1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 23:221 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    because players with a higher rating have a better chance of predicting three moves ahead, and if there was say a 1/na game, or na/80 tournament, then being able to move three moves at a time is definitely advantagous.
    They have the advantage of foresight because they're higher rated, not because the server allows conditional moves or not. They can just manually play the conditional moves, and they won't time out. After all, no further thinking time is required once you have a sequence planned in advance.

There is currently no restriction on how fast you can reply to a move, so the objection about higher rated players blitzing the lower rated fails.
  2. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 23:40
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    They have the advantage of foresight because they're higher rated, not because the server allows conditional moves or not. They can just manually play the conditional moves, and they won't time out. After all, no further thinking time is required once you have a sequence planned in advance.

There is currently no restriction on how fast you can reply to a move, so the objection about higher rated players blitzing the lower rated fails.
    No it doesnt. In tournaments, or 1 day games a higher rated player could gain the advantage, especially if the other guy only has limited time to make his move.
    I dont have to argue my opinion.
  3. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 03:39
    Originally posted by SammyJ
    Can't see if this has been asked before, and might be a hard change to implement. Still, if you don't ask...

I'd like to be able to do the following when submitting a move. In a similar box to the 'Send a message' box, I'd like to be able to have a different box where I could put two annotated moves, the first being the move I expect my opponent to make an ...[text shortened]... , or further possible moves, but for now I'd love to know if this is feasible.

Thanks.
    this move is possible on a chess site called gameknot
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 04:26
    No it doesnt. In tournaments, or 1 day games a higher rated player could gain the advantage, especially if the other guy only has limited time to make his move.
    No, the higher rated player doesn't gain any special advantage. No matter how fast he moves, the opponent always has a day to make his reply.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 04:51
    Except you're not stating it as opinion. Personally I think better players have too much of an advantage. I think anyone over 2200 should have to play without a rook. If we want to reduce their chance of winnings games that'll work great.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 09:16
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Except you're not stating it as opinion. Personally I think better players have too much of an advantage. I think anyone over 2200 should have to play without a rook. If we want to reduce their chance of winnings games that'll work great.
    Or us lower rated players should be able to move twice every 5 moves.

That should even the playing field...
    Too many times have I carefully made plans, only to be outsmarted by a higher rated player.
    This will not stand!
  7. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 15:131 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    No, the higher rated player doesn't gain any special advantage. No matter how fast he moves, the opponent always has a day to make his reply.
    yes he does. If a player presets three moves, then technically in a 3/7 game, he doesnt need to attend to that game for 9 days, whereas if he only had one move and didnt attend to his game for 9 days,most of his time bank would be depleated.

I believe this to be an advantage.
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 15:14
    yes he does. If a player presets three moves, then technically in a 3/7 game, he doesnt need to attend to that game for 9 days, whereas if he only had one move and didnt attend to his game for 9 days,most of his time bank would be depleated.

I believe this to be an advantage.
    But a lower rated player can do the same.
  9. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 15:17
    sarcasm is the lowest form of witt, and obviously the only one at your disposal.

Dont think my opinion lessens any because you can think up lame ass gibes.

Your posts lessen in relevance, when you prove to everyone you have nothing constructive to say.

I take heart in that 🙂
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 15:18
    But a lower rated player can do the same.
    a lower rated player can not play with the same foresight as a higher rated player, so the advantage is not on his side
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 15:29
    a lower rated player can not play with the same foresight as a higher rated player, so the advantage is not on his side
    So the lower rated player is at a disadvantage in a game of chess because he isn't as good at chess?

Tell me what's wrong with that?
  12. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 15:34
    So the lower rated player is at a disadvantage in a game of chess because he isn't as good at chess?

Tell me what's wrong with that?
    its the extra disadvantage thats the problem. Its bad enough playing someone who can think so many moves ahead, but to give them time advantage is unfiar.
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 15:37
    its the extra disadvantage thats the problem. Its bad enough playing someone who can think so many moves ahead, but to give them time advantage is unfiar.
    I have an advantage over you because I have enough commitment to the site to have never lost a game by timeout. All the ability to preload moves would be to possibly give this advantage to people who are organised but have some engagements that take them away from the site.
  14. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 15:431 edit
    I have an advantage over you because I have enough commitment to the site to have never lost a game by timeout. All the ability to preload moves would be to possibly give this advantage to people who are organised but have some engagements that take them away from the site.
    i have never lost a game by timeout.

preloading moves would be missused just like the vacation flag, and in my opinion, giving more advantage to the higher ranked players.

One alternative would be to put time constrictions on those using this option. Say if the game was 3/7, the next move could be made 3 days later (and possibly a timebank cost ).In games such as 1/na or na/80, then this option should not be allowed, the advantages in using it are too much, surely you can agree on that. . .fair play and all that wot?
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 15:46
    i have never lost a game by timeout.

preloading moves would be missused just like the vacation flag, and in my opinion, giving more advantage to the higher ranked players.

One alternative would be to put time constrictions on those using this option. Say if the game was 3/7, the next move could be made 3 days later.In games such as 1/na or n ...[text shortened]... dvantages in using it are too much, surely you can agree on that. . .fair play and all that wot?
    I can see no reason not to allow preloaded moves in all games. Remember to use a preloaded move I have to know exactly what move the opponent will play. I would probably only use it for opening moves and where my opponent has a forced recapture.

Also, explain how the vacation flag is misused and who it gives advantage to, I know you're dying to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree