1. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 May '06 13:34
    The 'Alert' option is not really an 'extra' [in the sense of something to pay for] and I would think the reason non subs cant alert is to prevent abuse. Therefore wouldn't it be a good idea to make it accessible to non subs who have been here a certain length of time or after a certain number of moves. [with the option to remove their alerting privileges if misused] When you bear in mind that anyone can message a mod anyway it seems a bit of a contradiction.
    This would benefit the site I think.
  2. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    22 May '06 13:38
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    The 'Alert' option is not really an 'extra' [in the sense of something to pay for] and I would think the reason non subs cant alert is to prevent abuse. Therefore wouldn't it be a good idea to make it accessible to non subs who have been here a certain length of time or after a certain number of moves. [with the option to remove their alerting privile ...[text shortened]... ssage a mod anyway it seems a bit of a contradiction.
    If you want to do it so bad then pay for it. I know I joined just so I could alert the mods
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 May '06 15:18
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    If you want to do it so bad then pay for it. I know I joined just so I could alert the mods
    If you joined [by which I presume you mean "subscribed"] simply for that reason you must be as dim as your statement. Did you know, one can alert mods via a message 🙄 In any case it's not there to give pleasure to the alerter, but it could be a help to the site.
  4. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    22 May '06 15:52
    If you joined [by which I presume you mean "subscribed"] simply for that reason you must be as dim as your statement. Did you know, one can alert mods via a message 🙄 In any case it's not there to give pleasure to the alerter, but it could be a help to the site.
    you need to go purchase yourself a sarcasm detector
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 May '06 18:23
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    you need to go purchase yourself a sarcasm detector
    There's not many of those that work well over the internet.
  6. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    22 May '06 21:19
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    There's not many of those that work well over the internet.
    Or in the hands of some.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    22 May '06 22:08
    The 'Alert' option is not really an 'extra' [in the sense of something to pay for] and I would think the reason non subs cant alert is to prevent abuse. Therefore wouldn't it be a good idea to make it accessible to non subs who have been here a certain length of time or after a certain number of moves. [with the option to remove their alerting privile ...[text shortened]... ssage a mod anyway it seems a bit of a contradiction.
    Let's just rid ourselves of this alert button malarky, once and for all...

But yeah, if we do have one, then anyone should be able to use it.
  8. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 20:04
    If someone is not inclined to pay for this site why should he have anything to say about what is or is not on this site?

If you'd like to complain about people or posts pay for the right to do so, if that is not worth paying for then shut up and start whining somewhere else.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 21:06
    Originally posted by coentje
    If someone is not inclined to pay for this site why should he have anything to say about what is or is not on this site?
    Because we can also help remove things that are offensive to the entire community. I've PM'ed alerts to mods in the past, notifying them of everything from multiple account abusers to forum spammers. They don't always act on my suggestion, but they seem appreciative that I've taken the time to inform them.

And if they don't mind it, then you have no business telling non-subs off for wanting to help alert offensive content, or content that flagrantly violates the TOS.
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 21:091 edit
    can you imagine the havok that could be created if anyone could alert the mods, the function would quickly become unusable as idiots spam the hell out of them (i aint calling non-subs idiots, i defend them when i can, but theres fair weather site users that could really go to town on an alert option)
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 21:28
    I agree that this is reserved for subs due to the fact that it would be open to abuse if non-subs had alert abilities.

However, it is difficult to make sure that a person isn't operating multiple accounts, and so it's quite possible that 1 person could give multiple alerts for a period of time.

Its just the way it has to be, IMO.

D
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 21:31
    Because we can also help remove things that are offensive to the entire community. I've PM'ed alerts to mods in the past, notifying them of everything from multiple account abusers to forum spammers. They don't always act on my suggestion, but they seem appreciative that I've taken the time to inform them.
    And keep doing it.

I applaud taking the time out to do that, but unfortunately I don't think life can be made easier for you while you remain a non-sub, because of the possible abuse of the alerts by some malicious users.

D
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 22:07
    Well, the way I look at it is that notifying of offensive [etc] posts is a help to the site. There could be a minimum move limit or something to prevent indiscriminate alerting but why should I or other non-subs bother to help when it's made difficult for us to do so.
    If the fact is that our help is not wanted , then ok.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 23:07
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    And keep doing it.

I applaud taking the time out to do that, but unfortunately I don't think life can be made easier for you while you remain a non-sub, because of the possible abuse of the alerts by some malicious users.

D
    PM's are fine with me. I was responding to a guy who suggested that non-subs had no right to complain at all.
  15. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 00:50
    PM's are fine with me. I was responding to a guy who suggested that non-subs had no right to complain at all.
    You are right, i came on a little too strong and i apologise for expressing myself the way i did. Of course you do have the right to complain, we do live (well most of the people on this site anyway) in a free country and have the right to complain at all times.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree