* Game moderators - the cheat police

* Game moderators - the cheat police

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
24 Dec 04
1 edit

Originally posted by Grayeyesofsorrow
I thought I sent you a message. Im getting slow :-(

Its Hiarcs or something very close to it.
one of us is developing alzheimers ... just wonder which one .... now where were we? ahh has anyone ever tried seeing if dscp matches up to the moves of an engine?

G

Moves
24 Dec 04

Originally posted by flexmore
one of us is developing alzheimers ... just wonder which one .... now where were we? ahh has anyone ever tried seeing if dscp matches up to the moves of an engine?
Its probably me :-)

He has a certain level of dodginess next to any engine, but the key moves match Hiarcs.

I did a years worth of programing when I was back in college. I dont think it would be that hard to put together. All the hard work is done in creating a good chess engine. Im not sure about the very odd games like that knight move one, odd! I also havent looked at his early losses, he might have changed engines every now and again, he was certainly upgrading it since he did get better as time went on.

D
Lord of Rock

Somewhere near

Moves
24 Dec 04

Freddie2004, can you please move in our games?

Moves
24 Dec 04

Originally posted by skeeter
It's my contention that the "cheat moderators" will have no teeth at all, given admins reluctance to revoke JW's membership despite the overwhelming evidence that he employs software engines to play his RHP matches.
skeeter
Can someone answer this question because I too would like to know why something has not been done yet. I noticed that an entry followed by a withdrawal was made from the 2005 championship. Does this have anything to do with it?

Has any warning been sent?
Has there been a discussion between the admins re. this?

I'm sure that most will agree that this is the most obvious case on the site apart from the confessors.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Dec 04

Originally posted by Grandmaster bater
Can someone answer this question because I too would like to know why something has not been done yet. I noticed that an entry followed by a withdrawal was made from the 2005 championship. Does this have anything to do with it?
From page 23
http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=16944&page=23
'I am behind on the posts in the thread now, but I just wanted to say I have prototyped my first game mod tool, and I am now running it against some known (banned) cheaters, a suspected cheater (I wonder who that could be....), and anyone else I care to try it on.

Anyway, let me say this...I could be making an executive decision and removing someone from the site prior to the introduction of game mods. No prizes for guessing...

-Russ '

From...
http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=17570

'I will ask JW to withdraw from all tournaments pending the introduction of game mods.

-Russ'

D

ck

Tempe, AZ

Moves
28 Dec 04

When should the cheat police start. And I am also wondering if anyone has any objections to me being a cheat police.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
28 Dec 04

Originally posted by chess kid1
When should the cheat police start. And I am also wondering if anyone has any objections to me being a cheat police.
Me.
Being in the cheat police requires a very good chess and analzing skills as it will involve a 2000+ level of play.

EB

Moves
28 Dec 04

Important !!
If someone want enter in the "police" MUST (It's a Must!!!) have all this engines;
Fritz6 and 7
Deep Fritz 7
Fritz8
Deep Fritz8
Junior 7 ( very aggressive engine )
Junior 8
Deep Junior 8 and 9 !!
Hiarcs8 and 9
Shredder 7.04 and 8 ( the difference is very big )
Chess Tiger 15
Gambit Tiger
Rebel 12
Gandalf ( windbord and professional )
Nimzo
Chessmaster 9 / 10
Deep Sjeng professional
Deep Sjeng 1.5 ( winbord )
Yace
Wild Cat 3
Crafty and Comet last vertion and other Arena winbord......
I forget.... pardon SOS , Phalanx, Ikarus, Patzer, Anmon .......
That's OK
Now I say ( to ALL! )
If a chess cheater use an engine and you want discover him... you must find the engine that he use.....of course!!!
If you haven't ALL you can't discover with 100%, so the new police corp
need :
Only strong player with tournament board experience, all this engines and a lot of free-time.
If there aren't 5 or more of this ( only of this kind are required)players
Whitout them Police is dead before start!!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Dec 04

