1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 13:401 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    On another note, have you heard of or done work in this field:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-octonion-math-that-could-underpin-physics-20180720/

Octions, heard of it, worked on it?

About cheaters, why do you think they stopped enforcing it?
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 14:06
    Originally posted by @sonhouse

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-octonion-math-that-could-underpin-physics-20180720/

An oction?

Isn't that what they'll be having at Mara Lago and at Trump Tower a few years from now?

A voluntary bidding sale of all of Donald's valuables?
    (Option + Auction = ???)

Oction

😛
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 15:321 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    An oction?

Isn't that what they'll be having at Mara Lago and at Trump Tower a few years from now?

A voluntary bidding sale of all of Donald's valuables?
    (Option + Auction = ???)

Oction

😛
    No, ocTONian. Like the 8 notes on the white keys of a piano🙂
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 19:591 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 20:02

I've played around with quaternions, they are a useful way of describing rotations and the unit quaternions are isomorphic with SU(2) (the symmetry that is broken to give the weak force). Octonions are the next largest objects one can construct by choosing pairs of the previous objects, so complex numbers are pairs of normal reals, quaternions are pairs of complex numbers, octonions are pairs of quaternions, see Cayley-Dickson construction in Wikipedia for how this works (link below). These objects aren't even associative, but it's not surprising that someone should try to apply them to physics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayley-Dickson_construction
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 00:21
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    I've played around with quaternions, they are a useful way of describing rotations and the unit quaternions are isomorphic with SU(2) (the symmetry that is broken to give the weak force). Octonions are the next largest objects one can construct by choosing pairs of the previous objects, so complex numbers are pairs of normal reals, quaternions are pair ...[text shortened]... hould try to apply them to physics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayley-Dickson_construction
    I wonder if there would be anything in another doubling? 16 somethings🙂 Don't even know what you would call it and would it even buy anything.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 00:23
    Yeah, you can tell by their performance graph, zero day one, 2400 day two and stays horizontal, as opposed to mine for instance, looking more like the Alps....
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 01:00

9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 04:46
    I wonder if there would be anything in another doubling? 16 somethings🙂 Don't even know what you would call it and would it even buy anything.
    They're called sedenions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedenion
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 12:41
    I remember that dude.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 12:48
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    They're called sedenions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedenion
    Wow, I saw that bizarre multiplication table! Sounds a bit like string theory, nice work but not much in the real world.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jul '18 09:26
    But just the act of mentioning that kind of thing makes us both out to be braggarts when I was just mentioning stuff I did as a kid. Like what I did was so special as to be the subject of the trolls who think anyone mentioning anything out of the ordinary is to be narcissistic or some such. Such is life for the trolls.
    This part of your post I totally buy into. Any "tooting your own horn", even a little, drives those without the talent to do the same absolutely nuts and they are always driven to "prove" you a liar. It's sad.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '18 15:301 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    This part of your post I totally buy into. Any "tooting your own horn", even a little, drives those without the talent to do the same absolutely nuts and they are always driven to "prove" you a liar. It's sad.
    The sad part is what I did when I was ten wasn't that big a deal. I just found a room in my step dad's house that had literally hundreds of old 78 RPM records but no way to play them.
    So one day I was scrounging around that room, nobody else was interested in it, I suspect it was his dad, because his mom was still living in the house and the only thing she was interested in was watching wrestling on TV.

So one day I found a 78 RPM record player, motorized but no case or anything. I plugged it in and found the platter turned and such but no way to hear the sound.

So I had traded a model airplane motor for an earphone and a diode, I had just started getting interested in electronics and a couple years earlier at hospital, built a little radio that worked when I turned it on. This is not exactly Nobel prize stuff🙂

So I looked at the record player and saw a cartridge with wires coming out of it.
    I thought, hmm, what if I hooked up the wires of the cartridge to the wires of the earphones and I did, put the record player on a cardboard box and lo and behold, I could actually hear the records through the earphones. I then went through about half of the collection which really spiked my interest in music. I think I told you I compose tunes on guitar and mandolin, I don't think you ever listened to them but it is kind of the other end of my experience with the record player when I was ten.

So for all that, I was castigated, stupid liar, no kid could have ever figured out something as esoteric as that.....
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jul '18 18:06

15. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    24 Jul '18 19:38
    You mean like being really good at arithmetic, but having absolutely zero interpersonal skills?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree