1. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 17:16
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Well,I respect all of you guys for voluntering,but I guess that it would be better to have some very high-rated players to do this job,which is very delicate and can involve a level play of 2000+ (not all cheats are 1500-1600).
    However it's good that there are already five volunteers right now,it means that people cares about this problem.
    I agree. The volunteers should be strong players who should preferably have experience of OTB chess and a good knowledge of chess programs such as Fritz, Shredder, Junior, Hiarcs, Chessmaster.

Therefore I will add my name to the list:-

Starrman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
    NicolaiS
    ouroboros
    David Tebb

2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 17:21
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Well,I respect all of you guys for voluntering,but I guess that it would be better to have some very high-rated players to do this job,which is very delicate and can involve a level play of 2000+ (not all cheats are 1500-1600).
    However it's good that there are already five volunteers right now,it means that people cares about this problem.
    That's not always possible, the higher rated guys want to concentrate more on their games than worry about cheaters.
    It would be better definately...

Alot of the times the cheaters just play multiple accounts against each other (although that is not easy anymore, but it can still happen) then you don't need high rated players to see it and do something about it.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 17:29
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    I agree. The volunteers should be strong players who should preferably have experience of OTB chess and a good knowledge of chess programs such as Fritz, Shredder, Junior, Hiarcs, Chessmaster.

Therefore I will add my name to the list:-

Starrman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
    NicolaiS
    ouroboros
    David Tebb

Wow, this post is about as exciting as when the Sox got Schilling!

P-
  4. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 17:36
    I'm with Ravello on this one: I have neither the required level of skill nor the required free time. However I do have a huge "thanks" to give to everyone who is prepared to take this task on.
  5. Internet
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 17:38
    Originally posted by Crowley
    That's not always possible, the higher rated guys want to concentrate more on their games than worry about cheaters.
    Well, David Tebb (currently ranked 4 @ 2200+) has already volunteered. That's a good start!
  6. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 17:40
    Originally posted by Crowley

Alot of the times the cheaters just play multiple accounts against each other (although that is not easy anymore, but it can still happen) then you don't need high rated players to see it and do something about it.
    Yes,but here we are talking about players using chess engines to do their moves,which is far more difficult to detect.
    I agree on the fact that even a guy rated 800 could spot 30 games with 0 moves resignations played against a dummy account,but we want to prevent the more sophisticated forms of cheating like the ones questioned in these days.
  7. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 17:53
    Regarding the ratings question: I think a broad mix of ratings would be helpful, for the following reasons:

1. Representativeness/credibility: it would be good for people with lower ratings to feel they have representation in this community-wide problem.
    2. Chess skill isn't the only, or the most important, skill that is implicated by this task. Other skills that are equally important would seem to be:
    a) Commitment and time availability;
    b) Individual credibility with the community;
    c) Absence of bias;
    d) General reasoning/analytic ability, including evaluating and weighing evidence and credibility;
    e) Advocacy ability for the position one arrives at;
    f) Possession of/familiarity with various software;
    g) Special skills in investigation/witness questioning; and
    h) Policy analysis ability.

I note, for example, that Russ mentioned that the first task would be to determine the sanction for cheating. That task has a lot more to do with ability to balance concepts of justice and fairness with community and site interests than with chess-playing skill.

The only task where high-skilled players would have a significant advantage would be in simple analysis of move choices and determination as to whether those choices are characteristic of computer-assisted play. In that task, it is both appropriate and predictable that high-skilled players' opinions would be given greater weight in discussions and eventual decisions. David Tebb's opinion that someone's play is consistent with their demonstrated skill level and inconsistent with a computer is probably worth three opinions to the contrary from lesser players, and should be treated as such. That doesn't mean the lesser players should be excluded -- just that the greater players definitely should be included as well.

Other types of evidence -- ie. rating patterns, incriminating statements, many moves that exactly match those of a popular engine -- would be evaluated just as well by a 1000 player as a 2000 player.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 18:00
    Thanks to everyone for volunteering their time and HUGE thanks to Russ for bringing this issue to the forefront. Thanks Big Man!
  9. Joined
    26 Dec '03
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 18:01
    Starrman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
    NicolaiS
    ouroboros
    David Tebb
    Grayeyesofsorrow

While my RHP rating isnt that impressive I have a fide rating over 2100 and a good understanding of computer chess.
  10. Standard membertejo
    a unique loser
    LIAAA
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 18:24
    Starrman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
    NicolaiS
    ouroboros
    David Tebb
    Grayeyesofsorrow
    tejo

I am willing to do this, if it is requested.
  11. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 19:10
    Starrman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
    NicolaiS
    ouroboros
    David Tebb
    Grayeyesofsorrow
    tejo
    trekkie
  12. Standard membergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 19:18
    Very good idea Russ.
  13. Joined
    11 Jul '03
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 19:28
    Good idea. But I also think that this job should be done by experienced & unbiased players. From the current list only David Tebb & Tejo are up for the job in my view.
  14. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 19:31
    Originally posted by gumbie
    Very good idea Russ.
    Well,I like to think that this idea was brought up in the thread ''Ideas for dealing with engines'' which was started to find a suitable solution to the problem.http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=16313
    Solution finally has been find!
  15. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 20:18
    I am not playing much recently, but I am willing to devote some time and effort to this. I am concerned for both sides of the problem, especially giving the fact that this is a correspondence-only site.

Starrman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
    NicolaiS
    ouroboros
    David Tebb
    Grayeyesofsorrow
    tejo
    trekkie
    Mephisto2

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree