* Game moderators - the cheat police

* Game moderators - the cheat police

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
05 Dec 04

Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
I guess the cheat police is a good idee as long as they are very carefull in their work. But who will see to it that the members of the cheat police themselves don't cheat???

Maybe making 2 diferent teams that check each other would be a good idee???
I think it should be people that are trusted and known to be good players in real life. The idea of the cheat police cheating could then be sidestepped.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
05 Dec 04

I guess the cheat police is a good idee as long as they are very carefull in their work. But who will see to it that the members of the cheat police themselves don't cheat???

Maybe making 2 diferent teams that check each other would be a good idee???
Yeah,sure,we make the team which monitors the cheats,the team that monitors the team which monitors the cheats,then we create another team that controls the team that monitors the team which monitors the cheats........................

L

Moves
05 Dec 04

Originally posted by Ravello
Yeah,sure,we make the team which monitors the cheats,the team that monitors the team which monitors the cheats,then we create another team that controls the team that monitors the team which monitors the cheats........................

No of course not, these teams will monitor each other and together they will monitor the rest if the site's people.
I mean if no one is going to monitor the people in the cheat police then the first thing a cheater is going to do is join the cheat police right?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
05 Dec 04

No of course not, these teams will monitor each other and together they will monitor the rest if the site's people.
I mean if no one is going to monitor the people in the cheat police then the first thing a cheater is going to do is join the cheat police right?
Surely the cheat police will monitor the cheat police???

If there is a cheater on the cheat police, the only difference between him/her and another user would be that he could see straight away that s/he had been accused. Everything else would be exactly the same. I don't see why the processes would change.

D

ck

Tempe, AZ

Moves
05 Dec 04

i am wondering. what if someone accuses someone for the fun of it? and are non-subscribers allowed to accuse?

m
Moo

UK

Moves
05 Dec 04

Originally posted by chess kid1
i am wondering. what if someone accuses someone for the fun of it? and are non-subscribers allowed to accuse?
I imagine that policy decisions are likely to be discussed once the group is formed.

And yes, I don't see as anyone in the "police" is any different to anyone else when it comes to being policed, being as surely it is a reactionary force (used when someone alleges cheating) than a proactive (monitoring) force.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
05 Dec 04

Originally posted by mrmist
I imagine that policy decisions are likely to be discussed once the group is formed.

And yes, I don't see as anyone in the "police" is any different to anyone else when it comes to being policed, being as surely it is a reactionary force (used when someone alleges cheating) than a proactive (monitoring) force.
That's right. Everyone can and should be part of the monitoring force.

No-one wants vigilantes, but there's no harm in vigilance.

S
Shut Gorohoviy!

Moves
06 Dec 04

Starrman
Lucifershammer
Paultopia
NicolaiS
ouroboros
David Tebb
Grayeyesofsorrow
tejo
trekkie
Mephisto2
mrmist
Marinakatomb
TimmyToilet
TRACKHEAD21
Crowley
chess kid1
Ragnorak
cbd
TheMaster37
SirUlrich
SteveC
arrakis
Phlabibit
rapalla7
Gatecrasher
Cheshire Cat
SirLoseALot

I have thought long about this.Still some doubts,to be honest,not sure how accusations will be handled.Which system will be used to reach a final result.But if I can agree with the system chosen,I'd be happy to help,if I get selected.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
06 Dec 04

Originally posted by chess kid1
This should not be a problem, and I am sure anyone can report cheating. I think a quick glance should tell if someone needs a little looking into.

Once a little looking into is done, a lot of looking into will follow (it would only go that far if the player was suspect). If the team is big enough each of these members could start an engine and throw the info in for all the CP's to look at.

I'm not 100% sure it will be as simple as I say, but I think the system is worth getting going soon. I was thinking the CP should be a small team, but now after that thinking perhaps there should be a large team where lots of info is shared.

Will be interesting to see how it goes, but I don't think this will be a failed project.

P-

t

Moves
06 Dec 04

so does that mean us non-subscribers can be a cheat police?

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
06 Dec 04

No.

E
Damn fine Clan!

The Double R Diner

Moves
06 Dec 04
3 edits

It has been suggested that the "Cheat Police" are not going to be subjective but that they are simply going to run suspected games through analysis to see if they match up.

How about this for an idea - in future any new unsubsribed member has to play at least 20 games to get a non-provisional rating before being invited to subscribe. These 20 games are then run through for analysis and the person's subscription is only allowed to go forward if these 20 test games are pukka.

I know this won't stop people from cheating once they've subscribed but it may well discourage the vast majority of potential cheats from signing up in the first place.

G

Moves
06 Dec 04

It can some quite a lot of time to check games, checking every new person on the site would be a nightmareish job.

A lot of people we know about havent used the engine in their first games, only turned to it when their ratings drop below 1100 :-)

I think the people who are more intresting are those who did use an engine for those 20 games and are thought to be great players on this site, but in reality their moves match up 100% to fritz.

JD

Moves
06 Dec 04

Originally posted by !~TONY~!
I think it should be people that are trusted and known to be good players in real life. The idea of the cheat police cheating could then be sidestepped.
I like this idea and also think it would prevent rogue applications.
Even if a players real identity and chess credentials are only verified by Russ.

If someone is willing to prove their credentials in this way, then I say it is fair to assume they would take the responsibility of arbiter seriously.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
06 Dec 04

Just some thoughts...

To be effective, I think Game moderators must react to complaints, not initiate which hunts. It cannot be an isolated game, or an isolated complaint.

Maybe a good way of doing it is, in each case, for the chairperson to assign one moderator as "prosecutor" and one as "defender". Both can use other moderators to "obtain" evidence.

Once all evidence has been posted, the chairman calls a vote. All moderators can vote. I think you would need a higher percentage of votes for a "guilty" verdict, say 66% or 75%.

The results can then be sent through to Russ. Ultimately, he is the one who administers "justice".