Anticipate move

Anticipate move

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
15 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Three posts in reply to three that you made. You're controlling the volume, little man.
eat my shorts timeout boy.

oh, timeoutπŸ™„

game over, you lose.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Jun 06

RHP could even set it up such that the proposed conditional moves were visible to both players. One player offers conditionals; the opponent may accept them, upon which the moves are instantly played out, or decline them and play a different move at some point in the sequence (or avoid it altogether). That avoids the huckleberryfish complaint about one player's time running while the other makes several automatic moves in a row.

TokerSmurf

Bonnie Scotland

Moves
16 Jun 06
2 edits

RHP could even set it up such that the proposed conditional moves were visible to both players.
personally i dont think this is a great idea. it cant be a good idea to give your opponent knowledge of your plan of attack ... ever ... and then expect them to agree to it too πŸ˜•. simply giving you the option to set conditional moves would be great though.

i also dont think the time advantage issue is worth worrying about. if your reply is made immediately then your opponent has immediate knowledge of this anyway and can then play thier move straight away too. cant see the problem.

this would be the case if both players were online at the time anyway since you know exactly what you want to play (probably jotted the line down in your notes even). the only risk to your opponent is that it would be possible for them to play a move and then close the window without bothering to check for more moves BUT this is already a risk when both players online and actively checking thier moves.

your opponent would still need to check the game before the timeout either way, it would only make a difference of a minute or so to how long they have got to do this ... could even be as little as 10 seconds(same time it would take someone already online to: see that its thier move; read the notes; move the piece and hit submit).

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
16 Jun 06

RHP could even set it up such that the proposed conditional moves were visible to both players.
Terrible idea, although I guess it could be common enough in choosing the opening in mail chess. Somebody provided an example whereby somebody posted "after anything, then play this move", but missed a move and lost his bishop, IIRC.

Conditional moves are a great idea, and I'm sure I read Russ say that he is going to implement them (May even have been in this thread, apologies if so).

HBH's arguments are non-starters as far as I'm concerned.

D

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
16 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by MCA
personally i dont think this is a great idea. it cant be a good idea to give your opponent knowledge of your plan of attack ... ever ... and then expect them to agree to it too πŸ˜•.

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Terrible idea, although I guess it could be common enough in choosing the opening in mail chess.
As Rag points out, visible conditional moves are the only option in snail-mail chess. Having played it before, this is where I got the idea from.

MCA, not every move reveals a plan of attack, because not every move is an attacking move. Sometimes it's a book opening, or a forced exchanging sequence, or a forcing sequence of checks, etc. etc. In those cases, it doesn't matter that the opponent can see the moves in advance. The main idea is to speed up the game when you reach a forcing sequence. If you hide the sequence from your opponent, then you may lose the ability to speed the game up.

Rag, the game you mentioned was 1.d4 g6 and Black stated, "if any, 2...Bg7." Of course, White then responded 2.Bh6!! Bg7 3.Bxg7 and won. However, this is a mistake on the part of the player rather than a flaw in the conditional move system.

Edit: I'd support either conditional move system. I'm only pointing out that the 'visible' conditional move system does have some advantages, too.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
17 Jun 06

Originally posted by MCA
personally i dont think this is a great idea. it cant be a good idea to give your opponent knowledge of your plan of attack ... ever ... and then expect them to agree to it too πŸ˜•. simply giving you the option to set conditional moves would be great though.

i also dont think the time advantage issue is worth worrying about. if your reply is made immediately t ...[text shortened]... eone already online to: see that its thier move; read the notes; move the piece and hit submit).
The time advantage is very important in games such as na/30, or 1/na, where majing three moves then leaving the game unattended is possible. I acknowledge that this may not be as important in 7/14 games for example, but not everyone is grandmaster material, and not everyone has time or the ability to make three well planned moves in one sitting.

As for Rags dismissal of my opinion, that is his prerogative, but hard to answer when there is no basis given.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
17 Jun 06

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
As for Rags dismissal of my opinion, that is his prerogative, but hard to answer when there is no basis given.
I didn't see the need seeing as they've already been dismissed time and time again, which you haven't accepted.

I'd only use conditional moves when there was absolutely no other option. In unforced scenario's, a player is opening himself up to blunders by making multiple moves in advance.

D

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
17 Jun 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
I didn't see the need seeing as they've already been dismissed time and time again, which you haven't accepted.

I'd only use conditional moves when there was absolutely no other option. In unforced scenario's, a player is opening himself up to blunders by making multiple moves in advance.

D
dismissal is the absecne of a proper dbeateable reason

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
17 Jun 06

dismissal is the absecne of a proper dbeateable reason
dsyelxai is het absene of a propre lteter ordre.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
17 Jun 06
1 edit

dsyelxai is het absene of a propre lteter ordre.
how many games have i won???

Timeout boy.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
17 Jun 06

Timeout boy.
Ever so slightly more than you've lost.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
18 Jun 06

Timeout boy.
Imagine how many more you could win if you got your head out of that diaper.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
18 Jun 06
2 edits

Imagine how many more you could win if you got your head out of that diaper.
what, yours?

just for you

http://media.thechrispirilloshow.com/mp3/yourepitiful.mp3

you're pitiful
you're pitiful
you're pitiful its true.
never had a date
that you couldn't inflate
and you smell repulsive too
what a bummer being you

πŸ™‚

S

Moves
18 Jun 06

Huckleberry, I'm going to try my best to point this out as diplomatic and and as simple as possible - seeing as you quickly dismiss any "point" displayed in sarcasm.

But first, I must make a simple assertion: -

A pre-move happens INSTANTANEOUS - so, a secound after your move is made, so is thiers....

and lets also make things even easier on you - if someone has set a conditional move it is stated somewhere on the screen (like messages) that they have set a pre-move (of course, it doesn't tell you what the move is)

Now - Your online and go to your game "me vs. X" 1 day 0 timeout...

you "think" about your move and also notice he has a premove set (the icon tells you)

so, you summit your move, and then refresh the page (knowing hes got a premove set), and VOILA!! the sever automatically played his move secounds later.

and then, BEFORE YOU LOG OUT you make another move.

^ after this....his pre-move has been used up - and now his time is being used.....

Now, Where is the time advantage stronger players Get??

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
18 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Shinidoki
Huckleberry, I'm going to try my best to point this out as diplomatic and and as simple as possible - seeing as you quickly dismiss any "point" displayed in sarcasm.

But first, I must make a simple assertion: -

A pre-move happens INSTANTANEOUS - so, a secound after your move is made, so is thiers....

and lets also make things even easier on you w his time is being used.....

Now, Where is the time advantage stronger players Get??
ok buddy. since you are prepared to debate the subject in a sensible manner, you deserve a sensible response.

Being the only person who sees the downside i have taken the brunt of a lot of sarcasm (and timeout boy), so please dont take any of my earlier rsponses out of context.

Let me make couple of assertions.
1. the player in question is a sub, and has a lot of games in play >50 say.
2. He is interested in a friendly game of e-mail chess.
3. he doesnt have hours of time to play his moves.

He looks at his games and sees 30 games to move in. so does the best he can to make the moves he can in the time he has (lets say he has a life, a job , kids, whatever).
Why should he have to move at a faster rate than normal because you, or whoever wants to preset moves?

OK lets take the fact that he is not as good as you, why should he have to make moves when you are not there at the PC because you want to speed things up, but dont want to attend to your games in person?

I would like to point out one thing as a sidebar. I have not in this thread acted in a sarcastic manner, unless it as in defence. Xanthos is a sarcastic person, and i feel i was justified in responding to him it that way, and as for Bigdogpoop.
He thought that i had no right to have an opinion, then tried to play the victim when i pointed out that he hadn't moved in 23 days, i even let go his inability to read numbers only to have him call me dislexic because of a typo.

If you wish to judge me as sarcastic, that is your prerogative, but i would suggest to you that it is not a fair assessment of my conduct in this thread.

Peace πŸ™‚

I have never responded in sarasm unless i was acting in kind.