1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 15:441 edit
    Now leagues are underway, next on the hit list is to combat increased concerns that some individuals are cheating. This is not an easy thing to prove, but people have produced fairly conclusive evidence in the past. Currently though, there is no process for dealing with suspect cheats.

So, what I am proposing to do is introduce 'game moderators'. I am hoping to form a team of respected players here who can spare some time to investigate any suspicious 'over the board' activities...

I will be creating a private forum for game moderators where any evidence can be discussed and a decision reached. (In private)

The decision on the final team will probably be quite contentious, so if you are interested, please put your name down in this thread. (Copy any previous volunteer's names into your post, add your name to the bottom of the list, and then submit the post.)

I will hold a subscriber only vote where you can choose who will be a game moderator out of the volunteers (I was going to implement voting anyway, but as I now have yet another need for it, I will make it a priority.)

The penalties for those judged to be cheating would be one of the first things discussed.

Let me know your thoughts on this anyway, and please let me know if you feel you can help.

-Russ
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:00
    Well, I'll gladly be on the list, always more than happy to see fair play proceed and cheating stamped out. I think you might remember I've sent you a few PMs in the past about this issue Russ, so let me know if I can help more.

3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:02
    Start of list :

Starrman
  4. London
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:03
    Originally posted by Russ
    Now leagues are underway, next on the hit list is to combat increased concerns that some individuals are cheating. This is not an easy thing to prove, but people have produced fairly conclusive evidence in the past. Currently though, there is no process for dealing with suspect cheats.

So, what I am proposing to do is introduce 'game moderators'. I am h ...[text shortened]... me know your thoughts on this anyway, and please let me know if you feel you can help.

-Russ
    I'd love (?) to volunteer for this, but:

1. I don't think I'm a "respected" player here (yet). However, no one's ever accused me of cheating (yet).
    2. I only have some rather simple chess programs (Winboard, Fritz for Fun/Fritz 6?) on my computer, so I'm not sure I have the necessary infrastructure to investigate possible violations. (I might get Fritz 8 post-Christmas, though).
    3. I'm not that good a player that I can identify computer use by just looking through a game.

That said, I do have the time and energy to spare (as much as these count). So, I'll add my name to the list:

* lucifershammer
  5. London
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:04
    Originally posted by Russ
    Start of list :

Starrman
    lucifershammer
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:04

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:083 edits
    Subject to the same caveats as lucifershammer, I'm happy to volunteer.

I do note, however, that although my chess skills aren't sufficient to recognize cheating, I do posess a high level of skill in investigating and proving charges, as well as in questioning accusers and accused...
  8. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:09
    Starrman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
  9. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:21
    Originally posted by paultopia
    Starrman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
    As I have discussed fighting cheaters in a discussion with Phlab I feel a need to volunteer for this position. But ... I do not have the skill to recognize otb if a player is using an engine. I will buy me Fritz 8 or any other necessary program that would be of help in fighting this problem. I will put myself on the list:

Starrman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
    NicolaiS
  10. Standard memberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:33
    Starrman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
    NicolaiS
    ouroboros
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:55
    Well,I respect all of you guys for voluntering,but I guess that it would be better to have some very high-rated players to do this job,which is very delicate and can involve a level play of 2000+ (not all cheats are 1500-1600).
    However it's good that there are already five volunteers right now,it means that people cares about this problem.
  12. London
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:55
    we normal subscribers who do not become moderators be able to join in the discussion about punishments as i feel that everyone should have a say in what they feel the punishments should be.

freddie
  13. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 17:03
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Well,I respect all of you guys for voluntering,but I guess that it would be better to have some very high-rated players to do this job,which is very delicate and can involve a level play of 2000+ (not all cheats are 1500-1600).
    However it's good that there are already five volunteers right now,it means that people cares about this problem.
    I think the idea would be that some people analyse suspected games using software while some strong players give their opinions based on their chess know how. This is all of course yet to be decided, but I don't think it excludes sub 2000 players from the group.

Personally I'd love to be a part of it, but I know I don't have the chessability, or the software, or the time. Good luck to those that do πŸ™‚
  14. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 17:07
    Originally posted by Freddie20044
    we normal subscribers who do not become moderators be able to join in the discussion about punishments as i feel that everyone should have a say in what they feel the punishments should be.

freddie
    I agree. Although the final decision will probably be taken by the mod group (and the final final OK given by Russ) I'd like to see the proposals for the process of identifying/reporting suspect games/users, analysing the suspect, and what penalties should be awarded (eg. 1200 rating)
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 17:071 edit
    I'm guessing that part of this job may be investigating complaints and suggestions provided by other players, once identified, these can probably be dealt with both by communication with other players/moderators, examining game histories/patterns etc. and the use of software.

There are also other potential cheating methods which require identification, not through level of chess play, but through course of action, ie: game fraud for ratings etc.

There may be further actions that require investigation such as subscription issues, multiple accounts etc.

I don't know exactly what Russ has planned, but I think there should be a wide range of people of differing levels, with different skills in investigation to best combat cheating on numerous levels.

Just my two cents πŸ™‚

EDIT: P.S. Russ could we call it The Brain Police? πŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree