square root of 2

square root of 2

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Jun 18

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Thanks for the help. One of these days I might even figure out calculus🙂

Moves
29 Jun 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
Thanks for the help. One of these days I might even figure out calculus🙂
You might even figure out 16 year old basic algebra

D

Moves
29 Jun 18

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Jun 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
Is that called a commutative rule? Using that rule, the next one X/(X-1)=1/(x-1) comes out the same! X=i.
The commutative rule is that xy = yx. This isn't true for objects like matrices, but is for real and complex numbers.

I'm not sure that there is a name for the identity Duchess wrote. It's an immediate consequence of equality:

(a = b) <=> (ac = bc)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 Jun 18

Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
You might even figure out 16 year old basic algebra
Do you feel superior enough now? Pardon me for asking a question. I bow down to your abject superiority. Do you feel superior enough to challenge me to a game?

Moves
30 Jun 18

Just stating a fact.

You are in a forum that is discussing Maths to a reasonable degree of competence.

You seem to be trying to join in, yet fail to understand that if a/b = c/d, then ad = bc

As I said, over here that wouldn't even be classed as difficult 16 yr old algebra. Not sure what the standards where you live are like.

Challenge me to a game? You may have noticed, I am on a break, thanks.

And no one can take that away from me.

D

Moves
30 Jun 18

c

Moves
30 Jun 18

Duchess, if you ever decide to come out of retirement, I would be happy to whoop your ass at a game of chess. 🙂

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 Jun 18

Originally posted by @chaney3
Duchess, if you ever decide to come out of retirement, I would be happy to whoop your ass at a game of chess. 🙂
That would be a short game......You would go from being the hopeful whooper to the sad whoppee....

D

Moves
30 Jun 18

Moves
30 Jun 18

Let's hope it doesn't involve much basic algebra!

I must say, D, that you seem to have a much more 'forgiving' manner of addressing this sonhouse character.

I have been labelled *woefully ignorant* or the like for a much higher mathematical knowledge (even if I do say so myself).

Do you have your favourites? Am I not one of them? (Smiley punctuation mark face)

D

Moves
30 Jun 18
1 edit

D

Moves
30 Jun 18

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 Jun 18

I had quite a bit of math training but that one was new to me, I mostly studied the math of ion implanters, magnetic fields and such and the math of electronics, ohms law and such.
I asked because I wanted to know what I was doing wrong trying to solve that bit.I am still interested in learning at 77 yo. BTW, my favorite subject in HS was geometry.

c

Moves
30 Jun 18

Ratings would not matter.

I would take my time and study the board showing great discipline, with a focused purpose in mind:

Take down the Duchess!!

When I win, Duchess would be forced to concede that she now appreciates a white, American man. 🙂

If only......