1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 09:10
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    There could be a minimum move limit or something to prevent indiscriminate alerting but why should I or other non-subs bother to help when it's made difficult for us to do so.
    If the fact is that our help is not wanted , then ok.
    How does a min move limit prevent 1 person alerting using multiple accounts? This is what I was getting at.

D
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 15:50
    Well, the way I look at it is that notifying of offensive [etc] posts is a help to the site. There could be a minimum move limit or something to prevent indiscriminate alerting but why should I or other non-subs bother to help when it's made difficult for us to do so.
    If the fact is that our help is not wanted , then ok.
    Sorry Doc, this option can be abused. Your help is always welcome, and you know where to find the mods. If a user had several user names they can cause a lot more trouble than is worth.

P-
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 23:47
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    How does a min move limit prevent 1 person alerting using multiple accounts? This is what I was getting at.

D
    If a non sub is not able to use an alert link until they had made a few thousand moves for example. That would prevent them just getting multiple accounts to immediately abuse the alert system.
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 23:50
    If a non sub is not able to use an alert link until they had made a few thousand moves for example. That would prevent them just getting multiple accounts to immediately abuse the alert system.
    that kinda makes sense. even 20,000
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 03:51
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    that kinda makes sense. even 20,000
    Many players who've been here several years don't have 20,000 moves. That number's way too high.

Better to go by account duration, e.g., non-subs who've been here for 6 months or more can alert posts.
  6. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 03:58
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Many players who've been here several years don't have 20,000 moves. That number's way too high.

Better to go by account duration, e.g., non-subs who've been here for 6 months or more can alert posts.
    it would take you some time to reach it, right enough.
    A time duration could be abused by leaving an account dormant until its ready (internet trolls are devious creatures).
    I admit 20,000 might be too much, but gameplay should be rewarded over time.

I agree with DR S, but at the end of the day Its russ's call.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 07:00
    My point was and still is, that there are a number of non-subs who use multiple accounts to bypass the 6 game rule. It is entirely feasible that these accounts have been active for years and thousands of moves.

N (the number of alerts needed before a post is removed) is a very small number. 1 user with 3 accounts could obliterate the forums.

D
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 16:16
    My point was and still is, that there are a number of non-subs who use multiple accounts to bypass the 6 game rule. It is entirely feasible that these accounts have been active for years and thousands of moves.

N (the number of alerts needed before a post is removed) is a very small number. 1 user with 3 accounts could obliterate the forums.

D
    There would be ways to bypass the rules of course but it would need forward planning and would therefore be less likely.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 16:19
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    it would take you some time to reach it, right enough.
    A time duration could be abused by leaving an account dormant until its ready (internet trolls are devious creatures).
    I admit 20,000 might be too much, but gameplay should be rewarded over time.

I agree with DR S, but at the end of the day Its russ's call.
    There is no good preventative defense against a troll who is vindictive enough to wait 6 months just to bring down the forums. Whether it's programming a bot to have multiple accounts make thousands of moves against each other, or even paying 100 bucks for three accounts, they can get around the limits, if they really want to.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 16:21

D
    In other words, a bored rich kid with 90 bucks could obliterate the forums. If this is really a concern, we'd have to do away with the alert system altogether.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 17:45
    There would be ways to bypass the rules of course but it would need forward planning and would therefore be less likely.
    I'm not saying that people would maintain multiple accounts JUST for the alerts. They already exist.

D
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 17:47
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    In other words, a bored rich kid with 90 bucks could obliterate the forums. If this is really a concern, we'd have to do away with the alert system altogether.
    I'm sure Russ would just love to have that rich kid attack the forums for a day, and then be banned, and then resubscribe 3 times, attack the forums and be banned, etc. People would get bored a lot more slowly if they weren't getting hit in the pocket, rich kid or not.

Anyway, I've made the points I wanted to make.

D
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 19:13
    They already exist.

D
    If you know this for a fact, you should report it.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 19:14
    I'm sure Russ would just love to have that rich kid attack the forums for a day, and then be banned, and then resubscribe 3 times, attack the forums and be banned, etc. People would get bored a lot more slowly if they weren't getting hit in the pocket, rich kid or not.

Anyway, I've made the points I wanted to make.

D
    From what I have read, when someone is banned they get their subscription refunded.
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 20:12
    From what I have read, when someone is banned they get their subscription refunded.
    I don't think that is right. From what I've read, Ironman resubscribed when he got banned (because he didn't know he had been banned). His resubscription got refunded to him. I'd be surprised if Russ refunds all banned people's subs, but I'm not sure. If you got kicked out of a nightclub for fighting, would you expect to get your cover charge back?

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree