1. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    18 May '13 04:01
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I'm not sure how bad they are - I would put Du Pont higher on the list, they played a big part in the CFC problems.

Crops are grown on such a massive scale i can sort of understand GM. Its happened naturally for generations - breeding plant strains. I think the word genetic scares people but i would not worry to much about eating them, you don't pick up dna by eating it!
    Traditional cross breeding is totally different from genetically modified species. For example, Monsanto has inserted pesticides into the genetic code of corn and sugar beets. You then eat this crap. Your children et this crap. GMO's have been banned throughout Europe for good reason.
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    18 May '13 12:131 edit
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Traditional cross breeding is totally different from genetically modified species. For example, Monsanto has inserted pesticides into the genetic code of corn and sugar beets. You then eat this crap. Your children et this crap. GMO's have been banned throughout Europe for good reason.
    My understanding is they invented a 'terminator' gene which means the plants can't reproduce - people said that was bad but its exactly what you want in a GM plant. And they made them resistant to round up, that they make. The result is cheap food and i have no problem with that.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    18 May '13 13:03
    You cannot possibly insert pesticides into the genetic code of plants. It seems you are severely misinformed about GMO's, which is also evidenced by your erroneous claim that GMO's have been banned throughout Europe.

The pesticide content of foods is strictly regulated and generally the health risks of pesticides are negligible compared to, say, the health risks of obesity.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 May '13 21:27
    Originally posted by e4chris
    i think it is safe to eat peas wolfgang, they are safe! 😀

...edit... but apparently not potatoes
    http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/potatoes/p/solanine.htm 🙂
    Peas can be dangerous ...

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/karma-man-killed-wife-peas-dies-choking-piece-chicken/

... but not as dangerous as chicken!

Seriously though: there are toxins in all peas, mostly destroyed by cooking, but there nonetheless.
  5. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    20 May '13 20:472 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Peas can be dangerous ...

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/karma-man-killed-wife-peas-dies-choking-piece-chicken/

... but not as dangerous as chicken!

Seriously though: there are toxins in all peas, mostly destroyed by cooking, but there nonetheless.
    🙂 its suprising the toxins in fruit n veg...

i'm most worried about preservatives because that family of chemicals are meant to be toxic, and i think them unnecersary as most food can be heat treated or dried. Colours can be artificial but i remember from chemistry you only need the tiniest amount, there always last on the list...

Also for years chemist did underestimate the toxicity of carbon chloride bonds (cfcs, teflon, plastics etc) they appear harmless, and there toxicity only comes out in cancers a few years later, after the factorys been built (for the cynical)
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    22 May '13 23:29
    I'm running out of chemicals 🙁

but this one is questionable - sorry its a bit gross!
    Nonoxynol-9
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonoxynol-9
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    24 May '13 20:46
    Oh no another one
    Sudan Red - good article still gets used illegaly

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Financial-Industry/Sudan-red-colouring-fine-a-warning-to-food-industry

Was used in curries quit a lot until its was banned. All that colour must be the erbs n spices!
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    25 May '13 21:104 edits
    More chemicals! this time its benzene again but from new cars... theres quite a lot on the net about sodium benzoate. Rules in the UK only came into force in 2006 re its dubious use in soft drinks - its toxicity is turning into benzene and poor storage a factor - so there could be a risk with its use in cosmetics (if left in a window for example)

here is your deadly new car - sorry !
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_car_smell

Also some car even bicycle lubricants can be toxic - you get cfcs in them and often in the premium ones, they make very good lubricants but toxic - if you don't wear gloves you are a bit at risk...

it must be said benzene is nasty but not lethal and in both cases its tiny amounts but none is better.
  9. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    27 May '13 11:083 edits
    There have been a few coments about odd toxins in veg even more when they are covered in pesticides.

I had a friend who went on a raw food diet - a stupid idea i think; here is a healthy organic! soup mix http://www.earthfare.co.uk/prodzoomimg5246.jpg
    to cook it you boil it for a while, its probably a bit toxic raw... for me greens should be near raw and carbs very well boiled, there are quite a few semi toxic carbs eg some yams
  10. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    27 May '13 13:18
    I believe the dangers posed by genetically modified food products is our greatest current risk. Please go to www.responsibletechnology.org. On the menu hit GMO Education, Fraud or Autism for more information. I urge you all to take a look especially if you or a loved one is interested in starting a family or if you have children. 50 countries, including France, Germany and Italy have banned or estricted GMO's, while the U.S. doesn't even require labeling.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    27 May '13 16:43
    I believe the dangers posed by genetically modified food products is our greatest current risk. Please go to www.responsibletechnology.org. On the menu hit GMO Education, Fraud or Autism for more information. I urge you all to take a look especially if you or a loved one is interested in starting a family or if you have children. 50 countries, including ...[text shortened]... ermany and Italy have banned or estricted GMO's, while the U.S. doesn't even require labeling.
    A very informative and totally unbiased website full of accurate information and peer-reviewed research.
  12. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    27 May '13 23:571 edit
    I believe the dangers posed by genetically modified food products is our greatest current risk. Please go to www.responsibletechnology.org. On the menu hit GMO Education, Fraud or Autism for more information. I urge you all to take a look especially if you or a loved one is interested in starting a family or if you have children. 50 countries, including ...[text shortened]... ermany and Italy have banned or estricted GMO's, while the U.S. doesn't even require labeling.
    A bit of skepticism is good because they could make too much money out of it it they can.

But I don't worry to much about carbs that come from that source, 'organic' could even be worse for you - ever tried orgainic chillies?. I think people should buy quality grains more its fairly cheap but you don't need them in everything. Also if it brings fruit and veg down in price thats good - I buy the hot house tomatoes that are very processed, like them. but quality ones as a treat are worth getting.

I wish people would keep simple quality food in the market but make way for cheap gm too. just my view.
  13. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    29 May '13 09:49
    for as long as I'm on RHP this thread will keep going... but I'm putting up all the chemicals - surely you must have some?

Flourescent tubes - i was speaking to a care taker who said they are a nightmare if they break, really toxic stuff in them...
  14. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    29 May '13 19:14
    I have found 2 'natural' ones

Fire Dried Organic Scotch Bonnet Chili Peppers
    http://www.shopnewzealand.in/en/cp/Organic_Scotch_Bonnet

Rocket Fuel guarana coffee
    http://fbg.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/rocketfuel_tfl_advert_may11.jpg

To be honest i think setting fire to your kitchen would be less trouble then eating the first 😲 luckily only could find it in NZ.... But that coffee am tempted by!
  15. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    31 May '13 07:018 edits
    gluten free diets / xanthan gum -

Some people think gluten is bad - the clues in the name 'glue - ten' its sticky, to digest it you need fibre, why people who eat porridge tend to live long. Unless you really are intolerant to it and few are gluten free diets are a bit silly. Xanthan gum is even more sticky, how can it be better?

(Am not saying its bad just a slighly bogus health food, have tried it and gluten free products taste more stodgy to me not less!)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree