Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member bosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    06 May '06 09:00 / 1 edit
    Since multi-round tournaments can take months and years to finish, here's an idea to keep them moving along.

    Rather than waiting for every game to finish in a round before starting the next one, how about just waiting until its undisputed who the participants will be?

    For example, right now in the first round of the Sprint Iota 1/7 tournament, there is only one game left, dweezil vs. kavrod, in Group nine. However no matter the outcome of this game, the undisputed winner of this group is Zabano, so this game is insignificant. The second round could be on its way already.
  2. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    06 May '06 09:02
    Originally posted by bosintang
    Since multi-round tournaments can take months and years to finish, here's an idea to keep them moving along.

    Rather than waiting for every game to finish in a round before starting the next one, how about just waiting until its undisputed who the participants will be?

    For example, right now in the first round of the Sprint Iota 1/7 tournament, there ...[text shortened]... group is Zabano, so this game is insignificant. The second round could be on its way already.
    I have a feeling this is soon to be implemented.
  3. Standard member Smiffy
    SPS CLAN
    06 May '06 12:38
    I agree with that aswell just get them moving along instead of waiting for games that are not going to effect the outcome.
  4. 06 May '06 15:45
    Originally posted by bosintang
    Since multi-round tournaments can take months and years to finish, here's an idea to keep them moving along.

    Rather than waiting for every game to finish in a round before starting the next one, how about just waiting until its undisputed who the participants will be?

    For example, right now in the first round of the Sprint Iota 1/7 tournament, there ...[text shortened]... group is Zabano, so this game is insignificant. The second round could be on its way already.
    The easiest way to accomplish this would be to assign a group of volunteers at "tournament mods" these mods could start and progress tournaments, and remove people from tournaments. This would also allow members to request that someone in a banded tournament be looked at if the player is clearly at an artificial low rating.
  5. Standard member Smiffy
    SPS CLAN
    06 May '06 15:53
    well we have game mods maybe they should start doing what you say with tournaments removing players and so on.
  6. 06 May '06 21:25
    Originally posted by smiffy
    well we have game mods maybe they should start doing what you say with tournaments removing players and so on.
    Tournament mods? good idea.
  7. Standard member reader1107
    petting the cat
    06 May '06 23:41
    I agree. It would also take care of the problem of having to wait to time out a game when the opponent has already been removed from the site. For some time banks that could end up being three looooooooong weeks.
  8. Standard member bosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    07 May '06 04:06
    Originally posted by Coconut
    The easiest way to accomplish this would be to assign a group of volunteers at "tournament mods" these mods could start and progress tournaments, and remove people from tournaments. This would also allow members to request that someone in a banded tournament be looked at if the player is clearly at an artificial low rating.
    I think we are talking about two different things. I think tournament games still in progress should still be played out, just that if they are not significant to the overall standings, the next round should go on without waiting for them to finish.
  9. Standard member Hindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    07 May '06 19:50
    Originally posted by bosintang
    Since multi-round tournaments can take months and years to finish, here's an idea to keep them moving along.

    Rather than waiting for every game to finish in a round before starting the next one, how about just waiting until its undisputed who the participants will be?

    For example, right now in the first round of the Sprint Iota 1/7 tournament, there ...[text shortened]... group is Zebano, so this game is insignificant. The second round could be on its way already.
    Rec'd...

    The same thing has happened in the 2006 tournament: 2 games remain and win or lose, they will make no change to the leader of the group.

    Tournament 941

    Moving on tournaments once the group winners have been decided happens in pretty much all sports (tennis and snooker especially) and so I see no reason why this shouldn't be the case too!
  10. 07 May '06 22:43
    Originally posted by bosintang
    I think we are talking about two different things.
    We certainly are not. Tournament mods would offer a Non-automated way for tournaments to progress. A player could submit a query that would be fielded by a tournament mod. The TM would check the tournament, and if it can indeed be progressed without all the games being completed, the TM will push it onward.

    Only 2 or 3 mods would be required. I volunteer.
  11. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    08 May '06 00:01
    Originally posted by Coconut
    We certainly are not. Tournament mods would offer a Non-automated way for tournaments to progress. A player could submit a query that would be fielded by a tournament mod. The TM would check the tournament, and if it can indeed be progressed without all the games being completed, the TM will push it onward.

    Only 2 or 3 mods would be required. I volunteer.
    You are talking about 2 different things.

    Russ has already mentioned that he should allow tournaments to progress when all the people to go through to the next round have been decided. That should be automatic.

    Tournament mods looking at players and the bands that they are playing in, is a completely different issue.

    D
  12. 08 May '06 01:05
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    You are talking about 2 different things.

    Russ has already mentioned that he should allow tournaments to progress when all the people to go through to the next round have been decided. That should be automatic.

    Tournament mods looking at players and the bands that they are playing in, is a completely different issue.

    D
    Maybe. If Russ wants to program an automated system to progress tournaments, great. If not, it can be done by a few tournament mods whose duties would ALSO include enforcing banded tournaments.
  13. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    08 May '06 01:26
    Originally posted by bosintang
    Since multi-round tournaments can take months and years to finish, here's an idea to keep them moving along.

    Rather than waiting for every game to finish in a round before starting the next one, how about just waiting until its undisputed who the participants will be?

    For example, right now in the first round of the Sprint Iota 1/7 tournament, there ...[text shortened]... group is Zabano, so this game is insignificant. The second round could be on its way already.
    It's been brought up before and i agree in principal, however it has to be considered that this will mean that some people will end up playing games in round two while they are still playing games in round one. If the group size is quite big, then they might end up with a few more games than they really want. I would imagine this would be more of a problem in long hall tournaments with big groups, but needs to be considered all the same as some players only play a limited amount of games...
  14. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    08 May '06 01:29
    Originally posted by Coconut
    Maybe. If Russ wants to program an automated system to progress tournaments, great. If not, it can be done by a few tournament mods whose duties would ALSO include enforcing banded tournaments.
    Yep, tournament moderators are needed! All official chess tournaments have Arbiters to deal with Players complaints and to ensure the rules are respected by all participants. I have volunteered for this already, as has Skeeter, Galaxyshield and a number of other people who i can't remember off hand. Still not had a response...
  15. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    08 May '06 08:27 / 1 edit
    what we need is a nice efficient simple 100% reliable algorithm to determine when the result is without dispute ...

    then tell russ about it.

    (an attempt:
    consider the points as they are already given ... suppose PlayerL has the most points.
    assign also a second lot of points ... these points are 3 points for every game the player still has in progress ... they represent a win by EACH player in every game in progress.
    if PlayerL has more of the first type of points than the combined points for any other player then the group is without dispute)