1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 11:36
    This thread is for 'questionable' consumer chemicals - I'd really like you to name any you are unsure about / exposed too. So they can be discussed.

(it might sink like a stone but fingers crossed)
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 11:5214 edits
    To Start...

- Coumarin
    Found in spices and made synthetically, you get trace amounts in food and its used a lot in cosmetics. But its a lung-specific carcinogen - its bad to inhale, it aggravates the lungs (was banned from tobacco for this reason)

Its regularly added to deoderants / anti persperants where you will inhale it. You know when you spray them it makes you gag - coumarin is partly responsible.

My farther never smoked but got respiritory problems from working in a bad office - chemicals like coumarin (and ozone in offices) contribute to this type of problem. If you gag at deodorants it could well be this chemical and I say they should ban it / or use it very cautiously where it will be inhaled. It smells nice but its not that good for you.

(And to those who say cynic - you still get chloroform in UK cough medicine - so long as i see that i won't trust anything else!!)

- Article
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin

Your thoughts?

Next chemical? ... 🙂
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 14:18
    Originally posted by e4chris
    To Start...

- Coumarin
    Found in spices and made synthetically, you get trace amounts in food and its used a lot in cosmetics. But its a lung-specific carcinogen - its bad to inhale, it aggravates the lungs (was banned from tobacco for this reason)

Its regularly added to deoderants / anti persperants where you will inhale it. You know when you spray th ...[text shortened]...

- Article

Your thoughts?

Next chemical? ... 🙂
    Advancement in scientific knowledge is expected to solve all problems including evilution.
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 12:391 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Advancement in scientific knowledge is expected to solve all problems including evilution.
    whats the scariest chemical (you can mention) you had in the army rj?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 15:45
    I was in the Signal Corps, so did not deal with scary chemicals. I never enjoyed going into the tear gas chamber where we were forced to stay in it without our masks for a few minutes so we could feel some of the effects of the choking, irritation of the eyes and nose. I didn't even like trying to work in that protective clothing on days we had exercises. It made doing ordinary tasks of my job very difficult even without the gloves.

The idea of being attacted with a nerve chemical is problably what scared me the most, since I would have to recognize it quick enough to jab my thigh with one of the nerve antidote injection needles.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 23:54
    To Start...

- Coumarin

Its regularly added to deoderants / anti persperants where you will inhale it. You know when you spray th ...[text shortened]...

- Article

Your thoughts?

Next chemical? ... 🙂
    Never heard of it so I checked out your wiki link.
    Nothing there to get excited about.
    I note that it can be used to treat asthma.

I also discovered that you may be able to OD on cinnamon!

Problem is most everything is dangerous! Don't lose sleep over it!
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 00:01
    I know the army make use of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) as a cleaning
    agent and a food additive. Apparently the US Navy could not function without it.
    More insidious is its presence in civilian milk supplies.
    http://www.dhmo.org/milk.html
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 03:57
    This thread is for 'questionable' consumer chemicals - I'd really like you to name any you are unsure about / exposed too. So they can be discussed.

(it might sink like a stone but fingers crossed)
    Triclosan, an antimicrobial chemical added to soap, toothpaste, and loads of other items you might find in a medicine cabinet.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 03:59
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I know the army make use of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) as a cleaning
    agent and a food additive. Apparently the US Navy could not function without it.
    More insidious is its presence in civilian milk supplies.
    http://www.dhmo.org/milk.html
    The real shame is that babies are born addicted to the stuff.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 04:40
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    The real shame is that babies are born addicted to the stuff.
    Yes, I know. Its really sad.

Most of the stuff my son drinks has got DHMO in it.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 07:05
    Yes, I know. Its really sad.

Most of the stuff my son drinks has got DHMO in it.
    I drink skim milk and Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Coke and ice water. Probably good for what ails you, but I am ignorant of medicine and leave that to the medical professionals.
  12. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 09:53
    i can't believe marijuana is illegal but synthetic marijuana is 100% legal wtf
  13. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 10:17
    Sodium nitrate is a food preservative it's in meats

from wikip

used in foods forms small amounts of nitrosamines (N-nitroso compounds or NOCs), some of which are human carcinogens known to cause DNA damage and increased cellular degeneration. Studies have shown a link between increased levels of nitrates and increased deaths from certain diseases including Alzheimer's, diabetes mellitus and Parkinson's, possibly through the damaging effect of nitrosamines on DNA.[9] Nitrosamines, formed in cured meats containing sodium nitrate and nitrite, have been linked to gastric cancer and oesophageal cancer.[10] Sodium nitrate and nitrite are associated with a higher risk of colorectal cancer.[11] World Cancer Research Fund UK,[12] states that one of the reasons that processed meat increases the risk of colon cancer is its content of nitrate. A small amount of the nitrate added to meat as a preservative breaks down into nitrite, in addition to any nitrite that may also be added. The nitrite then reacts with protein-rich foods (such as meat) to produce NOCs. NOCs can be formed either when meat is cured or in the body as meat is digested
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 20:37
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I drink skim milk and Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Coke and ice water. Probably good for what ails you, but I am ignorant of medicine and leave that to the medical professionals.
    All that crap you are drinking is full of DHMO.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 23:19
    All that crap you are drinking is full of DHMO.
    I believe the ingredients are secret.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree