1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 13:37
    @ogb said
    yes, and in England they absolutely from aliens.. They have the math for PI, and maps representing our solar system.. !
    They have the math for PI, and maps representing our solar system.. !
    So do I.
    If you were an alien wanting to make an impression on the citizens of another planet, would you be likely to pick a tiny island like Britain?
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 21:231 edit
    @ogb said
    if a person travels thru time, must he travel any distance, too? What's wrong with staying exactly in one place, but gaining or losing time? without moving any distance, at all.
    There are a couple of probems with staying in the same place. The most obvious would be that you don't know what future or past differences might exist in that spot. You could only safely travel forwards or backwards in time if the spot looks the same, e.g. no structures that didn't exist before traveling, or differences in the topography. You could start off on dry land and find yourself in the middle of a lake or worse, embedded in a tree or side of a hill.

Another problem would be trying to arrive on the same spot without accounting for movement of the planet. You want your time machine to arrive on the same earth coordinate you started from, and not in outer space. You need to arrive on the same fixed position in a different time frame, but I frankly have no idea how that could work. Because in order to arrive at the same place you would need to travel the same direction and distance the earth is traveling. You need at least one fixed point of reference (the spot of ground you leave and wish to arrive on) along with I don't know how many other points of reference just to be able to track and follow that same spot until you arrive at your time destination.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 00:16
    @venda said
    a tiny island like Britain?
    The UK is about the 300th tiniest out of islands greater than 1,000 sq km.
    It is the 9th largest in the world.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 00:21
    @venda said
    Another plausible theory concerning the unexplained things found on Earth(I assume you're referring to the cave drawings and such)is that a previous advanced civilization on Earth was wiped out leaving little evidence of their existence.
    Dinosaurs didn't leave much in the way of artifacts but we know they existed.
    I'm sure any previous civilisation would have left its mark.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 00:22
    @lemon-lime said
    There are a couple of probems with staying in the same place. The most obvious would be that you don't know what future or past differences might exist in that spot. You could only safely travel forwards or backwards in time if the spot looks the same, e.g. no structures that didn't exist before traveling, or differences in the topography. You could start off on dry land and find yourself in the middle of a lake or worse, embedded in a tree or side of a hill.
    Far more likely to end up in empty space!
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 01:50
    @wolfgang59 said
    Far more likely to end up in empty space!
    That's silly! Every time traveler with half a brain knows that they must dial-in their destination controls to a precise location at the specified arrival time. Even my dog knows that.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 12:26
    @wolfgang59 said
    The UK is about the 300th tiniest out of islands greater than 1,000 sq km.
    It is the 9th largest in the world.
    Still an island though.
    I think I'd want to land where my presence would be most likely be observed by the greatest number of people or somewhere where my presence would not be observed.
    In neither scenario would Britain be ideal
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 12:31
    @wolfgang59 said
    Dinosaurs didn't leave much in the way of artifacts but we know they existed.
    I'm sure any previous civilisation would have left its mark.
    We also know Dinosaurs weren't capable of leaving artifacts.
    If a pre dinosaur civilasation destroyed themselves in a nuclear holocaust and the planet sustained no life for a million years or more , I'm not sure there'd be much evidence left to see
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 12:35
    @bunnyknight said
    That's silly! Every time traveler with half a brain knows that they must dial-in their destination controls to a precise location at the specified arrival time. Even my dog knows that.
    I assume then that you've sent your dog time travelling and it's returned successfully.
    You have given yourself away.
    You must be an alien living among us.
    Why aren't you better at chess?
    Sorry. I know this is a serious forum but I couldn't resist a "sillly" reply
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 16:10
    @venda said
    I assume then that you've sent your dog time travelling and it's returned successfully.
    "You have given yourself away.
    You must be an alien living among us."

A race of highly evolved bunnies? I suppose it's possible, but a predator rather than prey type is more likely to develop the technology necessary for space travel in search of...

I don't know, something to eat?
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 16:271 edit
    @venda said
    "I couldn't resist a "sillly" reply."
    There's nothing sillly about the possibility of space traveling alien man eating bunnies.

This is precisely the sort of scenario that keeps me awake at night.
    In a game of chess an anticipated attack can be successfully dealt with if you anticipate it. By the same token, we will only be in a position to thwart an alien attack if we are prepared for it.
  12. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 16:52
    @venda said
    If you tell this secret to anyone, I will time-port your pc keyboard back to stone age.
    And if you think I'm joking then look into my eyes -- does it look like I'm joking?
  13. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 19:431 edit
    @bunnyknight said
    If you tell this secret to anyone, I will time-port your pc keyboard back to stone age.
    And if you think I'm joking then look into my eyes -- does it look like I'm joking?
    I daren't look in your eyes bunny.
    I remember the Goat of Mendes in Dennis Wheatley's "The devil rides out"
    I read the book in my teens and when the film came on tv looked forward to it with great anticipation.
    It was rubbish!! but there was the line "don't look at the eyes Rex"
    There was also the line near the end"Time has been turned back for us" or something like that"
    Was it you who did that?
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 02:01
    @bunnyknight said
    How would a "specified location" be dialled-in?
    We have no reference point.
  15. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 02:45
    @venda said
    I daren't look in your eyes bunny.
    I remember the Goat of Mendes in Dennis Wheatley's "The devil rides out"
    I read the book in my teens and when the film came on tv looked forward to it with great anticipation.
    It was rubbish!! but there was the line "don't look at the eyes Rex"
    There was also the line near the end"Time has been turned back for us" or something like that"
    Was it you who did that?
    My eyes were supposed to skeer you, not inspire you. Something must have gone wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree