Simple math, ancient Egypt:

Simple math, ancient Egypt:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
26 Oct 17

Originally posted by @moonbus
Of course people have seen actual livers, and we extrapolate that you too have one, because that is how nature works. That is exactly why we don't have to see yours to know you have one. We know many things we do not see. We know this because we know how nature works, and laws of nature do not change.

All life forms, both simple and complex, did not ap ...[text shortened]... of a frog in well. You're missing 90%.

Let us know when you have God-detector up and running.
Has anyone seen abiogenesis?

A simple yes or no will do.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @eladar
Believing it was an appropriate question at all makes you a bigot.

You have no respect for Christians and it comes across in the vile poison you spit.
Can you be more specific? I don't know where you are coming from in all this. Are you unable to answer my question about space/time? I don't remember saying anything against Christians on this thread.

Über-Nerd

Moves
26 Oct 17

Simple answers work only for simpletons. I will try to make this as simple as the subject allows.

No one has seen abiogenesis while it is happening. Does that prove it did not happen? No.

Have you seen your liver? No. Does that prove you don't have one? No.

Comparing the hypotheses available, abiogenesis vs. creation ex nihilo, there is solid evidence based on laws of chemistry how abiogenesis could have happened and a clear path forward how to test it in a lab.

There is no evidence that creation ex nihilo happened, no conceivable scenario to test it in a lab, and no explanation in terms of natural laws which would render it even probable. Given that Christian dogma got it spectacularly wrong about Galileo and Copernicus, there is every reason not to cow down to dogma on this issue either.

It took a hundred years after Einstein to detect gravitational waves. Persistence paid off.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
26 Oct 17

Originally posted by @soothfast
Some human societies did use base-8:

https://en.wikipedia...
And we are still fond of base 12 for some reason. Hours and months. Duodecimal.

Dozen. What a strange number to have its own special name that won't die. The next time you hear yourself say "dozens of times" try saying "tens of times" instead. It doesn't seem to work.

Über-Nerd

Moves
26 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @apathist

Dozen. What a strange number to have its own special name that won't die. The next time you hear yourself say "dozens of times" try saying "tens of times" instead. It doesn't seem to work.
60s for time reckoning, and 360 degrees in a circle, are holdovers from the Babylonians, if memory serves me.

12 months in a year is based on the lunar calendar.

Planet Rain

Moves
26 Oct 17

Have you seen your god?

Planet Rain

Moves
26 Oct 17

60s for time reckoning, and 360 degrees in a circle, are holdovers from the Babylonians, if memory serves me.

12 months in a year is based on the lunar calendar.
I believe the Babylonians used a sexagesimal system in everyday life precisely because of the lunar cycle: 6 x 60 = 360.

Planet Rain

Moves
26 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @apathist

And then there's "1 gross = a dozen dozens."

Base-12 is reputedly a little easier to do arithmetic in, since 12 is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, whereas 10 is divisible only by 1, 5, 10. Duodecimals are more often terminating compared to decimals, since there's a "twelfths place." With base-12 representations in brackets, letting T be ten and E eleven, we have

1/2 = 6/12 = [0.6]
1/3 = 4/12 = [0.4]
11/12 = 0.916666... = [0.E]
10.29861111... = [T.37]

On the other hand,

1/5 = 0.2 = [0.24972497...]

h

Moves
26 Oct 17
3 edits

Have you seen your god?
If he answers yes then please advise him to see a very good psychiatrist.

E

Moves
26 Oct 17

Have you seen your god?
I agree, belief in abiogenesis is on par with believing in God.

Thanks for helping me demonstrate my point.

E

Moves
26 Oct 17

Originally posted by @humy
If he answers yes then please advise him to see a very good psychiatrist.
If you amswer yes to seeing abiogenesis please see a very good psychiatrist.

Isn't it great that we both have faith?

Über-Nerd

Moves
27 Oct 17
3 edits

If you amswer yes to seeing abiogenesis please see a very good psychiatrist.

Isn't it great that we both have faith?
Your faith is based on an irrational, incoherent myth left over from the Bronze Age when people believed in witches, fairies and sprites. My belief is based on reason, evidence, and laws of nature. They are not equivalent. I have faith that curiosity and persistence will pay off.

The day we see abiogenesis confirmed will be just like the days when we saw Galileo vindicated, Copernicus vindicated, Einstein vindicated, and Hawking's prediction of black holes vindicated.

The day we see abiogenesis, we'll go see the Nobel prize committee.

EDIT: Don't you realize that you can keep your faith and accept the evidence of science, too? You can accept that abiogenesis really happened, or probably happened, and still believe that God watches over every little amoeba that falls. Just as the Vatican finally grudgingly accepted that evolution really happened, and now says that God's hand guided it all along.

There is no percentage in denying evidence. It does not pay off and makes you look silly.

E

Moves
27 Oct 17

Your faith is based on an irrational, incoherent myth left over from the Bronze Age when people believed in witches, fairies and sprites. My belief is based on reason, evidence, and laws of nature. They are not equivalent. I have faith that curiosity and persistence will pay off.

The day we see abiogenesis confirmed will be just like the days when we saw ...[text shortened]... ng.

There is no percentage in denying evidence. It does not pay off and makes you look silly.
Your need for others to conform to your belief system is disturbing.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Oct 17

Your need for others to conform to your belief system is disturbing.
You think science is a single person thing? It is most decidedly not. It is ALWAYS a group effort. Relativity did not come about on its own, it followed the work of other geniuses. There are not enough geniuses around to singlehandedly change the world every time.

Über-Nerd

Moves
27 Oct 17

We stand on the shoulders of giants.