1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 11:221 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Triclosan, an antimicrobial chemical added to soap, toothpaste, and loads of other items you might find in a medicine cabinet.
    That's on my don't buy list - people buy anti-bacs that are much worse for them then the bacteria!

I've never heard of DHMO
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 13:05
    Originally posted by e4chris
    That's on my don't buy list - people buy anti-bacs that are much worse for them then the bacteria!

I've never heard of DHMO
    You should be especially worried about the DHMO stuff. Studies have found that 100% of people who have consumed it eventually die.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 16:32
    Originally posted by Kepler
    You should be especially worried about the DHMO stuff. Studies have found that 100% of people who have consumed it eventually die.
    I believe 100% of ordinary people who consumed anything eventually die, without any studies.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 20:091 edit

I've never heard of DHMO
    Thousands have died through inhalation of the stuff.
    You better check it out.
    I'm guessing that if you work in a lab you probably come into contact with it all the time.

DiHydrogenMonOxide. (DHMO)
    http://www.dhmo.org/

btw: Is your degree in Chemistry or another science?
  5. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 01:291 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Thousands have died through inhalation of the stuff.
    You better check it out.
    I'm guessing that if you work in a lab you probably come into contact with it all the time.

DiHydrogenMonOxide. (DHMO)
    http://www.dhmo.org/

btw: Is your degree in Chemistry or another science?
    Its medicinal chemistry, I studied drugs / natural compounds in particular

Kepler made me chuckle - but there is this arrogance in the UK that american companies force dodgy chemicals on us (they did by the ton when they didn't understand them) but the US and Australia now have tougher laws then the UK on this - we are lax - hydrogenated veg oil, chloroform, formaldehyde, they are banned in the US...

re coumarin - i have lots of products with it in - but you do get deodorants and air freshners that border on being bio hazards here, that can't be good.
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 08:24
    Its medicinal chemistry, I studied drugs / natural compounds in particular

Kepler made me chuckle - but there is this arrogance in the UK that american companies force dodgy chemicals on us (they did by the ton when they didn't understand them) but the US and Australia now have tougher laws then the UK on this - we are lax - hydrogenated veg oil, chlorofo ...[text shortened]... do get deodorants and air freshners that border on being bio hazards here, that can't be good.
    So now it's lack of understanding rather than evil chemists?
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 11:111 edit
    Originally posted by Kepler
    So now it's lack of understanding rather than evil chemists?
    haber was deeply evil and chemists seem to forget that - but yes lack of understanding, plus very cheap old industrial chemicals - and in the UK the tendency to buy them because they are 'strong' - kills 250% of bacteria etc
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 11:212 edits
    Here is another one - PFOA in microwave popcorn bags

rather good article;

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400701/Microwave-Popcorn-Threat.html

that is on my don't buy (in bold!) list. Also cheap and turned out by a rather reckless chemical company.
  9. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 12:07
    haber was deeply evil and chemists seem to forget that - but yes lack of understanding, plus very cheap old industrial chemicals - and in the UK the tendency to buy them because they are 'strong' - kills 250% of bacteria etc
    So lack of understanding and consumer stupidity?
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 17:18
    Here is another one - PFOA in microwave popcorn bags

rather good article;

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400701/Microwave-Popcorn-Threat.html

that is on my don't buy (in bold!) list. Also cheap and turned out by a rather reckless chemical company.
    We got a hand-cranked popcorn popper for the stovetop last year. Cheaper than the microwaved crap, and without the evil chemicals.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 06:46
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    We got a hand-cranked popcorn popper for the stovetop last year. Cheaper than the microwaved crap, and without the evil chemicals.
    I guess ther is no evil-lution there.
  12. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 23:27
    I'm not sure whats in it but this is a real product! have seen it in the garden centre 🙂

Cat-a-pult 🙂

http://www.crowders.co.uk/library/products/large/large_1_79709676_cat_a_pult_cat_repellent_1_litre_by_bayer_garden.jpg

what do you make of that ?
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 00:01
    I'm not sure whats in it but this is a real product! have seen it in the garden centre 🙂

Cat-a-pult 🙂

http://www.crowders.co.uk/library/products/large/large_1_79709676_cat_a_pult_cat_repellent_1_litre_by_bayer_garden.jpg

what do you make of that ?
    Any cats in my garden get sprayed with concentrated DHMO ... seems to work.
    😀
  14. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 00:441 edit
    you may think you are so clever with your dhmo 🙂... but bruce lee was killed by a pain killer and jackie o by her hair dye - and don't delude yourself that they have got much better since!
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:07
    ... jackie o by her hair dye -
    Is this a reference to the statistical study linking hair dye to bladder cancer?

Didn't Jackie have blood cancer?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree