1. Joined
    25 Feb '04
    Moves
    31 Dec '04 15:03
    oooooohhh it's a minefield, lol, anyone wish this can of worms had not been opened, yes ?, no ?, well there's plenty of time yet :-)

FGWE
  2. UK
    Moves
    31 Dec '04 15:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I consider a "no opinion" vote as a null;
    But it's not though. Not voting is a null. A no opinion vote can mean exactly that, or it could mean that someone is undecided about the whole concept, but not strongly enough in either direction to vote yes or no.

The vote is 90 odd % in favour of the police, but since only one hundred and something people have voted how representative is it of the whole populace?

Does the fact that only one hundred odd people have voted mean that they don't care less about cheating, or that they would like to see the police, or that they don't know about the vote?

Probably the later, to be honest.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Dec '04 17:12
    Originally posted by mrmist
    But it's not though. Not voting is a null. A no opinion vote can mean exactly that, or it could mean that someone is undecided about the whole concept, but not strongly enough in either direction to vote yes or no.

The vote is 90 odd % in favour of the police, but since only one hundred and something people have voted how representative is it of the whol ...[text shortened]... to see the police, or that they don't know about the vote?

Here's what Russ said on December 1 in the first post of this thread:

So, what I am proposing to do is introduce 'game moderators'. I am hoping to form a team of respected players here who can spare some time to investigate any suspicious 'over the board' activities...

I would think that those who are opposed to the site admins proposal for the "cheat police" would have an obligation to make there opposition known, not those who support the concept. 90% of those who stated a preference think it is necessary and desirable to take this step. As I said before, if we waited for the majority of subscribers to vote on ANYTHING before the site admins made improvements we'd NEVER get any of 'em: no tournaments, clans, clan leagues, etc. etc. etc. Most people on the site either are unconcerned or lazy or trust Russ to do the right thing or perhaps feel that the overwhelming nature of the vote so far is proof that sentiment runs high to lessen cheating and their vote is unnecessary. In any case, Russ asked those interested to express their sentiment and they have overwhelmingly so I think we should get on with it.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    31 Dec '04 18:30

The vote is 90 odd % in favour of the police, but since only one hundred and something people have voted how representative is it of the whol ...[text shortened]... to see the police, or that they don't know about the vote?

We've had more than 100 votes, and the numbers have been hanging at about 82% for most of the time.

Do you really think that if EVERY user at RHP were to vote this number might somehow change to 20%? I think it is a good reflection of the actual percentage of people at RHP on a whole that would stand behind this idea.

P-
  5. UK
    Moves
    31 Dec '04 18:49
    Yes that is fair enough. I was just saying really that "no opinion" in the poll really can't mean that. After all, someone with no opinion can just not vote.

Even with the no opinions though the vote is still in favour, so yes, it should perhaps move forward now?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Dec '04 19:03
    Yes that is fair enough. I was just saying really that "no opinion" in the poll really can't mean that. After all, someone with no opinion can just not vote.

Even with the no opinions though the vote is still in favour, so yes, it should perhaps move forward now?
    Or they could vote for "I have no opinion" which is how the poll answer was worded. In essense, you're saying they lied or were mistaken about having "no opinion" - I say we should take 'em at their word. It is, of course, a moot point as the vote is overwhelming either way.
  7. UK
    Moves
    31 Dec '04 19:11
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Or they could vote for "I have no opinion" which is how the poll answer was worded. In essense, you're saying they lied or were mistaken about having "no opinion" - I say we should take 'em at their word. It is, of course, a moot point as the vote is overwhelming either way.
    Probably.

I voted no opinion because I am not totally convinced one way or the other.

8. Standard memberDeepfault
    Devil's Advocate
    On the Fence
    Moves
    02 Jan '05 19:25
    I did not know that the voting thing existed apart from via this thread. I doubt if ninety percent of the community even knows they can voice an opinion. Therefore most people who voted are those who participate in this debate and most of those are for the cheat police.

If you want a true opinion poll put a link on everybodies game list page.

I have not voted yes or no.

I refuse to vote yes for a scheme in which though there has been a lot of speculation as yet no firm description of how it will work has been published. This is like voting for a policy as outlined by the tabloids or voting for something in princible when in practice it is impossible, unworkable or destroys more good than the bad it is attempting to address. Like voting for ID cards in the UK without thinking it through.

I refuse to vote no because some form of system is obviously needed to address such deep passion about the issue and because something needs to be seen to be done even if in practice not a lot is actually done.

Voting I dont know is pointless and you might as well not vote.

This issue is a minefield but there is always a path through every minefield without blowing your own leg off. I would guess the next stage is to publish the scheme or the proposed scheme as fact not speculation and then see how the community take it via opinion poll systems they actually know exists.

Alternatively we could discuss the finer details forever as this is an interested thread to follow, I am sure the perfect scheme will emerge eventually with so many fine minds designing it. Design by committee has given us many great successes in the past.

😉
  9. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jan '05 19:31
    I think it's going to go ahead anyway - the most important votes are the ones to come which decide who the Game Mods will be, this I hope everyone votes on and does their research well first.
  10. Steelers Country
    Moves
    03 Jan '05 04:44
    Originally posted by Deepfault

I have not voted yes or no.......

....Voting I dont know is pointless and you might as well not vote.

How dare you, Voteing is you duty and right to your country, if you dont vote you are un-patriotic!😉😵

just kiddin
    Adam
  11. Tempe, AZ
    Moves
    05 Jan '05 15:17
    sorry everyone but I do not have the time to be a cheat police. It also seems I do not have all of the engines el bruto mentioned.
    Starman
    Lucifershammer
    Paultopia
    Nicolai's
    ouroboros
    David Tebb
    Grayeyesofsorrow
    Trekkie
    Mephisto2
    mrmist
    Marinakatomb
    Timmy Toilet
    TRACKHEAD 21
    Crowley
    Ragnorak
    cbd
    The Master 37
    SirUlrich
    SteveC
    Arrakis
    Phlabibit
    Rapalla7
    Gatecrasher
    Cheshire Cat
    SirLoseAlot
    Zumdahl
    Forevergreenwithenvy
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Jan '05 15:21
    Voting has begun.

-Russ
  13. London
    Moves
    05 Jan '05 15:26
    Originally posted by Russ
    Voting has begun.

-Russ
    can we get Russ moderated for posting the same post in multiple forums 😉 lol

fred

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree