1. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 02:51
    @wolfgang59 said
    How would a "specified location" be dialled-in?
    We have no reference point.
    Even with a free smartphone app you can now find the precise orbital position, tilt and rotation angle of any planet at any point in time -- past, present or future. The reference point would be your location at the exact time of your time-jump.
  2. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 03:09
    @lemon-lime said
    "I couldn't resist a "sillly" reply."
    There's nothing sillly about the possibility of space traveling alien man eating bunnies.

This is precisely the sort of scenario that keeps me awake at night.
    In a game of chess an anticipated attack can be successfully dealt with if you anticipate it. By the same token, we will only be in a position to thwart an alien attack if we are prepared for it.
    A sudden alien attack is not the only thing that should keep you awake at night. There's meteors, rogue neutron stars, gamma bursts, solar super-flares, and super-volcanic eruptions. And I'm not even including all the potential man-made disasters.
    Best chance you have is to run and hide inside asteroids, where you can remain hidden and safe.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 06:06
    @venda said
    We also know Dinosaurs weren't capable of leaving artifacts.
    If a pre dinosaur civilasation destroyed themselves in a nuclear holocaust and the planet sustained no life for a million years or more , I'm not sure there'd be much evidence left to see
    When we have evidence of life from 4 billion years ago and evidence of a meteor
    strike 65 million years ago ... I think nuclear devastation would show up!
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 06:08
    @bunnyknight said
    Even with a free smartphone app you can now find the precise orbital position, tilt and rotation angle of any planet at any point in time -- past, present or future. The reference point would be your location at the exact time of your time-jump.
    Your bonkers. The position of the planets is with reference to the sun. In absolute terms how would you know where the earth will be in an hours time?
  5. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 14:05
    @bunnyknight said

Best chance you have is to run and hide inside asteroids, where you can remain hidden and safe.
    along with micro-organisms that seeded the Earth (Panspermia)
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 14:231 edit
    @venda said
    I'm sure I've voiced this opinion before but I can't remember which forum it was so I'll pose the questions and my beliefs again:-
    1. IF aliens had the techology to travel thro' space why would they pick on an insignificant planet orbiting an insignificant star in one of billions of galaxies?.
    2. WHY do all the "alien" sightings consist of beings veryt similar to the human fo ...[text shortened]... back in time.
    They only have to work out how to do it and dodge the "grandmother paradox" somehow.
    I wish I'd read this whole thread before posting. It seems that serious and interesting discussions are no longer possible in this Forum. Oh well! I'll accept it as it is.

I tend to think similarly.

The infinite vastness of space renders light-speed as an incompatible barrier for efficient, timely travel using the traditional "point A to point B" model.

An intriguing possibility is the existence of a "wormhole" or an "inter-dimensional portal".

A rip or tear in "space-time" is said to be theoretically possible. During the peak of nuclear weapons testing, could such a portal have been created and used for exploratory travel by an extraterrestrial intelligence? I suppose it's possible.

Additionally, quantum theory at least suggests the possibility of parallel universes. Could an advanced intelligence have already discovered a work-around?

They've had 13.6 Billion years in this universe to work it out. 🙂
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 19:301 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    When we have evidence of life from 4 billion years ago and evidence of a meteor
    strike 65 million years ago ... I think nuclear devastation would show up!
    Just read today of Roman ruins being exposed because of the drought in Wales in 2018 that we never knew existed, and that's not even 2000 years ago.
    Life 4 billion years ago could just be the rebirth.
    0.6 billion years is a long time since the Earth was supposedly formed
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 19:37
    @wolfe63 said
    I wish I'd read this whole thread before posting. It seems that serious and interesting discussions are no longer possible in this Forum. Oh well! I'll accept it as it is.

The infinite vastness of space renders light-speed as an incompatible barrier for efficient, timely travel using the traditional "point A to point B" model.

An ...[text shortened]... eady discovered a work-around?

You don't think the possibility of space traveling alien man eating bunnies is serious?
    It may not interest you now. But if they arrive on earth, any rational person would see this as being a serious problem.

The operative word here is "rational".
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 19:57
    @wolfe63 said

An ...[text shortened]... eady discovered a work-around?

An intriguing possibility is the existence of a "wormhole"
    Last time I looked wormholes are (theoretically) the connected gravity wells between two black holes. The idea here is you enter in on one side and come out the other while somehow avoiding the black holes on either side. Inside the worm hole you are accelerated past light speed, causing you to travel backwards in time...

Assuming of course you:
    1) can avoid getting sucked into either black hole
    2) are not torn apart by violent forces inside the 'wormhole'
    3) are somehow able to travel faster than c
  10. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 22:47
    @wolfgang59 said
    Your bonkers. The position of the planets is with reference to the sun. In absolute terms how would you know where the earth will be in an hours time?
    Well how do you think NASA gets a probe to Neptune ... by finding it's absolute position relative to the center of the universe? No. They calculate its future position relative to Earth years ahead of time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree