* Game moderators - the cheat police

* Game moderators - the cheat police

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d
Elder Statesman

Moves
20 Dec 04

Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
feel sorry for you man I took a look, and you are playing against two guys who i've seen admission from that they use engines. THe one who's name begins with a b is beatable at the time when I played him he wasnt using that strong of an engine and once down pawn in both games he resigned. The other, K, stopped using when I told him I knew he was using ...[text shortened]... ly started again which you can see from his rating shooting straight up. Good luck against them.
Well I had my doubts about one of those two, but to be honest neither of those are the one I meant. Check out his games against all his opponents - I feel really sorry for them as once out of the opening few moves he is straight into engine use.

Oh and before anyone starts to wonder, I have said before, my son has the engine. He is not helping me (look at some of the dumb-ass mistakes I've made) as I would sooner stop all together than resort to THEIR tactics. What he does do is tell me what move he is going to play next, always right of course. This is not helping me as I still have to work out what I'm going to do. As it happens I'm losing both games, which if play was fair would be no big deal, I'm losing to other lesser rated players who are genuinely outplaying me and they are good games.

Anyway take a look, despite my protestations this guy is affecting EVERYONE he plays against.

T
Total Domination

Wilmington, NC

Moves
20 Dec 04

Originally posted by derek9037
Well I had my doubts about one of those two, but to be honest neither of those are the one I meant. Check out his games against all his opponents - I feel really sorry for them as once out of the opening few moves he is straight into engine use.

Oh and before anyone starts to wonder, I have said before, my son has the engine. He is not helping me (look ...[text shortened]...

Anyway take a look, despite my protestations this guy is affecting EVERYONE he plays against.
Hmm only other person i see is 5thranger. Noticed him before. Seems to have one of those graphs that starts with him playing for himself when he first joined the site and then decided to use a new toy instead. Too lazy to look at any of his games right now at work.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
20 Dec 04

Hmm only other person i see is 5thranger. Noticed him before. Seems to have one of those graphs that starts with him playing for himself when he first joined the site and then decided to use a new toy instead. Too lazy to look at any of his games right now at work.
You may well be too lazy to look up his games, but are you too stupid to realize that 5thranger's graph starts out that way because those were the games he played while provisionally ranked? In his first twenty games, he won 19 and drew 1. If you're hell-bent on making public accusations of engine use, rather than waiting the week or so for the game moderators to be functional, then at least educate yourself about how the rating graphs work. That will save people like 5thranger from being erroneously accused, and it will save you from looking like a jack-ass in public.

T
Total Domination

Wilmington, NC

Moves
20 Dec 04

Originally posted by bbarr
You may well be too lazy to look up his games, but are you too stupid to realize that 5thranger's graph starts out that way because those were the games he played while provisionally ranked? In his first twenty games, he won 19 and drew 1. If you're hell-bent on making public accusations of engine use, rather than waiting the week or so for the game modera ...[text shortened]... ger from being erroneously accused, and it will save you from looking like a jack-ass in public.
just trying to figure out what player he was talking about, that is the only person left that he could be talking about and though he hasnt posted any analysis, claims that all his moves match to an engine his son uses. I'm not personally accusing him of anything, would be nice to see some analyss and have derek say what this engine is. Also even if matching up his moves, probably isnt right to be sent his moves before hand even if he is using an engine. Two wrongs certainly don't make a right and it doesnt seem to be helping you so doesnt make it even either. So whats the engine?? Graphs are weird, think I won atleast my first 20 games and my grapgh didnt do that, though I cant see it anymore.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
20 Dec 04

I am behind on the posts in the thread now, but I just wanted to say I have prototyped my first game mod tool, and I am now running it against some known (banned) cheaters, a suspected cheater (I wonder who that could be....), and anyone else I care to try it on.

Anyway, let me say this...I could be making an executive decision and removing someone from the site prior to the introduction of game mods. No prizes for guessing...

-Russ

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
20 Dec 04

Originally posted by Russ
I am behind on the posts in the thread now, but I just wanted to say I have prototyped my first game mod tool, and I am now running it against some known (banned) cheaters, a suspected cheater (I wonder who that could be....), and anyone else I care to try it on.

Anyway, let me say this...I could be making an executive decision and removing someone from the site prior to the introduction of game mods. No prizes for guessing...

-Russ
I have absolutely no idea of who are you talking about..............😉

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
20 Dec 04

Originally posted by Russ
Thank you Russ.

Nemesio

f

Moves
21 Dec 04
1 edit

... THe one who's name begins with a b is beatable at the time when I played him he wasnt using that strong of an engine and once down pawn in both games he resigned. The other, K, stopped using when I told him I knew he was using one during our games...
Hmmm, how did you know for sure he was using one? I can see how you could find out after the game, when running the game through a chess computer, but during a game?!!

Also, how can you say that the first guy is using a not so strong engine?
How do you know he is using an engine then? Are you an expert? If yes, how come?

Could it just be that you are an engine user yourself? Is that why:

a) you never blunder.
b) you can spot engine users so quickly?
c) can play about 80 games at the same time at a very high level (even beating engines) and win all of them?

Although having cheat detection is a very good idea (in principle), I'm not very comfortable with having a cheat police at all. How do we know for sure that some of the cheat police are not smart engine users themselves (with smart I mean: people who only use an engine to guide them and to avoid making mistakes). How can you be so sure that someone who spends an hour thinking about each move doesn't come up with the same move as an engine? Especially if he isn't very strong positionally and therefore is more likely to pick moves that lead to material gain.

Finally, I also think it is wrong to choose the members of a police, before it has been decided how this police is going to operate. Or are they going to write their own rules? Very scary indeed!

G

Moves
21 Dec 04

Originally posted by fingolfin
Hmmm, how did you know for sure he was using one? I can see how you could find out after the game, when running the game through a chess computer, but during a game?!!

How do you know he is using an engine then? Are you an expert? If yes, how come?

Could it just ...[text shortened]... this police is going to operate. Or are they going to write their own rules? Very scary indeed!
If you had of read the thread you'd know that the members arent chosen, thats just a list of people who are willing to offer their time to take part. Im not sure if there will be a vote or something, but the list isnt final and any pawn star can add their name too it.

The comment about "ooooo the cheat police might cheat" is brought up time and time again. I dont see why it would be any different to the people on the chess mods checking another mod compaired to the mods checking someone else.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Dec 04

Could it just ...[text shortened]... this police is going to operate. Or are they going to write their own rules? Very scary indeed!
Fingolfin seems to know an exceptional amount about TRACKHEAD21 for a guy who joined YESTERDAY. It seems probable that he's a second account, which, of course, also violates the TOS.

All of his other comments show either a misunderstanding of the "cheat police" concept or are points that have been addressed numerous times in these forums. I say as it's clear the introduction of the "cheat police" is inevitable, let's get the thing started as there are a number of allegations hanging out in the open which should be throughly investigated and the named players either cleared or punished if proven to be a cheat. And there are a number of other players who have stepped onto the site and rolled up close to a 100 games without a loss who I would say warrant a look-see, too.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
21 Dec 04

Is cheating common?

f

Moves
21 Dec 04

Originally posted by no1marauder
Fingolfin seems to know an exceptional amount about TRACKHEAD21 for a guy who joined YESTERDAY.
I don't know much about trackhead at all, but you can derive quite a lot from that ONE particular post and his profile.

1) He can beat engines.
2) He can identify during a game whether someone is using an engine and whether the engine is strong or not.
3) He plays large number of games at the same time.
4) Looking at his recent games, he seems almost unbeatable, despite the large number of concurrent games.

Point 2 I find particularly interesting: how can you know (during a game) that you are playing an engine without doing some analysis(during the game) with an engine yourself ? I find that suspicious, but maybe there is a good explanation....

It seems probable that he's a second account, which, of course, also violates the TOS

Maybe you need to be less paranoid....

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Dec 04

I don't know much about trackhead at all, but you can derive quite a lot from that ONE particular post and his profile.

1) He can beat engines.
2) He can identify during a game whether someone is using an engine and whether the engine is strong or not.
3) He plays large number of games at the same time.
4) Looking at his recent games, he seem ...[text shortened]... ccount, which, of course, also violates the TOS

Maybe you need to be less paranoid....
[/b]
There's nothing in TRACKHEAD21's profile page which suggests he "never blunders" as you stated in your first post; his record shows 129 losses. Now those of us who have been on the site for a while know that the bulk of those losses were because he had to leave the site for about 2 months and was timeouted in a lot of games, but a true newbie would have no way of knowing this. We seem to have a number of new accounts lately who's first assignment at RHP is to start complaining about the introduction of the cheat police. Nonetheless, they're coming, about 90% of the people on the site want them (judging by the poll results) and last minute objections by non-subscribers isn't going to change anything. Paranoia requires some emotional investment in the object of the paranoid; since I honestly don't care if you are a 2nd account (But believe you PROBABLY are) I'm not paranoid - just skeptical.

Moves
21 Dec 04

It seems probable that he's a second account, which, of course, also violates the TOS
It's also pretty hard to believe that a newbie would know how to use bold and italics in their posts.

It took me months to learn how to do this!

Dave

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
21 Dec 04
5 edits

Originally posted by David Tebb
It's also pretty hard to believe that a newbie would know how to use [b]bold and italics in their posts.

It took me months to learn how to do this!

Dave[/b]
And he is a multi account abuser too! (Incredible) 😠

Stand up user rvugts! Well done for making yourself look very silly indeed.

-Russ