy, a super volcano explosion or a giant asteroid impact?
Both have the power to wipe out the human civilization and bring us back to stone age, if we survive. Perhaps also the majority of the fauna goes with us. But the life will always survive. The life is too strong to be wiped out of either a super vulcano or a giant asteroid impact. That's what I humbly think.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 May 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Both have the power to wipe out the human civilization and bring us back to stone age, if we survive. Perhaps also the majority of the fauna goes with us. But the life will always survive. The life is too strong to be wiped out of either a super vulcano or a giant asteroid impact. That's what I humbly think.
Things out there in the universe could knock us all back to the age of bacterial mats a couple billion years ago though. For instance, a supernova going off within maybe 1000 light years from Earth would bath us in such a drastic amount of gamma radiation nothing less than a half mile deep would survive, plants, humans, animals, reptiles, Nothing.

Those supernovae put out as much energy in a few days or weeks than the entire output of the galaxy we live in which is why they are so dangerous to be near, or even a thousand light years apart from it when it blows.

An asteroid big enough could wipe out most life on Earth hands down. They think the moon came about because a small planet the size of Mars hit Earth early on, I think that was before life ever started here, not sure about that but it would have driven a mass extinction like there never has been in the past billion years.

Obviously those things have an extremely low probability of happening, but they think one of the mass extinctions was the result of a nearby nova so it could happen again.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
13 May 14

Things out there in the universe could knock us all back to the age of bacterial mats a couple billion years ago though. For instance, a supernova going off within maybe 1000 light years from Earth would bath us in such a drastic amount of gamma radiation nothing less than a half mile deep would survive, plants, humans, animals, reptiles, Nothing.

Those ...[text shortened]... they think one of the mass extinctions was the result of a nearby nova so it could happen again.
There are no supernova candidates within the safe limits. which are about 300 light years for a type Ia supernova and of the order of 80 for a type Ib/II (from memory). There are no really big objects likely to hit the earth for the next million odd years. Really, our own actions, such as carbon emissions or the Ukrainian conflict escalating, are far more likely to cause our downfall.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 May 14

Those ...[text shortened]... they think one of the mass extinctions was the result of a nearby nova so it could happen again.
Why should you worry about it? You aren't foolish enough to think you can change any of it are you?

F

Moves
13 May 14

There are many reasons that the life will be severely threatened. Each with a yearly low probability. But if you add them up, and further multiply with time, then the probability will rise unpleasantly.

I had a fear that the Ebola virus would spread from it original location to the whole world. It seems to be in control now, fortunately. Yet, the pandemics is a real threat.

Another threat is that some lunatic with the finger on the nuclear red button will trigger a worldwide war. Ban the nuclear weapons globally!

But a foreseeable threat is the climate change that will jeopardize the food production. A world wide famine for the poor, and later on for the rich countries.

Pick an alternative. The asteroids aren't so bad, there are more dangerous stuff out there.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
13 May 14

Thank God for atheism

or

I used to be an agnostic, but now I'm not so sure

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 May 14

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
Thank God for atheism

or

I used to be an agnostic, but now I'm not so sure
Let's all pray for the success of atheism!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 May 14

There are no supernova candidates within the safe limits. which are about 300 light years for a type Ia supernova and of the order of 80 for a type Ib/II (from memory). There are no really big objects likely to hit the earth for the next million odd years. Really, our own actions, such as carbon emissions or the Ukrainian conflict escalating, are far more likely to cause our downfall.
That and the basic problem for humans is the fact that everything goes extinct eventually. Humans have only been around in the big picture for a tiny fraction of the time of other animals like Coelacanths which have shown to still be around after many million of years as a species.

It seems on the bigger picture species like Coelacanths cause a lot less harm to the planet than humans who have exploded in population in a split second of geologic time.

And we are making a grand mess out of it which seems to me is coming back RIGHT NOW to bite us in the ass, look at the storms around the world lately, like the typhoon that hit the Philippines a couple months ago and the terrible winter the US just endured.

Talk about signs of the times! The sky is in fact, falling....

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 May 14

That and the basic problem for humans is the fact that everything goes extinct eventually. Humans have only been around in the big picture for a tiny fraction of the time of other animals like Coelacanths which have shown to still be around after many million of years as a species.

It seems on the bigger picture species like Coelacanths cause a lot less ...[text shortened]... le winter the US just endured.

Talk about signs of the times! The sky is in fact, falling....
CORRECTION:

... only about 6,000 years as a species.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 May 14

One star I worry about a bit is Sirius, about 20 light years away and one huge mutha. If it ever blew, we would be toast.