Clubs consultation thread

Clubs consultation thread

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
08 Mar 08

I don't think this has been mentioned, but a MAXIMUM number of members to any particular club should definitely be made. I think it makes sense to keep clubs to a limit of 75 or 100 players, particularly because it would ruin the idea if you have 3 clubs with a huge amount of members, and a huge amount of clubs with very few members - they should maintain as much balance as possible.

I'd also like to figure out more about the club ratings, like some people, I don't think the clubs serve enough of a purpose unless there is the ability to have club games which only affect your club rating. I mean, from there, you can have club tournaments and stuff which would be pretty awesome.

k

Moves
08 Mar 08

I don't think we know how exactly this will work, it's a nice experiment though.

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
08 Mar 08

I think the whole club thing is fun. After the recent downtime it's nice to have another feature. And rather gratifying to see this site is run in the traditional English way: introduce something half baked and then run around afterwards trying to sort all the problems out 🙂

There's been some talk about club admins running their own game moderation. I'm spectacularly unqualified to do this, or I would have volunteered for the new mod team. I'll still rely on the site to do this. I don't see anything in Russ' original post about this being done by clubs, just that clubs introduce such a profusion of different ratings that feeding one rating from wins against a second account becomes so difficult as to be pointless. Of course some club admins may wish and be able to do moderation.

Hopefully if forums get going a sense of community and association will begin to develop. Particularly nice that we can have non subs. I regularly play with a couple of non sub friends so it'll be nice to have that.

I hope this doesn't develop into something that devalues the clan system. I know people have expressed concerns that this will happen and I certainly wouldn't like to see that.

Whatever happens, it's good to see the site isn't stagnating.

Moves
08 Mar 08

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
08 Mar 08

Originally posted by Lukerik
And rather gratifying to see this site is run in the traditional English way: introduce something half baked and then run around afterwards trying to sort all the problems out 🙂
Half baked is rather generous actually! 🙂

Russ

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
08 Mar 08

Originally posted by cmsMaster
I don't think this has been mentioned, but a MAXIMUM number of members to any particular club should definitely be made. I think it makes sense to keep clubs to a limit of 75 or 100 players, particularly because it would ruin the idea if you have 3 clubs with a huge amount of members, and a huge amount of clubs with very few members - they should maintain ...[text shortened]... . I mean, from there, you can have club tournaments and stuff which would be pretty awesome.
I assumed that the idea was to be in one club only and that when you played someone from another club, then both your "personal" club rating and the "club" as a whole rating would be affected.

The club idea being just like a massive clan, though non subs are allowed.

These are just my thoughts and may be totally different to what Russ envisioned.

Until we get more input from Russ we will remin in the dark.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
08 Mar 08

Just think mini-sites within the main umbrella site, with their own memberships, and you are not far off what we are shooting for here.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
08 Mar 08

Originally posted by adramforall
I assumed that the idea was to be in one club only and that when you played someone from another club, then both your "personal" club rating and the "club" as a whole rating would be affected.

The club idea being just like a massive clan, though non subs are allowed.

These are just my thoughts and may be totally different to what Russ envisioned.

Until we get more input from Russ we will remin in the dark.
No, you have a "club rating" per club.

This rating is only modified when you play another member of that club.

If you join multiple clubs (and so does one of your opponents), then one game could be rated many times (once for each club you share membership).

-Russ

Moves
08 Mar 08

I don't know whether this has been asked before, but will clubs be able to organise tournaments for their members who are also subscribers?

I know that non-subscribers will not be able to play in tournaments.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
08 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by David Tebb
I don't know whether this has been asked before, but will clubs be able to organise tournaments for their members who are also subscribers?

I know that non-subscribers will not be able to play in tournaments.
Yes.

Club ratings, cub private forum, club tournaments. That pretty much sums up what I at least plan to implement, anyway.

-Russ

A

Amsterdam

Moves
08 Mar 08

Originally posted by Russ
Yes.

Club ratings, cub private forum, club tournaments. That pretty much sums up what I at least plan to implement, anyway.

-Russ
Why be a subscriber then?

The only real difference that remains is the amount of games that you can play..

l

Moves
08 Mar 08

So the only novelty here is a bunch of different ratings; after all, forums and private tournaments are already clan features. And the idea behind a bunch of different ratings is somehow to make cheating more difficult, or at least less attractive (though it hasn't been explained how the opportunity to engineer a bunch of bogus ratings makes cheating less attractive), or at least less of a headache for the site admins. And in order to achieve these bunches of ratings, the site is going to devolve into a bunch of minisites.

Will the lead admins be able to set their own subscription fees?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
08 Mar 08

Originally posted by Amsterdamn
Why be a subscriber then?

The only real difference that remains is the amount of games that you can play..
Non-subs still need to subscribe to join tournaments.

-Russ

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Mar 08

Originally posted by Russ
No, you have a "club rating" per club.

This rating is only modified when you play another member of that club.

If you join multiple clubs (and so does one of your opponents), then one game could be rated many times (once for each club you share membership).

-Russ
What happens if you leave a club and rejoin later? Do you re-start from 1200?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
08 Mar 08

Undecided about this, and about starting ratings. Adding provisional club ratings is a lot of work, but without it the rating system will not function terribly well.

-Russ