1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 10:09
    @beatlemania said
    @mwmiller
    I'm currently using a Samsung chromebook (the screen is probably a 10-12 inch screen, so not particularly large). The main reason I posted my original post is that this is only happening on the beta and not the normal site, which I'm guessing was not intended (though I could be wrong).
    Currently can't explain this! It could be because of a minor version update to a library we use, but right now, I can't reproduce it.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 10:28
    @russ said
    @Ponderable

The one thing I haven't actually added yet to the new board interface code! I often forget how popular this method is.

edit : Just to be clear, this beta has the current board code. All UI elements are the same as before.
    Indeed point and click works without flaw 🙂
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 11:482 edits
    @russ said
    I use the beta site on a 10" Android tablet in landscape mode.
    Captured pieces show up in a single line, white first, instead of in two separate lines as before.

@Kewpie
    Do you know which version of Android you are using, because I am not seeing this?

edit : Android 9/Chrome on a Tablet (emulated) doesn't reproduce the problem either.
    Samsung Galaxy S2, Android version 7.0.
    Browser Samsung Internet v. 12.1.4.3
    Browser Chrome also has the problem on the same tablet.
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 13:12
    @russ said
    Both are "drag and drop" and should be equivalent, the only difference being that the web interface permits clicking a piece, and then a target tile in two actions too.

When the new board UI code is rolled out in the near future (the work is complete already) I would very much like your input on that if possible.
    Will do.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 13:46
    @kewpie said
    Samsung Galaxy S2, Android version 7.0.
    Browser Samsung Internet v. 12.1.4.3
    Browser Chrome also has the problem on the same tablet.
    Can you check this again please? Thanks.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 18:41
    @venda said
    On the same topic,I have recently started playing on my new chromebook which doesn't have a particularly big screen.The piece lines are fine on the main screen but on the analyze screen I can't scroll down past the giant pieces to see them.Would be nice if something could be done about that.
    Forget this suggestion.I have accidentally discovered the scroll bar under the analysis log which ,when scrolled down allows one to see the captured pieces.It's quite difficult to find on my chromebook but now that I know that it's there .....
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 22:24
    @russ said
    Can you check this again please? Thanks.
    Fixed! Thanks, Russ. ☺
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Oct '20 08:25
    another bug:

in Blog Post 315 a post Greenpawn quoted in a recent post, the Pictures don't Show on the beta while the y do Show on the regular Version.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Oct '20 09:02
    @Ponderable

You can safely ignore that for now. The beta is effectively a separate web site, and all the images in the blog need to reference the production site blog images - which they are currently not.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Oct '20 09:13
    @russ said
    @Ponderable

You can safely ignore that for now. The beta is effectively a separate web site, and all the images in the blog need to reference the production site blog images - which they are currently not.
    Thank you for the fast reply
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 11:141 edit
    Thank you all, I can see some of you really have played most (if not all) of your moves on the beta since made available. Very helpful. I have one more update to make, then will look look at pushing this into production later next week if no further errors present themselves. As a precaution, timeouts maybe suspended for a short period when this happens.

Once that is complete (and bedded in), phase 2 can start, which is the beta.redhotpawn.com domain name will then be reassigned to a new server along with a further build of the RHP code. (The current beta is running on the existing production server in parallel.)
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 13:46
    I see the folder options are in a very slightly different position, that's all I've seen so far, works just like the regular site. Have yet to find the take back button though as I thought that was due to be implemented any day now.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Oct '20 11:252 edits
    I initially hoped to push this out to production this week, but this will be delayed for a week as I'm unexpectedly partially away from my keyboard for a few days. I'm no longer intending to make any (potentially breaking) changes - but if something serious does come up, I'll take down the beta site if unable to fix promptly.

Thanks everyone for helping out (and continuing to test, if you can)
  14. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 11:401 edit
    @Russ

I may have found another glitch in the beta.

When going to the forums, when I click on either the Debates or Only Chess forums, there is now a blog pop-up that appears at the top right part of the forum thread list selected. The blog notice does not show up for any of the other forums. Just the two mentioned. (It's a new blog from greenpawn)

When I click the little x in the upper right corner of the pop-up to close it, the entire page goes blank, instead of just closing the pop-up.
    I must then click the browser left arrow, which takes me back to the previous page which still includes the pop-up I attempted to close.

It does not do this on the regular version of the site. The pop-up only appears on the "Only Chess" forum, and it goes away and stays away once the x is clicked, while the rest of the page remains normal.

If you log out from the beta site, the pop-up is still there when you log on to the beta again, but on the regular site once you close the pop-up, it does not come back the next time you log on.

It isn't anything too major but I thought I should mention it.
    I am on a laptop, using windows 7 and firefox.
  15. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 11:59
    Can't access either platforms with Windows 10 (laptop) at this time. 🤷‍♂️I'll crawl back under my pebble🚬

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree