1. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 04:13
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Thats not unique to Firefox - I am able to open other sites at the same time with IE by just clicking on the "e" in the task bar and it opens my home page again in another window. From there I can browse anywhere. Simple. The site tabs also show up in the bottom task bar - whats so special about FF??

skeeter
    That's not tabbed browsing.
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 05:35
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    That's not tabbed browsing.
    Explain. I can hop from one site to another with the taskbar tabs.

skeeter
  3. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 08:00
    Explain. I can hop from one site to another with the taskbar tabs.

skeeter
    Tabbed browsing is having one window with multiple sites.... IE has many windows with only 1 site in each window
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 09:36
    Originally posted by Chakan
    Tabbed browsing is having one window with multiple sites.... IE has many windows with only 1 site in each window
    So. Whats the difference? As long as your processor is up to speed whats the difference between one window/ multi sites as opposed to multi windows / one site each. Stumps me.

skeeter
  5. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 09:43
    So. Whats the difference? As long as your processor is up to speed whats the difference between one window/ multi sites as opposed to multi windows / one site each. Stumps me.

skeeter
    It`s easier browsing in my opinion.... If I had 15 websites open in IE I would have 15 different windows cluttering up the taskbar whereas with FF I would have 1 window in the taskbar and 15 tabs in that 1 window. Just seems easier.

The best way to explain it is for you to download FF test it out with the tabbing and see if its easier for you... I find it easier but maybe you won`t. Who knows.
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 10:47
    Another advantage is that if you have various bookmarks stored in a submenu, you have the option to open all of them in multiple tabs in one go.

Also, if you want to copy and paste a link into a new window, select the link, use the sequence: CTRL-C, CTRL-T and CTRL-V then return, and you have a new tab with the page you want. Far quicker than in IE.

Not to mention all the extensions (GreaseMonkey being very useful). More control over what cookies are being set. Better security etc.

It is something you appreciate even more after trying it out for a while. Didn't take long to realise that it is far superior to IE (not just for the tabs).
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 10:58
    Originally posted by lausey
    Another advantage is that if you have various bookmarks stored in a submenu, you have the option to open all of them in multiple tabs in one go.

Also, if you want to copy and paste a link into a new window, select the link, use the sequence: CTRL-C, CTRL-T and CTRL-V then return, and you have a new tab with the page you want. Far quicker than in IE.

Not ...[text shortened]... for a while. Didn't take long to realise that it is far superior to IE (not just for the tabs).
    Instead of the copy pasting a link a nice extension called linkify turns text links into clickable thingys. Hold down ctrl and click and it opens in a new tab and keeps the current one in focus.
  8. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 11:03
    Nope. Absolutely nothing that has been posted in this thread offers anything over IE. FF/ Mozilla / Linux - its a snow job. Having your browser / mail services bundled with your OS has distinct advantages.

skeeter
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 11:14
    Nope. Absolutely nothing that has been posted in this thread offers anything over IE. FF/ Mozilla / Linux - its a snow job. Having your browser / mail services bundled with your OS has distinct advantages.

skeeter
    You keep telling yourself that.
  10. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 11:20
    You keep telling yourself that.
    And you keep on kidding yourself.

skeeter
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 12:01

skeeter
    LOL.

Clueless.

D
  12. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 12:44
    Instead of the copy pasting a link a nice extension called linkify turns text links into clickable thingys. Hold down ctrl and click and it opens in a new tab and keeps the current one in focus.
    Cool, will check that out.
  13. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 12:50

skeeter
    Once installed (which only takes minutes on a reasonably fast connection), FF integrates in just as well as IE. I haven't found anyone who has installed and used FF for a while and then said that IE is better (although I am sure people who market for Microsoft would disagree).

Anyway, you carry on with your IE, and we will carry on with our superior browsing capabilities.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 19:081 edit

skeeter
    quote from Firefox

I think that a lot of IE users just see that they are getting pushed by Firefox users to switch, and don't like it that people are telling them 'My browser is sooo superior! You should switch, because your browser sucks.' It pushes people away, and thats not what SFx is about
    -
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node/19663

You could use both IE and FF if you wanted, I do, and Opera.
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 20:08
    Originally posted by lausey
    I haven't found anyone who has installed and used FF for a while and then said that IE is better (although I am sure people who market for Microsoft would disagree).
    Well I'm your first then.

I hate using firefox, I don't find tabbed browsing any better than using Ctrl + N (new window) and ALT + Tab to switch between them.

I find IE much more stable, quicker and generally more pleasant to use.

Note: I don't market for MS, but I do make a lot of money developing for their platform.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree