Any update on conditional moves

Any update on conditional moves

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
09 Nov 07

There is a short delay after your opponent moves before they trigger.

-Russ

e

Moves
09 Nov 07

Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
Ah, good to know. I was assuming it was tied to the game (when the move was made a check was done for the conditional moves, if they existed then execute it).

I'll be patient 🙂

t

Garner, NC

Moves
10 Nov 07

Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
I look forward to seeing conditional moves in action. If you need more beta testers, let me know.

Another idea. A checkbox option to automatically play moves for which there is no choice. If you are in check with only one possible move, why not have it played for you?

This of course is a little beyond traditional correspondence chess, but in the days of the Internet, lots of innovations are happening.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
10 Nov 07

Originally posted by techsouth
Another idea. A checkbox option to automatically play moves for which there is no choice. If you are in check with only one possible move, why not have it played for you?

This of course is a little beyond traditional correspondence chess, but in the days of the Internet, lots of innovations are happening.
No way.

That assumes that you will find the one move and make it. I don't want any system which gives a player information.

D

F

Moves
10 Nov 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
No way.

That assumes that you will find the one move and make it. I don't want any system which gives a player information.

D
Agree with Rag!

There is always a choice. (1) play the move, and (2) resign, and (3) wait for with the move until later of some reason only known by the player, and (4) let the game expire to tame out.

The choice is always the players himself, not to an automated process.

N

The sky

Moves
10 Nov 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Agree with Rag!

There is always a choice. (1) play the move, and (2) resign, and (3) wait for with the move until later of some reason only known by the player, and (4) let the game expire to tame out.
Not to forget (5) play the move and offer a draw, or claim a draw if applicable.

e

Moves
11 Nov 07

There are two modes of conditional moves, conditional and 'quick'.

The conditional still confuses me a bit (not a hard task I'll admit) and seems to need the most tweaking (you can do things like setup a conditional board with two kings on it).

However, the 'quick mode' works great and I'd love to see it released to general public anytime!

Great work on these items, I really appreciate RHP's commitment to improvements.

t

Moves
11 Nov 07

Agree with Rag!

Any player who is dumb enough to resign even though there has to be a move because otherwise it would be checkmate and the game would be over needs to be kicked off of the site.

F

Moves
11 Nov 07

Originally posted by tomtom232
Any player who is dumb enough to resign even though there has to be a move because otherwise it would be checkmate and the game would be over needs to be kicked off of the site.
There is no crime to be dumb. Maybe there is a smart reason that you cannot imagine.

t

Garner, NC

Moves
12 Nov 07

Agree with Rag!

That is why it would be a "checkbox" rather than a blanket change for all.

If you have one move and it is automatically made, you can always come back and resign later, even if it is not your move.

If you are offerred a draw, that may be viewed as more than one possible move and the automatic move would not kick in.

If I wanted to let my time expire rather than play an automatic move, I would just uncheck the option box so moves are not played.

F

Moves
12 Nov 07

If you have one move and it is automatically made, you can always come back and resign later, even if it is not your move.

If you are offerred a draw, that may be viewed as more than one possible move and the automatic move would not kick in.

If I wanted to let my time expi ...[text shortened]... ther than play an automatic move, I would just uncheck the option box so moves are not played.
I get your point.

Me myself want all control, but I can see that some will not.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
12 Nov 07

If I wanted to let my time expi ...[text shortened]... ther than play an automatic move, I would just uncheck the option box so moves are not played.
Sorry, but it's a terrible idea.

It is essentially outside assistance. There are a number of threads asking about why it isn't checkmate, when the only escape move is en passent. Why should a third party (in this case: the RHP system) assist a player to find the move that they may not find in time themselves?

Apart from that, how does the RHP system know that there is only one move in a position? It would have to run a chess engine in the background analysing the position in every game after every move, hogging resources.

Thumbs down!

D

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
12 Nov 07

I'll have to agree with Ragnorak here.

It's one thing to validate a given move and confirm the legality thereof, it's quite another thing to assess every possible move that can be made and keep count of the legal moves.

As another point - I wouldn't want moves to be made by the system just because it was the 'only' move as this would eat into my thinking time. It's rare to find a game with a long forced sequence - they happen, but there are usually choices that need careful thought and 'auto-moves' would deny that.

t

Garner, NC

Moves
15 Nov 07

Originally posted by orangutan
I'll have to agree with Ragnorak here.

It's one thing to validate a given move and confirm the legality thereof, it's quite another thing to assess every possible move that can be made and keep count of the legal moves.

As another point - I wouldn't want moves to be made by the system just because it was the 'only' move as this would eat into my thin ...[text shortened]... t there are usually choices that need careful thought and 'auto-moves' would deny that.
Hmm, I am not sure I follow, especially the "another point" part, but there is a good point in your first part (although I am not sure it's your main point).

If the computer makes all forced moves, when you come to a position for which you only see one move, if the computer did not take that move, then it clues you in that there is a second move that you might have otherwise missed. That concievably gives real help which is not what I intended.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 Nov 07

Hmm, I am not sure I follow, especially the "another point" part, but there is a good point in your first part (although I am not sure it's your main point).
Sometimes, I know exactly what move I want to make, but don't want to make it straight away as part of my time management strategy.

D