Originally posted by El Bruto
Important !!
If someone want enter in the "police" MUST (It's a Must!!!) have all this engines;
Fritz6 and 7
Deep Fritz 7
Fritz8
Deep Fritz8
Junior 7 ( very aggressive engine )
Junior 8
Deep Junior 8 and 9 !!
Hiarcs8 and 9
Shredder 7.04 and 8 ( the difference is very big )
Chess Tiger 15
Gambit Tiger
Rebel 12
Gandalf ( windbord and profe ...[text shortened]... f this ( only of this kind are required)players
We've heard your song and dance before; you're against the cheat police, period. Well 90% of the site and the site admins disagree with you so they're coming. Deal with it.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
28 Dec 04

Important !!
Only strong player with tournament board experience, all this engines and a lot of free-time.
If there aren't 5 or more of this ( only of this kind are required)players
Why is it a must? Let's say we only have five of those engines?
Then the Cheat Police can only catch those people using those
engines.

The more engines they have, the better they will be at doing their
job, certainly. But it's not like they can't do a partial job well with
only a few engines.

Nemesio

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
29 Dec 04
4 edits

elbruto moves towards an important point .... the cheat police must aim for a very high degree of agreement with an engine.

i suggest they will need to break games into a few phases .... as traditionally!!!

opening .... ANY player, engine or human, can use any opening book, so this entire phase must be discarded, to include the opening in the analysis only destroys the accuracy of the important move-matches and lets engines off the hook while detecting humans using the same book as the cheat police.

nonmating middle game ... for these moves a very high accuracy of match will be required .... tricky engine users will simply swap engines and/or make a human move or two (using an engine to check that it is safe enough of course).

nonmating endgame ... here some positions will seem to allow computers to be detected, they can mess up some very simple games that no strong human player would.

mating stage .... this has now extended hundreds of moves back into the endgame stage for many positions, and depends more on the table used than the engine used. i am not familiar with the ability of genuine human players to use these databases in their games and defer to players who do use these "endgame tables and databases".

oh and greyeyes: did you ever try running dscp's games?

G

Moves
29 Dec 04

dscp's ? 😕

TSD
The 3rd Coming

London

Moves
29 Dec 04

Important !!
If someone want enter in the "police" MUST (It's a Must!!!) have all this engines; ...
If you haven't ALL you can't discover with 100%, ...
Following this argument we shouldn't have civilian police, as they can't guarantee 100% success either.

Most of the benefit from any policing activity is its deterrent effect: after catching blatent cheaters the most we can do is make is so difficult, to cheat, that it becomes easier for them to play it straight.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
29 Dec 04

Originally posted by The Swine Down Hope
Following this argument we shouldn't have civilian police, as they can't guarantee 100% success either.

Most of the benefit from any policing activity is its deterrent effect: after catching blatent cheaters the most we can do is make is so difficult, to cheat, that it becomes easier for them to play it straight.
Here, here.

Even if the cheat police can only dispense of the JWs and Tlais of this world and the flood of other users who have left the site because of fear of getting caught, then it will have served a small purpose. Besides showing potential cheaters that there is a distinct policy against cheaters on this site, which should attract more honest players.

D

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
29 Dec 04

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Here, here.

Even if the cheat police can only dispense of the JWs and Tlais of this world and the flood of other users who have left the site because of fear of getting caught, then it will have served a small purpose. Besides showing potential cheaters that there is a distinct policy against cheaters on this site, which should attract more honest players.

D
does "the flood of other users who have left the site because of fear of getting caught" include many human players?

this is a difficult question to answer ... but should we lose 5 good humanplayers just to get rid of 5 computers?

this is a delicate matter, it needs to be done well.

it needs to be done, but it needs to be done carefully.

many people have an internet prescence on more than just this site, to have their reputation ruined by an error on the part of our cheat police is not a risk they may want to take.

russ insists that we step very carefully on this matter for very good reason.