establish volunteers for newby care

establish volunteers for newby care

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
18 Mar 13

This has been vented some times, I just renwe the idea.

Craete a group of people willing to play and help newbies, and suggest to new members those as opponents.

The typical newby care person should

* move frequently
* know the way around in the site
* be open to play a lot of p1200.

I know that some of us are doing this already. But if the system would assigen games to (preferably online) members of such a group probably some people would stay rather than start a few games and vanish.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
18 Mar 13

Are you volunteering?

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
18 Mar 13

I could let them win and play this song at the end of the game.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
18 Mar 13

Seriously I don't mind playing new people
so long as they move frequently.
But very few of them do.

There was one person who shall remain nameless
who wouldn't play me when I arrived first.
I was treated with contempt instead of a hearty welcome.
This guy is a frequent poster on the chess only forum.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
18 Mar 13
2 edits

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
There was one person who shall remain nameless
who wouldn't play me when I arrived first.
I was treated with contempt instead of a hearty welcome.
This guy is a frequent poster on the chess only forum.
Real contempt, or was the game simply deleted? Many of us, including myself, delete unexpected games because we have enough games in progress already and don't want to overstretch ourselves.

I'm also in favour of a greeters' list, and Russ has said it's a good idea, it's just low on his list of priority list of things to do.
We could almost implement this ourselves: create a Welcomers' Club, and then all he'd have to do is provide a clickable link to it on the sign-up screen.

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
19 Mar 13

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
19 Mar 13

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
19 Mar 13

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
19 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Ponderable
This has been vented some times, I just renwe the idea.

Craete a group of people willing to play and help newbies, and suggest to new members those as opponents.

The typical newby care person should

* move frequently
* know the way around in the site
* be open to play a lot of p1200.

I know that some of us are doing this already. But if the ...[text shortened]... embers of such a group probably some people would stay rather than start a few games and vanish.
Yes, I think once 'beta' is fully operational we should really push for this...in fact no, the SITE should give incentives to push further with it, along with the RIGHT people effectively volunteering more of their time to RHP, all to guide new members through their initial few months here...it's not rocket science to see the need, I'm sure the site has good statistics showing just how many stay the course here, and just how many just up and leave after very few games.
As regard your note of 'requirements'; I don;t think there's the need to 'move frequently' however, I personally think that the most important aspect is to be 'well acquainted' with the site...you can't be too mothering, and I think it's a bit unreasonable to play lots of new members at the same time. I would be curious to see just how many actually take the offer of any 'scheme' offered in the first place. I'm unsure as to whether I'd have taken the offer as I'm just less likely to ask...if I'm wary of any 'offered aid' I'll seek things out for myself, even if it takes an eternity to achieve the desired result...for that reason alone, I do believe that the wording of any 'new member site orientation open invite' ( lol ) would have to be carefully considered. Bearing in mind the above comment on how it should be worded, I think 'Kewpie' is right with 'provide a clickable link to it on the sign-up screen', this could be achieved in the same manner that when accessing the chess forum, 'greenpawn's blog' has the link available for quite some time after he publishes any new addition.
Perhaps an invite to put your name forward would suffice, the site can then take their 'pick of the crop' lol...

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
19 Mar 13

This should have been in place a decade a go. The only stalling point for me was the details of how to assign a new user to a mentor.

We don't want to assign every new user to a mentor - any volunteers will soon be overburdened - so perhaps a link on the my game/new game page for those yet to complete game.

Seeing the enthusiasm for this idea here from you guys, reminds me why I really need to make this happen.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
19 Mar 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
Real contempt, or was the game simply deleted? Many of us, including myself, delete unexpected games because we have enough games in progress already and don't want to overstretch ourselves.

I'm also in favour of a greeters' list, and Russ has said it's a good idea, it's just low on his list of priority list of things to do.
We could almost implement t ...[text shortened]... ub, and then all he'd have to do is provide a clickable link to it on the sign-up screen.
Yes real contempt. An exchange took place where the player in question
made it clear that he didn't want to play me because I was as he put it
( a Provo ) no not a terrorist, a newbie. It was a very unpleasant exchange
and I was offended. I had only arrived on the site and considered
not coming back.

Thankfully I met some nice people who persuaded me to stay and
they played some games with me. The experience I got from them
was enough to convince me to become a subscriber and I am glad I
stayed because it is a good site with some good people and it is the
only website on all the internet that I have actually given any money to.

I must point out that later on ( much later on ) the person in question
messaged me and hoped that I did not take offence by his offhand manner.
He made it clear that he disliked playing newbies because they often
disappear and this leaves him feeling frustrated. He was sorry for
any offence given. I thanked him for his message.
This player is a deeply committed chess player and long may he
continue to grace this site.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
22 Mar 13

Originally posted by Russ
This should have been in place a decade a go. The only stalling point for me was the details of how to assign a new user to a mentor.

We don't want to assign every new user to a mentor - any volunteers will soon be overburdened - so perhaps a link on the my game/new game page for those yet to complete game.

Seeing the enthusiasm for this idea here from you guys, reminds me why I really need to make this happen.
For the record:

Yes I volunteer

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
23 Mar 13

Originally posted by Ponderable
For the record:

Yes I volunteer
1. Ponderable
2. Kewpie

chemist