1. RSA
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 21:54
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Where you come from is fairly apparent to anyone who has paid attention (you have basically said it yourself multiple times) yet people continue to fanatically speculate. If someone is incapable of piecing it together by now then they really don't deserve to know.

I had a good laugh at your "fatuous trolls" comment, because it really is so apparent yet some people still have no idea. They can stay ignorant.
  2. RSA
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 22:02
    I did that competition every year I was at high school and never amounted to much.

There are actually quite a lot of Chinese people and Korean people living here in Cape Town (but almost no Japanese; my struggle to find people to speak with is proof). At my school, there were many boarders from Korea, many of whom said that their parents sent them to learn English.
  3. RSA
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 22:13
    So many familiar names on that list; it's almost like you have touched a part of my life. The internet really does make the world a smaller place.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 13:50
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    ??

I am not a great physics scholar, but I know Ohms Law says I = V/R

I would suggest that lends itself very much to moving letters around, with certain letters as the denominator (bottom line)

You need to stick to working out the missing angle in a triangle, knowing the other 2. Bit of complex geometry.
    In ohms law, V is usually written as E , I=E/R and I just gave that as an example, just saying most of my training was formula based like the amount of magnetic field required to bend an ion beam at 90 degrees which is one of the basic ion beam bending angles for ion implanters. The effect there is to have an exact magnetic field presented to the ion beam that allows only a certain isotope, like B11 Vs B10 to fly to the the acceleration stages and beam focusing stages and beam steering and thence to the silicon or whatever wafer where the beam penetrates the surface and builds up an inner layer of dopant. B11 (Boron) is one such dopant and because of the nature of those isotopes, B11 happens to be present in nature about 3 times the level of B10 so we chose that isotope simply because there are more ions accelerated per unit time than B10 so the beam energy is higher and therefore we can get a certain percentage level of dopant faster.
    That kind of thing and much more was what my training involved, many many courses conducted with my mentor Ray Callahan, a brilliant scientist at Extrion up at the end of Hwy 128 north of Boston.

In other words, physics of ion beams, a major course of study for me and a lot of other totally different kinds of physics I won't bore you with here.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 21:36
    This side of the pond, voltage is usually written as 'V'. I vaguely remember your lettering from physics classes many moons ago.

The rest of your post is gobbledygook to me. Difference is, I don't pitch in trying to engage you and others in conversation as if I have the slightest idea what it is all about.

And no one can take that away from me
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '18 10:57
    This side of the pond, voltage is usually written as 'V'. I vaguely remember your lettering from physics classes many moons ago.

The rest of your post is gobbledygook to me. Difference is, I don't pitch in trying to engage you and others in conversation as if I have the slightest idea what it is all about.

I was trying to give you a small bit of the physics training I have had over the years I was in the ion implanter business.

God forbid you would actually google 'ion implanter' and learn a bit about what goes on in the manufacture of computer digital circuitry and analog electronics chips, and the role ion implanters have in that world.

If we use silicon wafers to make chips both digital and analog, silicon in its purest form is an insulator and we implant beneath the surface of those wafers ions we call dopants which turns the silicon into a semiconductor, and we get fairly close to the conductivity of copper wire that way but in tightly controlled depths, the ions we used for these dopant purposes are arsenic, boron and phosphorous. Ion implanters accelerate these ions to very high speeds which impact the wafers and jumble up the surface layers and when we heat said wafers up to around 1000 degrees C for a few minutes, a step called annealing, the dopant and silicon rebuilds the crystal structure of pure silicon (seems almost like magic to me) but now every now and again, a dopant ion is included in that crystal and now becomes a kind of way station for electrons, which in response to electric fields applied causes very controlled current flows, electrons flowing through the silicon wafer in ways impossible before the introduction of the dopant ions, like I said, the big three are arsenic, boron and phosphorous, one gives movement of electrons in one direction and another allows electron flow in the opposite direction.

It's not THAT difficult to understand.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    05 Jul '18 13:49

They are not quite the same thing. E stands for Electro-motive Force, also abbreviated as EMF, which is the amount of work a battery (or other generating device) does on the current it is driving. EMF is measured in volts. Voltage is usually used to mean potential difference, which is potential drop across a component in a circuit, and is also measured in volts. Since a battery has a small internal resistance r the potential difference V across the terminals is related to the EMF by:

V = E - Ir

Where I is the current flowing in the circuit.

Drawing an analogy with economics, EMF is the production measure and potential difference is the consumption measure.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '18 19:401 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jul '18 19:50
    You a re a complete fraud...just do yourself a favor and quietly leave the forums.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '18 20:07

11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:09
    Of course not.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 00:301 edit
    Originally posted by @joe-shmo
    You a re a complete fraud...just do yourself a favor and quietly leave the forums.
    Complete fraud? You might find out different if you played her a game of chess. I am speaking as one who is not her friend and never will be but she is way above average in a lot of ways. Notice I didn't say she gives one that warm fuzzy feeling and I also know you are also way above average but her acerbic ways in no way makes her a fraud.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 00:595 edits

14. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 01:33
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Complete fraud? You might find out different if you played her a game of chess. I am speaking as one who is not her friend and never will be but she is way above average in a lot of ways. Notice I didn't say she gives one that warm fuzzy feeling and I also know you are also way above average but her acerbic ways in no way makes her a fraud.
    Unless you have played her OTB, how do you know she isn't an "engine cheat" also? Hell, she hasn't moved a single pawn for over 6 years.

She's just been yapping away. Stabbing nice guys like you in the back.

Why anyone tries to be nice to such a despicable troll is beyond me. She never appreciates it.
    But, to each his own, I suppose.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 01:501 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree