1. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 20:44
    Originally posted by Russ
    I am just considering a small change to the clan system (one part of many planned) but thought I would run it past some of you first.

I want to recognise loyalty to a clan, and indicate with an icon how many games someone has won for the clan during challenges. (Or just played, regardless of result, if people prefer)

So, I am proposing an icon, probabl ...[text shortened]... ) for a clan.

This idea is not influenced by time spent playing Halo 3, honest 😉

-Russ
    Good idea! Games played for a clan is a better way to recocognise loyalty to a clan than either length of service or games won
  2. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:19
    Originally posted by Russ
    I am just considering a small change to the clan system (one part of many planned) but thought I would run it past some of you first.

I want to recognise loyalty to a clan, and indicate with an icon how many games someone has won for the clan during challenges. (Or just played, regardless of result, if people prefer)

So, I am proposing an icon, probabl ...[text shortened]... ) for a clan.

This idea is not influenced by time spent playing Halo 3, honest 😉

-Russ
    Love the idea!! Will the stripes be retroactively given, based on clan creation date, and original membership dates? Hoping so, and that it doesn't start on date you activate.
  3. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:35
    Losses by time move outs should be somehow (negatively) considered.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:41
    Originally posted by SJ247
    Love the idea!! Will the stripes be retroactively given, based on clan creation date, and original membership dates? Hoping so, and that it doesn't start on date you activate.
    Yes.

-Russ
  5. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 19:02
    I'm in favour of Russ' original proposal, which is acknowledging players who stick with their clan, not leaping about. How many points you've won for the clan is quite different and should be considered separately. One system and symbol for loyaly. Another for wins that you've delivered for the team.
  6. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 19:23
    Originally posted by drdon
    Good idea! Games played for a clan is a better way to recocognise loyalty to a clan than either length of service or games won
    agreed.... you can be in a clan for a year and only play 30 games. Yet join another and play 120 in three months.....

go figure which is best.
  7. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 11:36
    Originally posted by mochiron
    agreed.... you can be in a clan for a year and only play 30 games. Yet join another and play 120 in three months.....

go figure which is best.
    Most higher rated players play usually much less games than lower rted players, because they probably invest more time and energy per game. They may contribute to the Clan in other ways, e.g. helping lower rated players in post game analysis. So, I don't think that just counting the number of games played for a certain Clan expresses the loyality of a member. It is one important point, but not everything.
  8. New York
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 12:06
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    I would [b]not go for length of time in clan, since there are many examples of people who are in a clan for a long time but hardly play a game or are even unavailable/inactive for a long time..

However, amount of games played for the clan is a good one..
    (although then you might just see that clan members of clans such as Metallica and IVV ...[text shortened]... only win 30% of that) to harvest points regardless of quality..

Just my humble opinion..[/b]
    I agree with Amsterdamn. I would prefer the grades to be indicative of the percentage of clan games won. If you win 100% of your clan games, you should get the highest rating. This will also spur future development, as you can go down a grade if you start to lose too many.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 12:28
    Loyalty is about commitment and dedication and not how well you can play.

Therefore,the amount of games you win does not make you any more loyal than a member who wins none.
  10. New York
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 12:58
    In that case, I'm asking for something different.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 15:52
    Originally posted by Swiss Toni
    I agree with Amsterdamn. I would prefer the grades to be indicative of the percentage of clan games won. If you win 100% of your clan games, you should get the highest rating. This will also spur future development, as you can go down a grade if you start to lose too many.
    The percentage of clan games you win depends very much on what challenges your clan leader sets up or accepts. This can also be true for the number of games you play for the clan - if your clan leader sets up fewer challenges than you'd like to play, it doesn't say anything about your loyalty.

The more I think and read about the idea, the less I like it. I don't think it's possible to find a way to measure loyalty that everybody would agree with or that would apply equally well to all clans. I think loyalty means different things to different people, and it also means different things for different clans because they have different goals. Also, contributions like tutoring other clan members or setting up a webpage for the clan can't be measured at all, but may be your way of showing your loyalty to the clan.
  12. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 16:17
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    The percentage of clan games you win depends very much on what challenges your clan leader sets up or accepts.
    Good example. Just imagine a 20-20 challenge of two Clans, which might be on average balanced (or not). Who is doing more for the Clan? The one who has two easy wins against a significantly lower rated player, or the one who has a very strong opponent, and by putting a lot of effort into the games might be happy (and proud) to get a draw and a loss.
  13. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 04:24
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    The percentage of clan games you win depends very much on what challenges your clan leader sets up or accepts. This can also be true for the number of games you play for the clan - if your clan leader sets up fewer challenges than you'd like to play, it doesn't say anything about your loyalty.

The more I think and read about the idea, the less I like it. ...[text shortened]... the clan can't be measured at all, but may be your way of showing your loyalty to the clan.
    The only argument that has stood out to me, against using time served as the measure, is a lurking member. If this doesn't sit well for the clan leader, don't allow lurking members. Easy.

I think it should be based on time, not game/win number.
  14. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 20:51
    I like the idea Russ.
    Maybe clan members can earn a stripe or whatever you choose after so many wins for a clan. Or maybe wins and draws, any non losses. I think I would forget the win loss thing. I think this could throw many for a loop that are having a bad streak in chess. But maybe just count wins and draws for the clan and after so many the clan member gets a stripe for that clan.
    That way all members have a equal chance for stripes and all members if they stick with that clan will sooner or later earn stripes for their clan or clans. Just a idea to ponder.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 02:39
    there are too many variables..only the clan leader knows who deserves what for what...a box below the clan list that allows the clan leader to say what they want to say is the best thing...and admin is not involved in the creation and messages about errors, etc. for the rest of their lives...want the price to go up more ?....just give admin more work...clan leaders with a post shout box detail EXACTLY what they want to say, who to say it about, for how long they want to say it, take the gripes and errors themselves and russ and chriss can get an afternoon off with the family...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree