1. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Jun '07 05:12
    I understand that a conditional moves feature is under development. Any chance of an update on when it is expected to be available?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '07 05:22
    Yes, it would be nice to know.

It would also be nice to know, on regular basis, what Russ and Chris have on their to-do list, and an approximate launch date schedule of various updates and enhancements.
  3. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Jun '07 07:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    It would also be nice to know, on regular basis, what Russ and Chris have on their [b]to-do list, and an approximate launch date schedule of various updates and enhancements.[/b]
    Why?

I personally enjoy the surprises.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Jun '07 08:53
    Yes, it would be nice to know.

It would also be nice to know, on regular basis, what Russ and Chris have on their [b]to-do list
    , and an approximate launch date schedule of various updates and enhancements.[/b]
    This is not really possible to provide at the moment, not if it is to be of any value anyway. Priorities change daily (among RHP tasks and other work). I would end up having people chasing me (more PMs...), and I would then have to explain the delays all the time.

The conditional moves code will almost certainly have a beta period, ramping up from a few users until I am satisfied all is well. This will no doubt be discussed here nearer the time, so until that date, no real news, I'm afraid.

-Russ
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '07 16:352 edits
    I was going to ask - how often do the admins read the site ideas forum?
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '07 17:03
    Originally posted by Russ
    This is not really possible to provide at the moment, not if it is to be of any value anyway. Priorities change daily (among RHP tasks and other work). I would end up having people chasing me (more PMs...), and I would then have to explain the delays all the time.

The conditional moves code will almost certainly have a beta period, ramping up from a few us ...[text shortened]... doubt be discussed here nearer the time, so until that date, no real news, I'm afraid.

-Russ
    Okay, I understand the dilemma.
    Thanky you for a quick respons.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 15:02
    Quite frequently, although I can't claim to read every post. And I have now got into the habit of recording thread URLs alongside to-do items, so I can follow up the original thread if something happens.

-Russ
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 18:05
    Originally posted by Russ
    Quite frequently, although I can't claim to read every post. And I have now got into the habit of recording thread URLs alongside to-do items, so I can follow up the original thread if something happens.

-Russ
    Fair enough - I just wondered.
  9. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 11:551 edit
    Originally posted by d36366
    I understand that a conditional moves feature is under development. Any chance of an update on when it is expected to be available?
    NO CONDITIONAL MOVES! PLEASE!

Why? You're supposed to move 1 time. You're supposed to think it through before moving. Blegh. That is not chess. Once the piece is down and your hand leaves it (or you click submit move) it is DONE.

That would be pointless!
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 12:54
    Originally posted by Ramned
    [b] NO CONDITIONAL MOVES! PLEASE!

Why? You're supposed to move 1 time. You're supposed to think it through before moving. Blegh. That is not chess. Once the piece is down and your hand leaves it (or you click submit move) it is DONE.

That would be pointless![/b]
    What if someone is going away for the weekend and they want to conserve their timebank? They delay the move knowing that they can simply jump on the comuter for 2 seconds to make the move on saturday morning instead? While i too would like to see my killer tactic responded to immediately, this feature would remove players control of their time at a point in the game when they clearly need to use some thought! Bad idea in my opinion.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 14:10
    [b] NO CONDITIONAL MOVES! PLEASE!

That would be pointless![/b]
    What would be pointless? We're playing correspondence chess. As far as I'm aware conditional moves have always been allowed in postal chess.

D
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 14:171 edit
    NO CONDITIONAL MOVES! PLEASE!
    GIVE US CONDITIONAL MOVES! PLEASE!

If there is only one answer to my move, then I can foresee his answer, and I have another move in store for him.

The concept of conditional moves makes the games progress more rapidly. An this is exactly what we want.

If CM are implemented in a transparant way, the opponent will not even notice that it was a conditional move.
  13. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 19:17
    [b] GIVE US CONDITIONAL MOVES! PLEASE!

If there is only one answer to my move, then I can foresee his answer, and I have another move in store for him.

The concept of conditional moves makes the games progress more rapidly. An this is exactly what we want.

If CM are implemented in a transparant way, the opponent will not even notice that it was a conditional move.[/b]
    if a conditional move has been prepared, i think that this needs to be visible to the next player to move. Not that i really see the benefit of conditional moves...
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 19:28
    Originally posted by pineapple42
    if a conditional move has been prepared, i think that this needs to be visible to the next player to move. Not that i really see the benefit of conditional moves...
    If my move is obvious, I have anyway a choice : I can resign, I can wait for a while to move, or I can make the obvious move that is already foreseen by my opponent.

Why is it so evil to get his move right away, than sit and wait for him to come with it? If I sit half a second, half a minute, half an hour, half a day, or even half a week, what's the difference? The only diference is that the game progresses more rapidly with conditional moves. I see no wrong in that?

And - as said earlier - this is done by postal correspondence chess, why not here...?
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 19:46
    Originally posted by pineapple42
    That is plain silly.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree