1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 20:56
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    Well I'm your first then.

I hate using firefox, I don't find tabbed browsing any better than using Ctrl + N (new window) and ALT + Tab to switch between them.

I find IE much more stable, quicker and generally more pleasant to use.

Note: I don't market for MS, but I do make a lot of money developing for their platform.
    Tabbed browsing takes a bit of perseverence to get used to, but is worth it.

One of the greatest things about Firefox for me is the customisability of it. If you have an annoyance with browsing, you can just either get an extension or a greasemonkey script, all of which can be installed without the user having a clue.

D
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 08:09
    One reason I use FF.
    When you are typing out a reply you decide to add somehing from another site so you "open the other site in another window" find what you want and come back to the reply you were typing. Many times in the past when I did that with IE all the previously typed reply disappeared so that I had to redo it all.
    When using FF and Opera it's still all there when you switch between tabs.
    I first tried mozilla years ago,didn't like it and got rid of it after a week but it's much improved now and I have used it for a year or more happily.
    And when you hear that the FBI recommended anyone concerned about security to use FF it must be worth considering, I reckon.
  3. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 08:56
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    One reason I use FF.
    When you are typing out a reply you decide to add somehing from another site so you "open the other site in another window" find what you want and come back to the reply you were typing. Many times in the past when I did that with IE all the previously typed reply disappeared so that I had to redo it all.
    When using FF and Opera ...[text shortened]... commended anyone concerned about security to use FF it must be worth considering, I reckon.
    Anything that the FBI recommend using has to be rejected, on case history alone. Whatever little tricks FF/ Mozilla/ Linux has to offer, the bottom line is that it's still all shareware. No one owns it and when your network crashes - who you gonna call?

skeeter
  4. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 09:02
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Anything that the FBI recommend using has to be rejected, on case history alone. Whatever little tricks FF/ Mozilla/ Linux has to offer, the bottom line is that it's still all shareware. No one owns it and when your network crashes - who you gonna call?

skeeter
    Like Microsofts help is any good ... please!

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 09:53
    Whatever little tricks FF/ Mozilla/ Linux has to offer, the bottom line is that it's still all shareware. No one owns it and when your network crashes - who you gonna call?

skeeter
    I thought you were always saying that you were a computer whizz? Its blatantly obvious that you know less about computers than you know about interacting with human beings.

D
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 16:05
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Tabbed browsing takes a bit of perseverence to get used to, but is worth it.

D
    I'm well used to "tabbed browsing" having used it for YEARS in safari on my OSX box. I much prefer a the IE way of using a new window and alt+tab to switch between them. But to each his own.
  7. Standard memberscrumpymanjack
    Albert King is God
    Mexico City
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 01:01
    Sorry to be behind the curve here but I don't get chessatwork at all. When I enter all I get is this site in a different colour (black). So what is different and what am I doing wrong? In short where is the stealth?
  8. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 05:53
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    One reason I use FF.
    When using FF and Opera ...[text shortened]... commended anyone concerned about security to use FF it must be worth considering, I reckon.
    It's all bull manure. So called "tabbed browsing" has nothing to offer over "open in new window" . And MS have been doing it better and longer. The Mozilla/FF/Linux package is all retro. Stick with main stream.

skeeter
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 08:02
    Fact.
    ActiveX = spyware/security risks = Microsoft IE
    No ActiveX = safer all round = Firefox.
  10. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 08:04
    Originally posted by scrumpymanjack
    Sorry to be behind the curve here but I don't get chessatwork at all. When I enter all I get is this site in a different colour (black). So what is different and what am I doing wrong? In short where is the stealth?
    Timeforchess, Redhotpawn, Chessatwork are all the same sites... just different color schemes.
  11. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 10:26
    Originally posted by Chakan
    Timeforchess, Redhotpawn, Chessatwork are all the same sites... just different color schemes.
    Why couldn't they just create one theme based site? I wonder?
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 13:481 edit
    Originally posted by scrumpymanjack
    Presumably so that when you have it on your screen [at work] it looks more like something that should be there - hence the name.
  13. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 00:42
    It's all bull manure. So called "tabbed browsing" has nothing to offer over "open in new window" . And MS have been doing it better and longer. The Mozilla/FF/Linux package is all retro. Stick with main stream.

skeeter
    It isn't just about tabbed browsing. That is a very tiny feature that FF offers. You don't even have to use this and open in a new window like with IE (which you can Alt-Tab between like any other application).

I am talking about the vast amount of extensions (you could even write one yourself if you were so inclined) which can be latched onto FF to enhance what FF can do. For example, this handy dictionary tooltip:

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1171&application=firefox

Just need to browse around to see its potential.

Not saying that you have to like it (just like tmetzler does not and does not have to), but to ridicule FF without trying it out does not seem to make sense to me. Your only justification for IE is because MS has been doing it for longer??? As for being better, that is a matter of opinion (of which you have to have experience with both to make such an opinion).
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 10:09
    Originally posted by lausey
    It isn't just about tabbed browsing. That is a very tiny feature that FF offers. You don't even have to use this and open in a new window like with IE (which you can Alt-Tab between like any other application).

I am talking about the vast amount of extensions (you could even write one yourself if you were so inclined) which can be latched onto FF to enhanc ...[text shortened]... a matter of opinion (of which you have to have experience with both to make such an opinion).
    True, I currently have 27 extensions installed along with 4 greasemonkey scripts to completely customise browsing to the way I want it.

I'm more interested in Negative Ebay feedback than pos feedback, so quick installation of a Greasemonkey Script, and suddenly I have extra tabs only detailing negative and neutral feedback.

I find it annoying that imdb doesn't set the focus to the Movie searchbox when the page loads, another quick script installation and it does.

I go blind when reading white writing on black background. Quick click on an extension and suddenly, the page looks exactly as I want it.

I don't like those flash adverts, where when you mouseover, they take over your screen. Installation of Flashblock and flash animations are replaced with a play button, so I can play the ones I want.

None of this customisation is possible in IE. Nevermind the security holes in IE. That's why, in my opinion, FF is infinitely better than IE. I'm now in control.

D
  15. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 14:39

skeeter
    The new version of IE has tabbed browsing included, so even Microsoft seem to disagree with you on that point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree