1. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    11 Jun '20 22:40
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    We have much better stuff than 'high power microscopes' now, field electron microscopes, atomic force microscopes, neutron scattering scopes, high power electron microscopes that can visualize individual atoms.
    So claiming they didn't know what it was did not have access to modern equipment.
    Elecron microscopes with "EDX" sensors for instance, I was lucky eno ...[text shortened]... roscopes.
    Just saying, they didn't have modern tools and undoubtedly came to unfounded conclusions.
    But they did come to a conclusion that the carbon sliver was not natural -- and that's not insignificant. Furthermore, I have no idea what happened to that sliver afterwards. All I remember is that she seemed scared, as if she told me too much.

Now here's a related thought experiment for a top-notch scientist like you: You just retrieved a genuine engine and power unit from an alien UFO that crashed in your yard, and no one yet knows about it. What do you think would actually happen, and how would you prove it? Think it through carefully --- take your time.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    12 Jun '20 13:071 edit
    @bunnyknight said
    1. Our aliens may simply be very close to us, both distance-wise and genetically. There could be millions of other alien races across the galaxies that don't even know we exist, or don't care.

2. It's fairly obvious that these aliens have genetic similarities to our own, or even share some of our DNA.

3. There's no reason to assume it's a coincidence. We could ...[text shortened]... h life could have been imported from elsewhere.

4. Traveling back in time is extremely unlikely.
    1."Very close" is still a hell of a way in astronomical terms. I agree that there could be millions of other life forms in the universe.
    2 and 3. I agree that our dna could have arrived via a meteor or something but I think it extremely unlikely to have developed in a similar way from the primordial soup in 2 different environments.
    4. A lot of things were considered to be "extremely unlikely" in our history including the earth not being the centre of the universe. As far as I know time travel has not been proved to break the laws of the universe.The last I read the jury was still out.
  3. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    12 Jun '20 17:35
    @suzianne said
    Your tailor called.

They have your tin-foil hat ready.
    A tin-foil hat is insufficient. For good protection you also need tin-foil panties. But if you want the best, go for copper-foil. Personally, all my clothing is copper-foil and now I'm saving money for copper-foil bed sheets and a copper-foil vest for my dog.
    Better safe than sorry! Them aliens are sneaky fellas!
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 14:45
    @wolfgang59 said
    Thanks for the intel.
    I guess we'll have to look carefully at the windows to see if the pilot is green or not.
    That's racist!
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    14 Jun '20 15:49
    @shallow-blue said
    That's racist!
    Well, technically speaking it's spacist, but you're on the right track.
    It's basically the same thing.
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    15 Jun '20 21:54
    @venda said
    1."Very close" is still a hell of a way in astronomical terms. I agree that there could be millions of other life forms in the universe.
    2 and 3. I agree that our dna could have arrived via a meteor or something but I think it extremely unlikely to have developed in a similar way from the primordial soup in 2 different environments.
    4. A lot of things were considered to be "e ...[text shortened]... travel has not been proved to break the laws of the universe.The last I read the jury was still out.
    If time travel is possible, then traveling close to light speed should be a piece of cake.
    Even FTL travel thru hyperspace might also be possible. But we don't necessarily need such advanced tech to explain our alien neighbors, who may have set foot on Earth long before us humans made the first wheel. There's many plausible theories about this, and we may never know the whole truth.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    16 Jun '20 12:55
    @bunnyknight said
    If time travel is possible, then traveling close to light speed should be a piece of cake.
    Even FTL travel thru hyperspace might also be possible. But we don't necessarily need such advanced tech to explain our alien neighbors, who may have set foot on Earth long before us humans made the first wheel. There's many plausible theories about this, and we may never know the whole truth.
    Another plausible theory concerning the unexplained things found on Earth(I assume you're referring to the cave drawings and such)is that a previous advanced civilization on Earth was wiped out leaving little evidence of their existence.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Jun '20 14:08
    Remember crop circles?
  9. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    16 Jun '20 17:07
    @venda said
    Another plausible theory concerning the unexplained things found on Earth(I assume you're referring to the cave drawings and such)is that a previous advanced civilization on Earth was wiped out leaving little evidence of their existence.
    Indeed there are lots of unexplained clues from our distant past. Even the famous Bible describes how some frightened guy witnessed God come down to Earth in a huge metal bird with metal legs on wheels, while emitting a sound of a hundred waterfalls.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Jun '20 20:30
    @bunnyknight said
    There's many plausible theories, at least to someone who ignores petty details of physical and engineering limitations, however none of them have a shred of reproducible evidence supporting them. There are invariably alternate, but boringly mundane except to physicists and engineers, explanations for these things.
  11. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    17 Jun '20 01:021 edit
    @deepthought said
    There's many plausible theories, at least to someone who ignores petty details of physical and engineering limitations, however none of them have a shred of reproducible evidence supporting them. There are invariably alternate, but boringly mundane except to physicists and engineers, explanations for these things.
    So you would agree that if FTL travel was impossible, then time travel would be even more impossible? Is near-light-speed also impossible, or less impossible than the above?
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    17 Jun '20 19:19
    @kewpie said
    Remember crop circles?
    Yes, and the Cottingly faries
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    17 Jun '20 23:02
    @kewpie said
    Remember crop circles?
    yes, and in England they absolutely from aliens.. They have the math for PI, and maps representing our solar system.. !
  14. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 02:00
    @venda said
    I'm sure I've voiced this opinion before but I can't remember which forum it was so I'll pose the questions and my beliefs again:-
    1. IF aliens had the techology to travel thro' space why would they pick on an insignificant planet orbiting an insignificant star in one of billions of galaxies?.
    2. WHY do all the "alien" sightings consist of beings veryt similar to the human fo ...[text shortened]... back in time.
    They only have to work out how to do it and dodge the "grandmother paradox" somehow.
    Following your hypothetical:

1. Maybe Earth and humans are not insignificant.
    2. Maybe the 2 races are related.
    3. In this hypothetical, the aliens have superior technology so presumably they have been evolving on another planet way longer than we have here. See answer #2
  15. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 04:31
    @deepthought said
    if a person travels thru time, must he travel any distance, too? What's wrong with staying exactly in one place, but gaining or losing time? without moving any distance, at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree