1. Gold Coast
    Moves
    06 Feb '08 23:57
    I just got a line of 3 conditionals triggered, which was cool, but it stopped at a pawn promotion. It blocks the conditional line to wait for the player to choose a new type for the pawn.

Can the promoted piece be chosen as part of the conditional move, or can it be handled as another conditional move?

I know somewhere this already came up so maybe I have missed something and this is already possible?
  2. UK
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 18:061 edit
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but perhaps someone can explain -

I tried the "deep mode" and it said "move as many pieces as you want then press submit" or words like that. So I moved the pieces to reflect the opening I wanted to see played, and pressed submit and it said "invalid move". Do you have to press submit for every single move and not just the intended target, even if I moved all the pieces correctly on the board to get there?
  3. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 10:49
    How is all this testing going on? Is there any chance we might use conditionals in the nearest future?
  4. UK
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 11:151 edit
    Where I have remembered to use it, it seems to work properly. I've not used deep mode. Generally I find it is useful nearer the end of games, or where I can see a sequence of moves that is forced. Otherwise since it relies on my opponent having to make the moves that I expect, it is less useful, because I could spend ages putting in conditions for them never to be taken through.

It also occasionally makes me think a bit more about the next moves, which has probably helped my rating recently. woo!
  5. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 11:24
    I'm really waiting for this feature to be available. When I was playing on GameNot (Unfortunately I was banned because I used ad-block), I used it a lot in openings I knew and in forced positions.
  6. Joined
    18 Nov '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 21:47
    Ok, so a problem. If im going on vacation, i might put some conditional moves in place.

meanwhile, my oponent who usually waits 3 days before i make a move, finds that i've sped up, comes back 6 days later and bang, his timebank is depleted. Are we also talking about compensating the opponent for the "speed advantage" conditional moves give you?

other than that, this makes perfect sense. All players make conditional decisions up front; if you don't you cant be planning. In that respect, i think this would even help improve planning.

-- just my .. ooh 43 cents worth?
  7. Joined
    31 Mar '07
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 09:22
    Perhaps your oppenent should check to see when you've moved, rather than just assume you'll move at a given time.

Just a thought.
  8. Gold Coast
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 04:36
    Originally posted by mrmist
    ... Generally I find it is useful nearer the end of games, or where I can see a sequence of moves that is forced. Otherwise since it relies on my opponent having to make the moves that I expect, it is less useful, because I could spend ages putting in conditions for them never to be taken through. ...
    You make a good point that the condition always depends on a specific move by the oponent.

Sometimes I would like to make a particular next move regardless of the opponents choice of several moves and there is no easy way to enter this. This could be handy where a lost game is being dragged out by an opponent hoping for a timeout win.

Also, it should also be quicker/easier to delete unused conditional moves, that didn't trigger, since they build up if you use this feature a lot.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 10:44
    Is conditional moves ripe to be introduce to everybody? Or perhaps to the subscribers at least?
    I use it quite often and find it a very good tool to speed games up when I know what my opponent will do.
  10. UK
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 18:08
    Yes I too would like to be able to do something like "no matter what the opponent does next, reply with this". Obviously it would automatically cancel if the opponent does something that you didn't see that checks you, but otherwise I'd like to be able to do a conditional move based on, well, ANY condition.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 14:05
    It is extremely easy to do blunders. I've done some myself and lost one game. It's very easy to oversee things.

An any-move-option is quite dangerous.
  12. USA
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 15:38
    I could really use the conditional moves feature, I have a couple games in the or near the endgame that I would really like to speed up.

Any ideas on when this will be released to the public?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 16:10
    Conditional moves are probably coming on this site,whether you like it or not.I highly prefer it.Conditional move's are always optional to use and they also exist on alot of the better chess sites like GameKnot.
    They Do speed up the game for one thing.No,the opponent will not "see" the conditional move and never know there was one if they do not follow through on the conditional move.GameKnot has up to 10 conditional moves one can make.In am playing someone right now on Gameknot where I have 5 conditional moves set up.Its a 3 day time limit game.If by chance my opponent uses all 5 conditional moves,he has the choice of continuing to move until there are no more conditional alerts and make a 6th move all in say,an hour or he can "wait" 3 days between conditional moves for a total of 15 days before i get a chance to move.See?This also gives me a break to some extent(up to 15 days) to concentrate on other games,if i'm playing for example,20 other games at one time.
    As to a player "seeing"all conditional moves,I see no problem with that,although as far as i know,this does not exist exactly like that for reasons unknown.I would assume however,that a player should not know ahead of time what "train of thought" the opponent who made the conditional moves is thinking about,just like the other opponent who may not "follow through"on the conditional moves anyway!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 16:39
    Originally posted by jibrabooba
    Ok, so a problem. If im going on vacation, i might put some conditional moves in place.

meanwhile, my oponent who usually waits 3 days before i make a move, finds that i've sped up, comes back 6 days later and bang, his timebank is depleted. Are we also talking about compensating the opponent for the "speed advantage" conditional moves give you?

...[text shortened]... respect, i think this would even help improve planning.

-- just my .. ooh 43 cents worth?
    for each conditional move an opponent makes,his timebank will automatically reset all over again for each move.Like I said previously in another thread.For example,its a 3 day per move game.I give my opponent 2 conditional moves.He makes one conditional move after,say,2 days.He then gets another immediate conditional move alert for him to respond again.he has 3 days again to respond to the 2nd conditional move all over again...no suprises or suprise time banks running "mysteriously"out,see?After all of his conditional moves are used up,he then makes a move outside the conditional move sequence and then i have 3 days to make my move.Its actually very simple and a great feature if programmed correctly by the site administrators.As to pawn promotion,a box should come up(like on GameKnot)where the conditional move maker then has a choice of pieces.Most choose the queen of course,but there are exceptions like a knight for immediate checkmate depending upon the position.
    Trust me all this is a good thing!While i am only a provisional player on this site,I am a USCF master and trust me,when you start using conditional moves,most players will love them,although a small amt of other players will simply feel they are playing a program with up to 10 conditional moves possible,but that scenario couldn't be avoided anyway,so there really is no difference.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 16:47
    Originally posted by Truculence
    for each conditional move an opponent makes,his timebank will automatically reset all over again for each move.Like I said previously in another thread.For example,its a 3 day per move game.I give my opponent 2 conditional moves.He makes one conditional move after,say,2 days.He then gets another immediate conditional move alert for him to respond again.he ...[text shortened]... moves possible,but that scenario couldn't be avoided anyway,so there really is no difference.
    Oh,one other thing...
    No matter how many conditional moves I give an opponent to possibly speed things up,I never count on any additional time for myself .The reason is that my opponent could make 1 or 10 conditional move responses all in say,30 minutes!So,I know that at the very least,I still have my original time controls of 1 day or 3 days to respond from the time I first sent my conditional moves to my opponent.See?Simple!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree