1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 09:442 edits
    Maybe theres something pot calling the kettle black about a stoner doing this thread - so here are 4 of my own pet hates;

Council Hash - Its plastic and you know it is!

But now to 3 Big Toxins - Mental Posions to be avoided...

1 Neil Young - I knew a very bright young guy who suffered about 6 years of depression just by listening to Neil Young - he is the biggest anti depressant salesman there is.

2 Morrissey - God gave you hands! This life is a blessing!

3 Lou Reed - Wo is the druggy debutant ... how sad....

There you go!
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 21:38
    oh and lead paint , apparently we still export it?
  3. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 23:061 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    oh and lead paint , apparently we still export it?
    Lead paint is still made, not sure why. Nickel in coins is questionable, it is toxic, I've seen newsagents who wear 'mits' that cover there palms and its a good idea. here's an article on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17773007

why don't they just use steel?
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 21:48
    Ketchup that does not contain tomatoes - just red dye - it should be outlawed! Some folk are a bit (too!) dependant on ketchup having some nutritional value!
  5. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 02:10
    Antiperspirants - there is plenty on the net about them being linked to breast cancer (??)

I wouldn't know but for me - you have a load of lymph nodes under the armpits and they are sensitive to toxic chemicals, even just being touched. I've always thought it very stupid to wilfully spray chemicals on them.

Breast cancer is fairly common and there are different types. in the US a big driver was found to be HRT - that does cause it.

I don't believe in the modern habit of spraying chems on your armpits it seems dumb. You could get for a while salt balls which worked quite well. seems a better idea to me....
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 10:02
    I don't want to get conspiratorial about antiperspirants (there are sites that are) if it sits on the skin and is absorbent I can't see a big risk...

I'm a little bit sceptical of the use of propylene glycol in cosmetics - its perfectly safe on its own not the least bit toxic, but its job is to pull other chemicals into the skin, sometimes that might? be bad.
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 12:28
    is not absorbed even

there was a study I saw in the daily mail saying sun block was good on the skin but could be counter productive if absorbed or rubbed in to much...

I was going to post one of the 'conspiracy' sites but they are not hard to find....
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 09:42
    pesticides toxic to bees - there was quite a lot of fuss about this in the UK from bee keepers who say it damages there pets...

http://pesticidestewardship.org/PollinatorProtection/Pages/Pesticide-Toxicity-to-Bees.aspx
  9. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    12 Jun '13 23:446 edits
    I was going to list tobacco additives, you can get (minging) additive free tobacco. But... get this they listed 599 back in 1994 and they are all safe(?) in food! fizzy pop used to be just as bad for additives!

heres a big long list - The A's and a few B's .... Some brands do smell of Benzaldehyde...

Acetanisole
    Acetic acid
    Acetoin
    Acetophenone
    6-Acetoxydihydrotheaspirane
    2-Acetyl-3-Ethylpyrazine
    2-Acetyl-5-Methylfuran
    Acetylpyrazine
    2-Acetylpyridine
    3-Acetylpyridine
    2-Acetylthiazole
    Aconitic Acid
    dl-Alanine
    Alfalfa Extract
    Allspice Extract, Oleoresin, and Oil
    Allyl Hexanoate
    Allyl Ionone
    Almond Bitter Oil
    Ambergris Tincture
    Ammonia
    Ammonium Bicarbonate
    Ammonium Hydroxide
    Diammonium phosphate
    Ammonium sulfide
    Amyl Alcohol
    Amyl Butyrate
    Amyl Formate
    Amyl Octanoate
    alpha-Amylcinnamaldehyde
    Amyris Oil
    trans-Anethole
    Angelica Root Extract, Oil and Seed Oil
    Anise
    Anise Star, Extract and Oils
    Anisyl Acetate
    Anisyl Alcohol
    Anisyl Formate
    Anisyl Phenylacetate
    Apple Juice Concentrate, Extract, and Skins
    Apricot Extract and Juice Concentrate
    L-Arginine
    Asafetida Fluid Extract And Oil
    Ascorbic Acid
    L-Asparagine Monohydrate
    L-Aspartic Acid

B [edit]
    Balsam Peru and Oil
    Basil Oil
    Bay leaf, Oil and Sweet Oil
    Beeswax White
    Beet Juice Concentrate
    Benzaldehyde
    Benzaldehyde Glyceryl Acetal
    Irn Bru
    Benzoic acid, Benzoin
    Benzoin Resin
    Benzophenone
    Benzyl Alcohol
    Benzyl Benzoate
    Benzyl Butyrate
    Benzyl Cinnamate
    Benzyl Propionate
    Benzyl salicylate
    Bergamot Oil
    Bisabolene
    Black Currant Buds Absolute
    Borneol
    Bornyl Acetate
    Buchu Leaf Oil
    1,3-Butanediol
    2,3-Butanedione
    1-Butanol
    2-Butanone
  10. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 03:0910 edits
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/opinion/sunday/kristof-the-cancer-lobby.html?_r=0

Big Chem apparently worries that you might be confused if you learned that formaldehyde caused cancer of the nose and throat, and perhaps leukemia as well.

The industry’s strategy is to lobby Congress to cut off money for the Report on Carcinogens, a 500-page consensus document published every two years by the National Institutes of Health, containing the best information about what agents cause cancer. If that sounds like shooting the messenger, well, it is.

Yes the science geniuses of these forums can go on ignoring this thread ... seems you are good company, DuPont would like people to shut up about it too, and there putrid lawyers (pray there's no hell) are working as such, maybe they should send a letter to Australia saying be quiet. if you know how to get paid by them do tell...

It has to be pointed out if du pont was a country not a company the United Kingdom and Australia could be at war with them, don't underestimate that - look at the falklands, Du Pont have done the same to Australia. That is not a far fetched allegation, it is quite true. Its time they ceased to exist. Companies cannot do that much harm, stay wilfully indifferent, infact continue down the exact same path and survive.
  11. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 08:255 edits
    Originally posted by e4chris
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/opinion/sunday/kristof-the-cancer-lobby.html?_r=0

[b]Big Chem apparently worries that you might be confused if you learned that formaldehyde caused cancer of the nose and throat, and perhaps leukemia as well.

The industry’s strategy is to lobby Congress to cut off money for the Report on Carcinogens, a 500-page consen at much harm, stay wilfully indifferent, infact continue down the exact same path and survive.
    Wilfully ignoring carcinogens just like for years Du pont did with with CFCs to the destruction of Australia's ozone layer is deadly serious indeed. Paying lawyers to kill any cancer research rather then using there trillions to fund it is worse.

I said war and yes to be more specific re deliberately releasing toxic chemicals. China had a milk company that cut its products with a nitrogen compound causing millions of cases of liver / kidney disease. The company executives were tried and executed. In Russia Alexander Litvinenko fell foul of the govt and Oil & gas companies run by Putin and was assassinated with polonium-210. I suggest DuPont base themselves in one of those countries...

YouTube
  12. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 20:432 edits
    I do plan to be inflammatory about du-pont no denying that.

but to be fair just a bit. I don't think CFCs were there invention. Most chemists in the 60s thought they were safe and very useful.

Its du-ponts desire to cling onto toxic chemicals and fight any decent regulation tooth and nail, they still are today, that puts them in the line of fire. There lawyers told us CFCs were safe, so what are they lying about now? They are still using the exact same process of fighting any govt tesing when that policy has already killed millions indirectly and will kill many more as the ozone problem plays out.

Its a deadly mistake and they need to be held account govt should force tests on them and imprison there lawyers / executives if they are acting brazenly against the public interest.
  13. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    29 Jun '13 00:157 edits
    OK a more light hearted one now, energy drinks, I quite like some of them... but .... from...

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/taurine.htm

#2 on bing under 'Taurine'

Urban Legend......

A popular misconception is that taurine is derived from the testicles of a bull. While the word taurine has its root in the Latin word Taurus, meaning bull, it was originally found in the bile of an ox (an ox is a castrated bull). Taurine can also be isolated from the urine of female cattle. Commercially though the taurine in energy drinks is made synthetically

The Science Behind Taurine

Taurine, also known as 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, is a nonessential amino acid. It is the most abundant free amino acid in many tissues. Taurine is particularly high in foods such as meat and fish proteins. It is synthesized in the liver via the cysteine sulfonic pathway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine). In newborns, taurine is essential as they cannot make it. Furthermore, it is different from most other amino acids in that it is not incorporated into proteins. Nevertheless, it does play many important roles in the body one which is metabolism (http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=1971). Taurine is found in the central nervous system, skeletal muscle, and heart. However, it is more heavily concentrated in heart tissues and the brain (http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=1971). In electrically active tissues such as the heart and brain, it helps stabilize cell membranes. It has been implicated in the following physiological phenomenon: inhibitory neurotransmission, long-term potentiation in the striatum/hippocampus, feedback inhibition of neutrophil/macrophage respiratory bursts, adipose tissue regulation, and calcium homeostasis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine). Conversely, the evidence for taurine in these roles is not as great as its role in bile acid synthesis and osmoregulation.

Alcohol and Taurine in rats

Kerai, et al. (2005) did a study to determine the effect of taurine and alcohol on the rat liver. Alcohol was administered to female rats for 28 days. This led to hepatic steatosis and lipid peroxidation in the rats. However, when taurine was administered along with the alcohol, there was a reduction in hepatic steatosis and completely prevented the lipid peroxidation. This data shows that taurine can have protective benefits for the liver for problems caused by alcohol. Nevertheless, this study was conducted on rats thus, we do not know if it would have a similar effect on humans. In addition, we do not know if the taurine in energy drinks can have the same effect. The taurine may act differently when it is present with caffeine and other energy drink ingredients.

that's a bit vague but between the lines it is in.... gutted to the person buying the organic version 🙂
  14. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    29 Jun '13 08:142 edits
    Just found this - dates back to 2007 so not 'news' just a case...

http://consumerist.com/2007/12/10/china-pulls-carcinogenic-us-pringles-from-hong-kong-shelves/

an international row about pringles and potassium bromate (which we don't use in the UK) - it's a serious business!

what Wikipedia says
    Bromate is considered a category 2B (possibly carcinogenic to humans) carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).[2]

Potassium bromate has been banned from use in food products in the EU, Canada, Nigeria, Brazil,[3], South Korea, Peru and some other countries. It was banned in Sri Lanka in 2001[4]and China in 2005.

In the United States, it has not been banned. The FDA sanctioned the use of bromate before the Delaney clause of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act—which bans potentially carcinogenic substances— went into effect in 1958. But since 1991 the FDA has urged bakers to voluntarily stop using it. In California a warning label is required when bromated flour is used.
  15. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    23 Jul '13 19:491 edit
    I was running out of dubious chemicals, then I read about N-Dubz Tulisa and found his one;

Crack - Here is a commercial;
    YouTube

No no no .... She uses Asian temple viper's venom as moisturiser, as one does;

''Tulisa is also a fan of their Wrinkle Killer Snake Serum, a £135 potion that includes syn-ake - a neuro-peptide that mimics the effect of the Asian temple viper's venom.''

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2333249/Forget-price-tag-Jessie-J-Tulisa-beauty-tweets-spark-waiting-lists-luxury-face-creams.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

😵 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree