Simple math, ancient Egypt:

Simple math, ancient Egypt:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
30 Oct 17

Originally posted by @sonhouse
So do your belief's ever change?
Does that really matter? My beliefs are my business, not sure why you need to be nosey.

Über-Nerd

Moves
30 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @eladar
Beliefs are beliefs, everyone should be allowed to believe as they wish. Schools should not be used to convince kids certain beliefs right and others are wrong.
"Beliefs are beliefs" is a tautology and therefore meaningless.

"everyone should be allowed to believe as they [sic] wish" is poppycock. Wish to believe that 2+2=9! Wish to believe that the sun goes round the Earth! Wish to believe that the Aryan race is the master race!

"Schools should not be used to convince kids certain beliefs [are] right and others are wrong." Balderdash. Beliefs are not all equivalent. Some beliefs are quite definitely wrong, some are quite definitely harmful, to those who hold them and/or those who have to live with them, and it is right to teach young people to recognise the difference between beliefs which are wrong or harmful and those which aren't. It is right to teach people to think logically and critically about what they and others believe, and it is proper to do so by way of critically examining and debunking beliefs which are wrong or harmful. It is right and proper to teach people to recognise fake news, propaganda, unfounded allegations, false assertions, tripe, and bad religion, for what they are.

E

Moves
30 Oct 17

Originally posted by @moonbus
"Beliefs are beliefs" is a tautology and therefore meaningless.

"everyone should be allowed to believe as they [sic] wish" is poppycock. Wish to believe that 2+2=9! Wish to believe that the sun goes round the Earth! Wish to believe that the Aryan race is the master race!

"Schools should not be used to convince kids certain beliefs ...[text shortened]... propaganda, unfounded allegations, false assertions, tripe, and bad religion, for what they are.
tau·tol·o·gy
tôˈtäləjē/Submit
noun
the saying of the same thing twice in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style (e.g., they arrived one after the other in succession ).

I did not say the same thing two different ways. I just pointed out the obvious truth, which gets overlooked by true believers like yourself.

Read a book!

Moves
31 Oct 17

I believe Eladar's skull is thick enough to block any rational thought.

E

Moves
31 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @handyandy
I believe Eladar's skull is thick enough to block any rational thought.
You mean like if 1/x = 2.5 then x=.4?

Damn, I'm funny.

Read a book!

Moves
31 Oct 17

You mean like if 1/x = 2.5 then x=.4?

Damn, I'm funny.
Funny enough to explain Graham's Number?

E

Moves
31 Oct 17

Originally posted by @handyandy
Funny enough to explain Graham's Number?
I didn't think you'd get it.

Read a book!

Moves
31 Oct 17

I didn't think you'd get it.
Try me.

Über-Nerd

Moves
31 Oct 17

tau·tol·o·gy
tôˈtäləjē/Submit
noun
the saying of the same thing twice in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style (e.g., they arrived one after the other in succession ).

I did not say the same thing two different ways. I just pointed out the obvious truth, which gets overlooked by true believers like yourself.
"a=a" is also a tautology and is equivalent to your claim that "beliefs are beliefs."

Über-Nerd

Moves
31 Oct 17

@Eladar

A survey of the Recommended Posts column reveals two names recurring with disproportionate frequency: yours and Whodey's. Never what you or Whodey says, but always the reply of someone else to you or Whodey, is what merits attention. You might want to study Whodey's posts and make a note of what you have in common.

E

Moves
31 Oct 17

"a=a" is also a tautology and is equivalent to your claim that "beliefs are beliefs."
I gave the definition from the dictionary.

I guess according to you a belief is not a belief.

E

Moves
31 Oct 17

@Eladar

A survey of the Recommended Posts column reveals two names recurring with disproportionate frequency: yours and Whodey's. Never what you or Whodey says, but always the reply of someone else to you or Whodey, is what merits attention. You might want to study Whodey's posts and make a note of what you have in common.
Two things we have in common....

We post a lot.

We are not libtards.

Über-Nerd

Moves
31 Oct 17
3 edits

I gave the definition from the dictionary.

I guess according to you a belief is not a belief.
As you yourself well know, mathematicians have very precise definitions for such words as "product" and "dividend" and "exponential". I studied logic at more than one prestigious university. I use the word "tautology" as a person who knows what he is talking about, not as a colloquialism. Of course beliefs are beliefs; your statement that "beliefs are beliefs" is a vacuous tautology, logically equivalent to "a=a": without meaningful content.

Eladar: You mean like if 1/x = 2.5 then x=.4?
Damn, I'm funny.

Andy: Funny enough to explain Graham's Number?

Eladar: I didn't think you'd get it.

Andy: Try me.

moonbus: My senior tutor at grad school gave me the following sound piece of advice: "Don't try to impress people with how smart you are. Everyone here is smart. If you really want to make an impression, be nice." You would be well-advised to take note of that.

h

Moves
31 Oct 17
8 edits

We post a lot.

We are not libtards.
4 more things you two have in common....

Like the Nazis, you are both delusional religious extremists intolerant of free thinking.

you both constantly lie about what we freethinkers think and believe.

you both deny any proven scientific fact that disproves any of your religious beliefs rather than like most Christians sensibly adapt you beliefs (religious or otherwise) to the facts.

you both blame atheists for the kind of atrocities theists like yourself do.

Über-Nerd

Moves
31 Oct 17

We post a lot...
True, but I wasn't referring to the quantity.