Moves
    27 Nov '07 17:47

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    12 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 21:52
    I think it is a great idea,a bit of recognition for the loyal clan members can never be a bad thing.🙂
  3. Joined
    22 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 21:55
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    I would [b]not go for length of time in clan, since there are many examples of people who are in a clan for a long time but hardly play a game or are even unavailable/inactive for a long time..

However, amount of games played for the clan is a good one..
    (although then you might just see that clan members of clans such as Metallica and IVV ...[text shortened]... only win 30% of that) to harvest points regardless of quality..

Just my humble opinion..[/b]
    agreed. I think net points based indicator could be helpful for clan leaders when arranging challenges for members (lower net points probably suggest the leader to arrange game against lower rated, and vise versa). Surely it'll be useful 🙂
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 02:42
    Originally posted by Russ
    I want to recognise loyalty to a clan, and indicate with an icon how many games someone has won for the clan during challenges. (Or just played, regardless of result, if people prefer)

The long term active members of a clan will then be obvious to all, and this will hopefully promote loyalty to the clan and avoid people jumping between clans.

-Russ
    The only thing that will show loyalty to a clan is the date you joined them.

Going on games played/won does not show loyalty as such, it just shows how active you are.

Who is more loyal

Member A who joined Clan May 2000 played 240 games and won 140

or

Member B who joined Clan May 2004 plays 90 games and won 88

or

Member C who joined clan May 2006 played 200 games and won 80

All do their part for the clan but in totally different ways.
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 02:47
    Originally posted by kyue
    agreed. I think net points based indicator could be helpful for clan leaders when arranging challenges for members (lower net points probably suggest the leader to arrange game against lower rated, and vise versa). Surely it'll be useful 🙂
    What about players who are willing to play higher rated opponents and in general will have lower net points as a result.

There is quite often horsetrading within the challenges where a 150 point differential may be given for two pairs so that the challenge "evens out". A 1200 player may be paired with a 1350 players and his team-mate a 1900 player could be paired with a 1750 player.
  6. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 04:19
    Badmoon, leader of Jazz and Blues clan, keeps the stats on the website, perhaps you can get ideas from how he totals, rather impressive. Goto:
    http://www.freewebs.com/jazzandblues/chessnotes.htm
  7. Joined
    23 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 06:04
    Att Russ - GREAT IDEA!!!
  8. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 12:551 edit
    How about this for loyalty, although I think it may get to be complicated.

A general idea is time in clan x games played + games won divide by age of clan = Military rank.

I think this may offer the best overall ranking method.

so a player that has played 1500 games been, won 1100, in a clan 900 days (using days for what I think would be the easiest breakdown measure) and the clan is 950 days old

900x(1500+1100) /950 = 2463.15

Now the only part I don't have figured out is where the ranking breakouts should be at. But I do believe this may be the fairest method for determining clan loyalty and using what all would want to represent them.

I don't think it fair to shirk off those who play little but win most of their games, nor do I think it fair to ignore those who play tons of games for their perspective clans.
  9. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 13:06
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    I can give some credit to this point..

Right now you can play the same person in 4 different clans..
    I do support loyalty, and I do think that bringing down the amount of clans you can be in, supports this idea!

1 clan might be a problem for the clan leaders, so I'd suggest 2 clans max!

If you are in 2 clans and you want to create a clan to beco ...[text shortened]... e.. (a football player normally plays in 1 team too, not for 4 teams in the same league....)
    I know I oppose this idea as well. I am in 4 clans and lead 1 of them. I have friends in all of these clans and have no intention of leaving any of them. They are all aware of the clans I am in and I maintain what I feel is a rather heavy game load. All of my clans are glad to have me as a valued member of their clan. Forcing my hand to drop clans at this point is not really a move I would want to make, and certain that Pooh IVV and Dead men would want it either.

On a different note though, If you want to maintain your own loyalty to your 1 clan then so be it. Just don't force others to do the same. This clan ranking is a very good idea to show your loyalty to your clans.
  10. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 13:25
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    A general idea is time in clan x games played + games won divide by age of clan = Military rank.

so a player that has played 1500 games been, won 1100, in a clan 900 days (using days for what I think would be the easiest breakdown measure) and the clan is 950 days old

900x(1500+1100) /950 = 2463.15
    But these figures do not work well for people who join the clan at the same time but play different amounts of games.

Two members join 100 days ago, clan is 400 days old

One plays 1000 games and wins 400
    One plays 100 games but wins 80

100x(1000+400)/400 = 350
    100x(100+80)/400 = 45

How do you justify that one member has a better "military rank" than the other, when they have both been loyal for same amount of days?
  11. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 14:07
    Originally posted by adramforall
    But these figures do not work well for people who join the clan at the same time but play different amounts of games.

Two members join 100 days ago, clan is 400 days old

One plays 1000 games and wins 400
    One plays 100 games but wins 80

100x(1000+400)/400 = 350
    100x(100+80)/400 = 45

How do you justify that one member has a better "military rank" than the other, when they have both been loyal for same amount of days?
    What I am trying to show is all aspects of clan games here. I do believe that all methods of recognition for loyalty should be seen. If you wanted to add rating into the mix of numbers to help show loyalty as well I suppose to help show that end.

In other words, maybe time in clan x (clan games+clan wins) /clan age x 100 day rating.

100x(1000+400)/400x1300 = 455000 ( I think these figures will get massive though)
    100x(100+80)/400x1300 =58500

The big thing I don't want to do is have this dependent upon a formula that will get to complicated for most to follow, but involves what appears to be the most important aspect for all who want to show loyalty.
    From what I hae seen thus far, the most important aspects have been length of time, total games, and total wins. But I also think you need to figure in age of clan, as using just those first few figures will lead to some major league points for the older clans with some very long standing members.

Maybe another variant as well:

Length in clan x (total games/total wins) /age of clan

100x(1000/400)/400 =.625
    100x(100/80)/400 = .3125
  12. Standard memberAfeliz
    Mr. Smart trousers
    No it's not!!
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 17:451 edit
    I think it's a good idea. Maybe we can have both ranks and little insignias. So rank would show time in the clan while insignias would show games won for the clan (or average, considering higher rated players play less games) How about that?

Maybe average for higher rated players and number of games for lower rated players. A combination of those would be quite cool.
  13. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 17:471 edit
    I'm a one-clan man and like the idea of loyalty being acknowledged. The maths is a bit beyond me though.

(P.S. I don't mind players being in multiple clans if they enjoy a high game load)
  14. Standard memberGalaKev
    Borderer
    Scotland
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 21:54
    Needs to be on games played only.

An 800 player who plays and loses is just as loyal as a 2000+ player who wins all their games. Why should you penalise those who are not as good players.

Good idea but IMO above, not on wins.
  15. Joined
    30 Jan '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 22:29
    There's a nice parallel between Russ's idea and the star system, which is based strictly on moves, and thus highly correlated with games played.

I suspect that systems based on games played and games won would eventually look very similar. It's a self-correcting system: win lots of games, rating goes up, tougher opponents in clan challenges, lose lots of games (and I speak from experience 😕).

There are several players in my own clan who have done much more than I to bring about our dramatic success, and I'd like to see them recognized. It's not unfair to require that for a member to make, say, top sergeant, he or she must either stay with the clan for a long time, or play lots of games for the clan for a shorter time.

Consider what it's like in the real world - what does clan loyalty mean? Surely something like the willingness to sacrifice one's blood, tears, and equanimity, over and over again, for the greater good. And what greater good is there than seeing one's clan rise 150 places in two and a half years?

The only other criterion that makes sense to me is to count the number of taunts, goads, and finely worded insults posted in the Clans forum - but maybe that's not a good idea 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree