* Game moderators - the cheat police

* Game moderators - the cheat police

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
06 Dec 04
1 edit

Just so you all know, I have had a small flood of confessions since this thread started, so there has been a positive effect already.

I will try to get the tools required for this project implemented as soon as possible, but I do have a few other commitments in the coming days.

-Russ

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
06 Dec 04

Originally posted by Russ
Just so you all know, I have had a small flood of confessions since this thread started, so there has been a positive effect already.

I will try to get the tools required for this project implemented as soon as possible, but I do have a few other commitments in the coming days.

-Russ
Do you have any plan to deal with these users that violated the trust of the good people here at RHP?

It makes me wonder if these users feel bad for what they did, or feel bad cuz they were going to be caught. Or even feel bad at all.

P-

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
06 Dec 04

-Russ
I was thinking what might be able to help the team.

I don't know how you retrieve ips, but it would be great if you could run a process, which automatically checks whether there are 2 accounts with the same IP address. Obviously, you wouldn't reveal to the team the IP, just the accounts. Then they could be further investigated to see if one of the accounts is being used to boost the other account's rating, or whether its just a couple people using the same pc.

Also, it would be good if the team had access to a report showing people who have played a lot of games against a specific opponent. Like Player A plays Player B 50 times. I know that this doesn't mean that they are cheating, but it would be quite easy to flick through this report and see if all the games were fools mates or resignations to 1 party. Would be good to show players' names, games played, games won by player A, lost by Player A. I know its possible to see these things already, but it would be good to have a succint report to assist the team.

Just some ideas, which might help the police.

D

m
Moo

UK

Moves
06 Dec 04

Originally posted by Ragnorak

I don't know how you retrieve ips, but it would be great if you could run a process, which automatically checks whether there are 2 accounts with the same IP address. ...
With dynamic IP it's perfectly possible for more than one person to share an IP over time, mind...

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
06 Dec 04

A 'small flood' is an exaggeration. But, some people have come forward. And most have been shown the door (as they expected to be.)

-Russ

JD

Moves
06 Dec 04
2 edits

I don't know how you retrieve ips, but it would be great if you could run a process, which automatically checks whether there are 2 accounts with the same IP address. Obviously, you ...[text shortened]... t the team.

Just some ideas, which might help the police.

D
Just google for 'anonymizer' - sufficient to circumvent any simple IP checks.
However a table of most frequent opponents would be useful, at least it would make cheating more laborious.

(Oh yeah, jftr I don't think moderators or arbiters should ever get to see real IP addresses).

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
06 Dec 04

Don't worry, IP address are considered private (and personal) information. They are not revealed to anyone.

They are not very useful anyway - AOL in particular seem to rotate their IP addresses among quite a few users here - you would be amazed who gets lumped together sometimes.

-Russ

Moves
06 Dec 04

Starrman
Lucifershammer
Paultopia
NicolaiS
ouroboros
David Tebb
Grayeyesofsorrow
tejo
trekkie
Mephisto2
mrmist
Marinakatomb
TimmyToilet
TRACKHEAD21
Crowley
chess kid1
Ragnorak
cbd
TheMaster37
SirUlrich
SteveC
arrakis
Phlabibit
rapalla7
Gatecrasher
Cheshire Cat
SirLoseALot
Zumdahl

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
06 Dec 04

Originally posted by John Dalmas
(Oh yeah, jftr I don't think moderators or arbiters should ever get to see real IP addresses).
I agree completely, that's why I said in my post: 'Obviously, you wouldn't reveal to the team the IP, just the accounts.'

I didn't realise that it would be so useless to run that check though.

D

S
Shut Gorohoviy!

Moves
07 Dec 04

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
Just some thoughts...

To be effective, I think Game moderators must react to complaints, not initiate which hunts. It cannot be an isolated game, or an isolated complaint.

Maybe a good way of doing it is, in each case, for the chairperson to assign one moderator as "prosecutor" and one as "defender". Both can use other moderators to "obtain" ...[text shortened]... sults can then be sent through to Russ. Ultimately, he is the one who administers "justice".
I think all should be "defenders".Investigate the games,try to prove the accused is NOT using an engine.If none finds proof,the verdict is reached,no voting needed.We're talking banning players here,60-70% agreement is not enough.It must be absolutely certain!

For the rest,I agree with you.

G

Moves
07 Dec 04

Originally posted by SirLoseALot
I think all should be "defenders".Investigate the games,try to prove the accused is NOT using an engine.If none finds proof,the verdict is reached,no voting needed.We're talking banning players here,60-70% agreement is not enough.It must be absolutely certain!

I agree, the best way to work is just to suspect the person of using an engine and then try to disprove it, instead of trying to prove it.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
07 Dec 04

Originally posted by SirLoseALot

I would think in most cases, the evidence would be clearcut and decision unanimous.

But I do think that evidence is always subjective in how it is selected. The use of an engine may be sporadic, thus it would be very easy to find games that point to innocence. For that reason, moderators need to see both sides of the coin, before making an objective decision.

You need a Devil's Advocate who backs up the complaint with evidence. Of course, if no evidence is found, case dismissed.

Sure, everyone else can be a defender, but both arguments have to be rigourously presented. That is the best way of avoiding any injustice, both to the Suspects and to everyone else at RHP.

T
Kupikupopo!

Out of my mind

Moves
07 Dec 04

Don't worry, IP address are considered private (and personal) information. They are not revealed to anyone.

They are not very useful anyway - AOL in particular seem to rotate their IP addresses among quite a few users here - you would be amazed who gets lumped together sometimes.

-Russ
AOL is the nastiest when banning IP's...but unfortunately there are other prvoders who do that as well. Makes moderating a little more cumbersome (I moderate on another site).

On that site we invented range bans 🙂 It seems that the IP's given to a person don't vary too much. But the risk of banning an innocent along with a troublemaker is still there. Range ban, then release the ban after a while. The troublemaker will have left, and the non-troublemakers will try again eventually.

T
Total Domination

Wilmington, NC

Moves
07 Dec 04

I agree completely, that's why I said in my post: 'Obviously, you wouldn't reveal to the team the IP, just the accounts.'

I didn't realise that it would be so useless to run that check though.

D
Not sure how many people still use dial-up but for those people it would be pointless as their IP varies across a range of different addresses. Icould sign in today and be on an IP you used yesterday if we are both using the same service. This check would only be effective for broadband users and alot of those services even offer you more than one IP for a little extra money. I think mine offers like 6 additional IPs.

T

Moves
07 Dec 04

Static IP service costs additional money. Most people have dynamic IP even with broadband.